Author Topic: Song for Someone - Single?  (Read 15222 times)

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
Song for Someone - Single?
« on: March 31, 2015, 02:57:48 PM »
I can't say that I'm thrilled about Song for Someone being the next single, whatever constitutes a single release these days. I assume it must be since U2.com is asking fans to upload cover versions, and it has supposedly gone out to radio in the US. Anyway, I can't stand to have anything in iTunes without cover art, so I threw something together for SFS.

I assumed everyone would know that this cover I posted on Twitter was a joke, but it seems some people actually took it seriously. I threw this together in five minutes.

I actually spent a little more time on this one and tried to make it look like the prior two single releases. Maybe even a little too derivative, but oh well. I'm going with this one in iTunes unless U2 puts out some official cover art.

Or I suppose I could just use this from U2.com.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 03:00:20 PM by Brad »

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
Re: Song for Someone - Single?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 08:34:19 AM »
Playing around with the grain feature in Photoshop a little more. I think this second result is closer to what I was shooting for.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 09:12:32 AM by Brad »

morgan1098

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2015, 03:23:17 PM »
The email from U2.com promoting the new Woody Harrelson-starring video says this song is "the third single from the album and released on Monday." I wonder if there will actually be a separate download with artwork from iTunes, amazon,etc? Still hard to figure out what constitutes a "release" these days.

EDIT: Also, the mix of the song is decidedly different. Maybe it's the "single version"?  Or maybe they just tweaked it to fill more of the 8-minute running time of the video. But there are definitely new keyboard sounds and different backing vox, etc.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 03:34:22 PM by morgan1098 »

morgan1098

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2015, 11:28:08 AM »
So yeah, there's no unique digital release as far as I can tell. Nothing on iTunes or amazon.com. There's this UK promo CD, which uses the album cover as artwork.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/U2-Song-for-someone-1-Track-EU-Promo-CD-/291512592560?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item43df8128b0

miryclay

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2015, 12:17:36 PM »
Brad,

Your PS skills are impressive. But if a band release an a major album (AB) with an 'extra member' anything is possible right?

miryclay

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2015, 07:50:10 AM »
I have to wonder if that EU promo is legit. The track length is 3:47, so even if it's real that may just be the album version. I'm hoping that they will make the video mix available for download on U2.com.

Will keep my eyes open for more promos, though.

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
    • http://www.u2wanderer.org
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2015, 02:20:43 PM »
I have to wonder if that EU promo is legit. The track length is 3:47, so even if it's real that may just be the album version. I'm hoping that they will make the video mix available for download on U2.com.

Will keep my eyes open for more promos, though.

I've been told those EU promos are probably not legit by a friend who was able to confirm for me that the UK promo of EBW, and the French promos of Joey Ramone and EBW are quite legit.  That hasn't been confirmed though.

But if you look at them there's lots of reason to doubt them. 

1.  CDR, with many of them misspelling the rights society (STEMRA spelt STERMA) - after this spelling error was pointed out the same promos started showing up again with the corrected spelling.  Record labels don't correct things...
2.  Shoddy punch out paper for the covers - looks like a do it yourself kit.
3.  So far nothing but album versions.
4.  Joey Ramone / Invisible showed up first.  Then EBW showed up with the album cover with the name of the album printed into the cover...when the cover art came out for that single it quickly replaced that promo. 
5.  Nothing but album mixes.  Including EBW, which was different on the UK promo which i'm told was legit.
6. After all of the above came out suddenly out came an Ordinary Love promo?  Almost a year after the song was out?  Doesn't make a lot of sense.
7.  Instead of the typical single slimline jewel case, these are coming in the type you typically get with blank CDRS.
8.  If you look on eBay almost all of these came from the same two sellers in the UK initially.  They only show up from other sellers after a while of being sold by the same two initial sellers (both based in the UK btw)

Perhaps there are legitimate copies out there that someone has been copying to make these others from? 

George

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2015, 10:43:38 PM »
As for the legitimacy of this promo, based on what the seller has sold in the past, I'd guess that it's a fake.  Here's the link to his recent sales: http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?item=291516322710&LH_Complete=1&_ssn=chimmichanga&_pgn=2&_skc=50&rt=nc.

Ridiculously suspiciously, all of the various "promos" being sold look very similar.

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
    • http://www.u2wanderer.org
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2015, 01:09:35 PM »
This is the other seller of these that seems to always have a bunch:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/toxic_rocket/m.html?_nkw&_armrs=1&_ipg&_from&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2046732.m1684

Also interesting to note...the third or fourth EBW one actually had a UPC number on it but not the bar code itself...odd. 

God, Part II

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2015, 03:43:23 PM »
I adore this band like no other but not an album has gone by in decades where I haven't wanted to smack whoever picks U2's singles. Please tell me what kind of world is it where SFS is selected for radio play over "Volcano" (and on the heels over the album's other slow ballad, to boot!)?!

George

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2015, 03:48:23 PM »
I agree that Vocano would have made a much, much better summer single, also especially on the heels of Every Breaking Wave.

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2015, 05:46:38 PM »
If I had to choose a summer single, it would be a radio edit of California without the Santa Barbaras.

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2015, 08:47:15 AM »
A bit of artwork on Twitter from Interscope. Interesting.

yseilys (dead)

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2015, 09:39:28 AM »
I can confirm you all CD promo sold by "chimmichanga" (or his other username "toxic_rocket") are made by the same guy.
ALL FAKES CD-R

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2015, 09:55:31 AM »
Looks like this is the artwork for the single:

I haven't been able to find a high-quality image, but this seems to at least prove that it exists: