Author Topic: I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight  (Read 83080 times)

Z000

• And I have no reasons, no reasons to get back
Re: I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight
« Reply #60 on: June 25, 2009, 12:24:11 AM »
Anyone else feel like these promos are a little early for an August 17 commercial release?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 12:30:17 AM by Z000 »

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
« Reply #61 on: June 25, 2009, 12:42:58 AM »
Well, yeah, but the Magnificent Promo was first released on March 3 and the single was not released until May 4.

Carl

• Administrator
  • Transcriber
    • u2w
« Reply #62 on: June 25, 2009, 01:51:39 AM »
y'know that all the ebay accounts selling promo accounts are run up by Paul McGuinness so he can make more money before the commercial ones come out.  ;D

God, Part II

« Reply #63 on: June 25, 2009, 11:02:07 AM »
y'know that all the ebay accounts selling promo accounts are run up by Paul McGuinness so he can make more money before the commercial ones come out.  ;D

Smart move 'cuz God knows the album isn't bringing in the cash...

Actually, on that subject, is this a good seller or not?  I know it's the worst selling album U2 has had in the U.S. for over 25 years, but I read an article this week that said, worldwide, NLOTH has sold over 5 million units so far and is, quote, "on it's way to being their best seller to date".  Is this one of those cases (like the Tom Hanks movie ANGELS & DEMONS) where the album is an underperformer in the U.S. but a powerhouse chart topper everywhere else, or is that article just blowing some kiss ass smoke?

morgan1098

« Reply #64 on: June 25, 2009, 11:51:49 AM »
I'd be curious about whether this album is considered a "success" in terms of sales, too.

On a related note, does anyone know if last year's reissues (Boy, October, War, UABRS) were considered successful?  The next round of reissues (UF, Achtung, R&H) was originally scheduled for June 09, and that obviously didn't happen.  I don't know if it's because they were trying not to compete with NLOTH or if they were rethinking the reissue campaign due to lower than expected sales.  While the deluxe version boxed set was a huge seller on amazon initially, I have seen the deluxe versions of War and UABRS on sale at Best Buy recently for 14.99, less than half price, which seems to suggest they weren't exactly flying off the shelves.

So does anyone know if the reissue campaign will even continue?

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
« Reply #65 on: June 25, 2009, 12:27:02 PM »
Album sales are down so significantly overall for the past few years that it's hard to determine whether an album is a "success" based on how many units have sold.

NLOTH is selling fairly well compared to other 2009 releases. AFAIK it's still the #1 selling 2009 release worldwide so far and easily in the top 5 in the US.

As far as the reissues, I think it would make more sense to release those closer to the holiday shopping season, but I haven't heard anything recently. I wonder what level of success they are expecting with the reissues, because that's really sort of a "fans only" release.

R.E.M. and Pearl Jam are still actively reissuing catalog titles, so there must still be some money to be made in it.

Z000

« Reply #66 on: June 25, 2009, 01:43:44 PM »
R.E.M. and Pearl Jam are still actively reissuing catalog titles, so there must still be some money to be made in it.

I think it's also a popular tactic when your new stuff isn't getting much attention. Sort of saying, "Remember us? We did these old albums you liked? We still do stuff!"

Z000

« Reply #67 on: June 30, 2009, 03:54:09 PM »
So, there's a seller from the UK on eBay offering 7" vinyl singles of Crazy Tonight en masse, but no details about whether it's the remixes, the radio edit/single version, or any details at all until the release date. Just getting the pre-release sales advantage, I guess.

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
    • http://www.u2wanderer.org
« Reply #68 on: July 06, 2009, 03:02:41 PM »
Universal just released another pack of remixes to radio for Crazy tonight...

Radio Edit (3:48)
Single Version (4:13)
Dirty South Mix (7:10)
Dirty South Radio Mix (4:26)
Redanka Kick Darkness Vocal (7:29)
Un-Named (7:28)
Redanka Sparks of Light Dub (7:30)

Taking a listen now.  I'll let you know my thoughts in a wee bit...

morgan1098

« Reply #69 on: July 06, 2009, 03:20:30 PM »
Wow!  Is the "single version" significantly different from the album version (i.e. the difference between the album and single versions of "Please"?)?

I'm honestly wondering if another commercial CD single isn't in the works.  :)

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
    • http://www.u2wanderer.org
« Reply #70 on: July 06, 2009, 04:07:54 PM »
The Un-Named mix in the download pack is obviously a Dub remix of the "Redanka Kick Darkness Vocal".  It is different than the Sparks of Light Dub.  The Single Version sounds identical to the Album version to me...I can't really pick up a difference on the early listen.  It might be the same thing.

<<<TOUR SPOILER NEXT>>> I will say - i loved the Dirty South mix done live in concert.  Five minutes of pure bliss for this u2 fan...

slaneman

« Reply #71 on: July 06, 2009, 10:32:28 PM »
Thanks for the info. I like the fact that they did that Crazy version live--great theater as well.

miryclay

« Reply #72 on: July 22, 2009, 11:16:01 AM »
Can anyone point me to the remixes on u2.com? I logged in, checked the Sound & Vision tab and nothing was there.

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
« Reply #73 on: July 22, 2009, 11:46:25 AM »
Gone, unfortunately. Maybe I should update the front page.

Z000

« Reply #74 on: July 28, 2009, 02:23:28 PM »
Track lists? Unsourced. Any confirmation? Also says UK release September 7th.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 02:25:25 PM by Z000 »