Author Topic: Song for Someone - Single?  (Read 14916 times)

U2Joshua

Re: Song for Someone - Single?
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2015, 02:53:08 PM »
After several side-by-side listens through of the album version and the "Radio Mix" in the link above, I think I detect everso subtle distinctions in The Edge's background vocals - really, a volume discrepancy, only.  At 2:18 - 2:19, The Edge's line, "...and there is a light..." is slightly louder and more pronounced on the Radio Mix than on the album version.  This isn't the only (minor) difference, but it's the most convincing.

Definitely agree with this. Edge's line, "and there is a world" is definitely more audible in the radio mix.

Sweet!  I feel legitimized :-)  My analysis was done just laying on the couch, listening through my iPhone with my Bose® QC15s!

Thanks for doing the lab analysis to substantiate the suspicion 8)

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2015, 02:58:01 PM »
After several side-by-side listens through of the album version and the "Radio Mix" in the link above, I think I detect everso subtle distinctions in The Edge's background vocals - really, a volume discrepancy, only.  At 2:18 - 2:19, The Edge's line, "...and there is a light..." is slightly louder and more pronounced on the Radio Mix than on the album version.  This isn't the only (minor) difference, but it's the most convincing.

Definitely agree with this. Edge's line, "and there is a world" is definitely more audible in the radio mix.

Sweet!  I feel legitimized :-)  My analysis was done just laying on the couch, listening through my iPhone with my Bose® QC15s!

I would have acknowledged you in the Twitter post, but I ran out of characters.  ;)

U2Joshua

« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2015, 06:03:18 PM »

Haha...  thanks.  The forum is fame enough!

I would have acknowledged you in the Twitter post, but I ran out of characters.  ;)

dagobah

• exploring nature in Yellowstone/Grand Teton
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2015, 04:05:57 AM »
U2Joshua  and  Brad
thanks for the quick replies . . . . . I really appreciate it.

miryclay

« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2015, 07:58:56 AM »
Anyone have a link for this new mix?

U2Joshua

miryclay

« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2015, 11:51:24 AM »
Thanks Joshua!

morgan1098

« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2015, 09:52:48 PM »
So, this is interesting:  http://themusics.co/promo-only/promo-only-modern-rock-radio-06-june-2015/

The .mp3 of "SFS (Radio Mix)" here, when uploaded to iTunes Match, does not find a "Match" - meaning, theoretically, this is a different track than the album version.  I only listened to it once, through my laptop speakers, and didn't immediately notice any difference.

On the July 13th episode of the Hamish and Andy Show, http://www.hamishandandy.com/listen/2/, Bono suggests that the new (radio?) mix of "SFS" is virtually unchanged, despite The Edge taking great pride in the "new" mix...  There is plenty of laughter to accompany this exchange.

UPDATE:  After several side-by-side listens through of the album version and the "Radio Mix" in the link above, I think I detect everso subtle distinctions in The Edge's background vocals - really, a volume discrepancy, only.  At 2:18 - 2:19, The Edge's line, "...and there is a light..." is slightly louder and more pronounced on the Radio Mix than on the album version.  This isn't the only (minor) difference, but it's the most convincing.

What do you think?

(apologies if linking above violates any rules - Moderator(s), please feel free to remove.)

Edge's vox are louder in places, for sure, but they are also much quieter when Bono sings "I was told that I would feel nothing the first time" around the :42 mark. Edge's harmonies are much more obvious on the album version than the radio mix.

The version on the video is definitely different. But this radio mix is not what is on the video, it's just volume-adjusted in places, as others have said.

slaneman

« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2015, 05:07:28 PM »
Thanks to U2Joshua for that link and to Brad for the audio examination. After the usual picky and rather ridiculous listening I did over and over I agree with Morgan there are 3 different versions of SFS, or 4 if you toss in the live Red Nose version.

The video version sounds like the album version to me except they lengthened that opening synth tone.

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2015, 08:00:41 PM »
Pretty sure the promo CD is genuine. It's the same mix as the Radio Mix MP3, but the fade is slightly longer. Also had a look at the spectograms. The CD looks lossless and the MP3 does not.

U2Joshua

« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2015, 02:04:45 PM »
Pretty sure the promo CD is genuine. It's the same mix as the Radio Mix MP3, but the fade is slightly longer. Also had a look at the spectograms. The CD looks lossless and the MP3 does not.

Where'd you find the cd (lossless)?  I must have it :-p

thanks,

josh

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2015, 02:33:11 PM »
eBay. I was lucky to snag one relatively cheaply because the auction prices have been pretty steep. Will probably come down as more copies hit the collectors' market.

slaneman

« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2015, 11:52:32 AM »
Brad, nice article on the current status of 'single' releases.  ;) 

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2015, 05:46:48 PM »
Thanks. Honestly, it practically write itself. :)