Author Topic: U2 Duals Tracklisting  (Read 20474 times)

hmtmkmkm

U2 Duals Tracklisting
« on: February 07, 2011, 07:02:48 PM »
Time for a post about the latest Subscriber Promotional CD, now that the tracklisting has been released.

1.         WHERE THE STREETS HAVE NO NAME
            U2 and Soweto Gospel Choir
2.         THE WANDERER
            U2 and Johnny Cash
3.         FALLING AT YOUR FEET
            Bono and Danny Lanois           
4.         MISS SARAJEVO
            Passengers and Luciano Pavarotti
5.         SLOW DANCING
            U2 and Willie Nelson
6.         THE SAINTS ARE COMING
            U2 and Green Day
7.         SUNDAY BLOODY SUNDAY (Live from Auckland)
            U2 and Jay-Z
8.         ONE
            U2 and Mary J Blige
9.         WHEN LOVE COMES TO TOWN
            U2 and BB King
10.       STUCK IN A MOMENT YOU CAN’T GET OUT OF (Live at the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame)
            U2 and Mick Jagger 
11.       THE BALLAD OF RONNIE DREW
            U2, The Dubliners, Kíla, A Band of Bowsies
12.       I’M NOT YOUR BABY
            U2 and Sinead O’Connor
13.       STRANDED (HAITI MON AMOUR) – Hybrid Mix
            Jay-Z, Bono, The Edge, Rihanna
14.       DRUNK CHICKEN / AMERICA
            U2 and Allen Ginsberg
15.       AMAZING GRACE
            U2 and Soweto Gospel Choir

I'm a collector but not as good as some others here so I'm not sure of exactly which ones haven't been released before but I'm looking forward to hearing a rendition of Stuck In A Moment with... Mick Jagger of all people, I'm Not Your Baby with Sinead O'Connor, Falling At Your Feet – a song I haven't heard before – and Sunday Bloody Sunday from Auckland, not that I care much for Jay-Z's interruption.
Disappointed to see a track space used for The Saints Are Coming. Never liked that collaboration. And for someone like myself, there aren't that many doubles on there.

What does everyone think?

Z000

• And I have no reasons, no reasons to get back
Re: U2 Duals Tracklisting
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 09:45:31 PM »
According to the site's discography, in whatever shape it currently is, the only one that hasn't been released before is Sunday Bloody Sunday with Jay-Z. But you sound familiar with it, so perhaps it's simply missing from the lists.
Personally, the only new tracks would be that one, the Mick Jagger duet (which I can hear picture in my head having equal potential for awesomeness and disaster), Stranded, and the Soweto Gospel Choir songs.

Falling at Your Feet is a good one, from the soundtrack to The Million Dollar Hotel. One of my favorites on that album.

When Amazing Grace & Where the Streets Have No Name were given to U2.com subscribers, were they a seamless recording or just two tracks attached to one another? Weird of them to split them apart and put them in the opposite order on this one, though I suppose if you play the CD on loop it's almost the same.

hmtmkmkm

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 01:01:23 AM »
Yeah the Amazing Grace/Streets split makes no sense to me. Unless it's the fashion to do that for when people have the album on repeat, I can't see why it's been done this way. It has the feel of the live show because Amazing Grace segues into Streets at the concerts. At around about where he sings "But now, I'm found", the sound of Streets comes in and it builds as he sings the last line. I think this version on Duals is mostly the same. In the end, this U2.com post could just be a list of the songs, rather than the order of the CD track list itself. I think it was interesting taking something recorded live and then pasting a collaborator's version over the top. Don't think I've heard that before.

Speaking of concerts, I heard the Jay-Z interruption at the Melbourne show in December, and to quote Family Guy, it "was just... just awful". I get that his music is an entirely different genre and style and what-have-you so it shouldn't really suit the song, but it was just the worst fit for a collaboration. I could sense the entire crowd seemed lost in it. Maybe because everyone was trying to understand what he was saying. Why he was selected as support act is beyond me. That's another whole issue. Maybe the Auckland version is an improvement.

I'm leaning more towards disaster with the Mick Jagger collaboration.

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
    • http://www.u2wanderer.org
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 08:55:56 AM »
There's four songs on here that haven't been released on CD before:

Stranded (Hybrid Mix) - we had a live version, and we had version 1.0, but this sounds like a new mix.  Probably just a combination of the two.
Amazing Grace / Streets (With the Soweto Gospel Choir) - this is live from the rosebowl, with the Soweto Gospel Choir mixed in after the fact.
Sunday Bloody Sunday (with Jay-Z)

Out of those, Amazing Grace, Streets, and Sunday Bloody Sunday have all been featured on u2.com as streaming audio.  And Streets / Amazing Grace was downloadable as a Christmas gift, so most people already have those.

That really leaves a potential new mix of Stranded as the only thing we haven't heard before.  That's weak.

The Mick Jagger one isn't new.  It was released  before Christmas on the "Rock n Roll Hall of Fame 25th Anniversary Concert" CD and DVD.  And could potentially be the worst sounding thing I've ever heard U2 release.  LOL.

It would be nice if they go for the rarer mixes of Falling at Your Feet, and The Wanderer.  The version of The Wanderer from the Faraway So Close CD has an extra verse, and that soundtrack is getting harder and harder to find.  Falling at Your Feet was also recorded for Daniel Lanois' album "Shine" and that version also featured Bono, but was a very different mix to what people have heard from the Million Dollar Hotel. 

As to how up to date the By Songs section is?  Well I need to add Duels.  But other than that, it was just updated last week and should be fairly thorough...

MDuchek

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 10:49:54 AM »
Seriously?  This is pretty awful if you ask me.  Many of these are album tracks that every single person who would subscribe to U2.com would already have.  They should have scrapped this and put something else together.  Big disappointment, though I can't say any of these releases have been all that worthwhile since Melon, with the possible exceptions of the Vertigo one and the Rare Tracks one.  It's very disappointing to me that these releases have repeatedly repackaged tracks already released instead of offering something we haven't heard before.  Even the 12/31/89 Lovetown show has never been released officially, except on iTunes and that would be much better than this.  We know they recorded other ZOO TV shows, other PopMart shows, etc...  Even if the sound quality was a bit lacking those would be SO cool to have over something like this.

Luckily their reissues/deluxe versions have been pretty good, but these fan club CDs are a big rip off if you ask me.

morgan1098

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 12:20:44 PM »
This is pretty disappointing.  For one thing, this "exclusive fan club CD" contains SEVEN tracks that are readily available on regular, in-print albums (The Wanderer, Falling at Your Feet, Miss Sarajevo, The Saints are Coming, One, When Love Comes to Town, and Drunk Chicken).  Hopefully at least a couple of these will be rare or previously unheard mixes, but that's not likely.

And yeah, what's up with splitting up Streets and Amazing Grace?  It makes no sense.

And for those who don't already have the other tracks:
Slow Dancing (IGWSHA CD single... $1.00 and up from amazon sellers)
I'm Not Your Baby (Sinead O'Connor Collaborations CD... $3.52 from amazon sellers)
Stuck in a Moment (R&R Hall of Fame Night 2 CD... $13.58 and up from amazon sellers)
Ronnie Drew (this is the only CD track that might be tough to get... the current lowest price on amazon is near $60).

So yeah, maybe three or four tracks that are truly rare/desirable, surrounded by ten or more tracks that are extremely common.  Grrr.

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 12:29:25 PM »
I do wonder how they are going to make Amazing Grace into a separate track. The snippet from the Rose Bowl concert is only about a minute long.

The rest of this release get a big "meh." So many wasted possibilities.

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 12:46:14 PM »
Even the 12/31/89 Lovetown show has never been released officially, except on iTunes and that would be much better than this.  We know they recorded other ZOO TV shows, other PopMart shows, etc...  Even if the sound quality was a bit lacking those would be SO cool to have over something like this.

Good point on the 89 Lovetown show.  They also released the Boston 83 show.  Either would be a better choice than what they are choosing here.  It's a downright slap in the face to be including album tracks in my opinion.  Maybe we'll get an alternate mix, but I am very very doubtful it will happen. 

WLCTT, Miss Sarajevo, The Wanderer, Saints...what a joke.

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 12:47:43 PM »
Ronnie Drew (this is the only CD track that might be tough to get... the current lowest price on amazon is near $60).

Try looking around at some Irish sources.  As it was an Irish only release it was probably much more plentiful there, than it was in North American markets.

If it is going for $60 maybe i should sell mine that i bought for $3.

:)

morgan1098

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 12:58:11 PM »

Try looking around at some Irish sources.  As it was an Irish only release it was probably much more plentiful there, than it was in North American markets.

If it is going for $60 maybe i should sell mine that i bought for $3.

:)

Ha!  Me too.  I think I got mine for around 10.00 from amazon.uk when it was released, but now that it's out of print, people are jacking up the price.

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 02:07:35 PM »
I suggest everyone post their displeasure on u2.com:
http://community.u2.com/topic/21327?page=1

Probably too late to do much, but until they start sending these out, maybe there's an opportunity to get this train wreck rethought?

MDuchek

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2011, 02:15:35 PM »
Hmm link doesn't work.  Did they can whatever was there or is it a bad link?

I suggest everyone post their displeasure on u2.com:
http://community.u2.com/topic/21327?page=1

Probably too late to do much, but until they start sending these out, maybe there's an opportunity to get this train wreck rethought?

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2011, 02:55:19 PM »
you have to be logged in at u2.com to see the link.

MDuchek

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2011, 03:28:49 PM »
I logged in.  Still get an error.  May be because I'm not currently a paying member?

Z000

• And I have no reasons, no reasons to get back
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2011, 04:27:11 PM »
In general, I haven't been too psyched about this release since its announcement. Didn't bother renewing my subscription.