Author Topic: U2.Com 2014 Membership Package.  (Read 49235 times)

morgan1098

Re: U2.Com 2014 Membership Package.
« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2015, 10:20:22 AM »
The original announcement from U2.com clearly stated that "you'll also be able to download the entire set." I'm sure we'll get the full concert digitally. It might even be in the form of a code included with the vinyl set.

With the most recent emails, I got the impression that the downloads mentioned there are more like "preview tracks," sort of like they did with U22 and From the Ground Up.

MartinTexas

« Reply #46 on: May 01, 2015, 04:23:43 PM »
Track list announced, downloads coming soon, the set is in production:
In May we'll also start making the tracks available to download.

The email sent to subscriber also stated: "In the meantime next month you'll be able to start downloading some of the tracks."

Those lines from the news article on U2.com make it sound like all the tracks will be available to download, which is encouraging. But the line from the email sent to subscribers makes it sound like only a few tracks will be available. I hope the former is the case. I don't have a record player. And rips of vinyls don't sound as good as digital files. I'd also prefer a lossless version to be uploaded, like they did with the Achtung Baby! downloads, but if it has to be a lossy digital version, so be it.
I also don't have turntable. In this times they should give for subscribers WAV or FLAC files to download.  ::)  If they really did HQ Remastering 96 kHz/24 bit files wopuld be nice gift or at least 48 kHz/ 16 bit - not only mp3s....

Pretty vague language on the website and in the email. I do hope they make the whole thing available digitally.

If history serves, they have made all of their recent "vinyl only" releases available digitally in one form or another. Soon and Wide Awake in Europe were streamed (and pretty easy to download). Ordinary Love came with a download card. The 12" mix of Crystal Ballroom was streamed and included as a CD bonus track in Japan.
Download card could also be fine with 2 versions for downoload lossy & lossless.

dagobah

• exploring nature in Yellowstone/Grand Teton
« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2015, 03:01:50 PM »
Track list announced, downloads coming soon, the set is in production:

http://www.u2.com/news/title/another-time-another-place---tracklisting?utm_source=WhatCounts%20Publicaster%20Edition

Bono's recorded a special contribution to the upcoming vinyl release 'Another Time, Another Place'.

The double 10" album, produced for U2.com subscribers, captures the band playing live at London's Marquee Club in 1980, as they took early songs on the road across Ireland and the UK.

On Side 4 of the the limited edition set, Bono looks back to September 1980, and four consecutive Mondays that the band played the famous Soho venue.

'The first Monday it was half full, the second Monday nearly full, the third Monday they had to turn people away, the fourth Monday, there were queues round the block, across the road and Wardour Street looked like an A-bomb had landed on it – we thought of it as "The Irish Invasion" – it’s incredible what a few hundred people believing in you does for your self confidence...'

Here's the track listing.

The Ocean
11 O'Clock Tick Tock
I Will Follow
An Cat Dubh - Into The Heart
A Day Without Me
The Electric Co.
Things To Make and Do
Stories For Boys
Boy Girl
Out of Control
Another Time, Another Place: U2 At The Marquee Club, September 1980 by Bono

When I clicked on that link, it first took me to U2.com and asked me to sign-in.  It even had my username and password already in the little boxes above the SUBMIT button.  Obviously, U2.com keeps my username/password even though I do not have a current U2.com subscription.  Anyways . . . . . . after clicking on the SUBMIT button, it took me to the screen that explains the three different U2.com subscription options.  On that page, I don’t see any info about Bono’s special contribution on side 4 of the limited edition set.  I then looked for that info in the NEWS section of U2.com, but I couldn’t find it

Is there an alternative link you could provide that shows the information about Bono’s special contribution?  Don’t get wrong . . . . . I accept the information as accurate . . . . . . I’m just confused why the link is not taking me to the correct Internet screen.

OK . . . . . . so let me get this straight . . . . . . . one of the sides of one of the vinyl records has a recording of Bono talking?  That’s interesting.  I wonder how long he talks in the recording.  And I wonder if it will be on the digital download (rather than just the vinyl record).

And speaking of the digital download, we still don’t know what format it will come in, do we?
Possibility #1 -  a piece of paper inserted inside that package that holds the two 10-inch vinyl records; the piece of paper has a code that we can then use at some Internet website (this was the format for the Ordinary Love 10-inch vinyl record)
Possibility #2 - ?

So the 10 live tracks could possibly come from any of these four performances . . . . . . rather than all being from the same performance:
September 8, 1980   The Marquee Club
September 15, 1980   The Marquee Club
September 22, 1980   The Marquee Club
September 29, 1980   The Marquee Club

I finally decided to renew my U2.com subscription.  I will do it today.  I will select the double 10-inch vinyl album (rather than the North Side Story book).

I am renewing my U2.com subscription because I want the 10 live tracks.  That’s the only reason.  I won’t be keeping the vinyl records.  The U2.com content stuff means nothing to me.  I will make use of the 25% off coupon to buy a shirt at the online shop, but I could do without.  The pre-sale concert ticket code is useless to me because someone helped me buy a ticket to the Denver concert on June 6 (if she didn’t help me, I would never have been able to get a ticket; it’s just how things have been when I tried to get a ticket to a U2 concert in the past).  Having written all that, I could never have conceived that I would ever have the unique opportunity to pay $50 for 10 digital downloads.

Oops . . . . . . I made a mistake.  I initially typed "11 tracks" in my post . . . . . but it's actually 10 tracks.  In the list of tracks, I counted Another Time, Another Place as a live track. I now realize Another Time, Another Place is the name of the live album.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 07:02:52 PM by dagobah »

Nikabrik

« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2015, 03:26:23 PM »
Well, to be fair, that's what YOU'RE buying with $50. :)

I'M buying a limited edition 2x10" vinyl album for $50. And I received a code that helped me get GA tickets to a Chicago show. (Keep in mind that the 2xLP editions of Songs of Innocence cost about $30-35 retail, and there's bound to be way fewer copies of this Marquee set.) I'm really surprised at how many people are annoyed with U2.com providing these cool ltd. edition vinyl albums. You'd prefer another mediocre CD package like Duals or the live sets that mirrored the already-available DVDs?

At any rate, it's doesn't have to cost you $50 - you can probably turn around and sell the vinyl on eBay or somewhere similar for $30 bucks no problem!

slaneman

« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2015, 11:26:58 PM »
Is it determined now that because of Bono's comments on the forthcoming vinyl this will be the Sept 29tth gig, the last of the 4 Marquee shows?  Both U2gigs and U2tours seem to think so. I'm very impressed with the sound quality of The Ocean. I wonder if they had to bake those tapes. Someone did a fantastic job whatever they did. 320k sounds pretty strong to me.  With all those early Boy shows showing 'setlist unknown' it's truly mind boggling what the band has in their vaults. I can't wait to hear the rest of the show.

Zbych

« Reply #50 on: June 11, 2015, 03:12:30 AM »
11 O Clock to be next download...  according to U2.com... but no link yet in my profile

None was more thrilling than '11 o Clock Tick Tock', first released in May 1980, and a stand-out track on the subscriber-only live album 'Another Time Another Place.
Ahead of physical release of this double vinyl album next month, this is the second track available to download for qualifying subscribers this week.

The Hermit

• I'm a traveler of both time and space
    • My Collection
« Reply #51 on: August 01, 2015, 03:11:05 AM »
From my copy.

dagobah

« Reply #52 on: August 01, 2015, 04:58:17 PM »
From my copy.

Does your post mean that you received the 2 vinyl records subscription gift?

I'm looking at the image you posted.  For Side 4, it has Another Time, Another Place listed.
Is that a live track from the U2 performance at the The Marquee Club in London in September 1980 . . . . . . . or is Another Time, Another Place just the title of the recording of Bono speaking?

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
« Reply #53 on: August 01, 2015, 05:51:59 PM »
It's just the title of the track with Bono talking.

morgan1098

« Reply #54 on: August 01, 2015, 10:48:27 PM »
I got mine on Friday but I haven't taken the shrink wrap off yet. I just looked at my account on U2.com and the remainder of the tracks aren't there for downloading, so I'm guessing there's a code or coupon inside the vinyl.

dagobah

« Reply #55 on: August 02, 2015, 04:49:42 AM »
Thanks for the answer and the update on the arrival of the 2 vinyl records.

miryclay

« Reply #56 on: August 02, 2015, 11:52:33 AM »
Guys, don't take much of what this band says at face value. They get to things when they get to things and sometimes speak from the heart or intention. Execution is another matter.

They give us a lot so let go of any fine print thinking. Ain't gonna happen.

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
    • http://www.u2wanderer.org
« Reply #57 on: August 02, 2015, 01:21:28 PM »
I got mine on Friday but I haven't taken the shrink wrap off yet. I just looked at my account on U2.com and the remainder of the tracks aren't there for downloading, so I'm guessing there's a code or coupon inside the vinyl.

There's nothing inside the vinyl for a code or a coupon.  They might be planning on putting them up after the fact.

Those who got their vinyl be happy.  I'm told that many people contacting live nation are being told that the vinyl is now on back order because of overwhelming unexpected demand.  And that it will be a few weeks before further orders are filled.  I called myself as I haven't gotten the shipment notice and was told the same thing.  Disappointing if true, since most of the demand should have been known about months ago when tickets went on sale.

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
    • http://www.u2wanderer.org
« Reply #58 on: August 02, 2015, 01:28:48 PM »
Guys, don't take much of what this band says at face value. They get to things when they get to things and sometimes speak from the heart or intention. Execution is another matter.

They give us a lot so let go of any fine print thinking. Ain't gonna happen.

It's not what the band is saying.  The offer on the website clearly states that this gift will include a downloadable copy.  It has stated that since it was first offered, and continues to do so. 

http://www.u2.com/renew#u2com-subscription-details is the details of what you are offered when you pick your subscription gift.

It clearly states: "Produced on vinyl, true to the show's original vintage, you'll also be able to digitally download the entire set. (Physical delivery in July 2015. Some tracks available to download in advance.)"

They've also included a letter with the vinyl which states that the whole thing will be able to be downloaded.

The fan club has been notoriously bad over the years.  So bad that employees of the fan club have suggested that U2 fans should be raising more of a fuss about what they are getting.  I've had enough of bad service from them over the years.  And I for one will complain if I don't get my album in a reasonable amount of time, and I'll complain again if we do not get the full album as a download. 

Live Nation is contracted to do a job for the band.  They do quite the crap job of it (they do for Madonna as well - absolute crap there too).  I don't see this as a reflection on my love for the band, or critiquing the band.  But the fan club needs to fulfill the promises that they are making.  At a price tag of $50 a year I expect them to at least fill orders with the complete product offered.

(And in this case I'm sure the full downloads will be made available soon...it's just not clear how or when...)

morgan1098

« Reply #59 on: August 02, 2015, 08:51:24 PM »

There's nothing inside the vinyl for a code or a coupon.  They might be planning on putting them up after the fact.

Those who got their vinyl be happy.  I'm told that many people contacting live nation are being told that the vinyl is now on back order because of overwhelming unexpected demand.  And that it will be a few weeks before further orders are filled.  I called myself as I haven't gotten the shipment notice and was told the same thing.  Disappointing if true, since most of the demand should have been known about months ago when tickets went on sale.

Wow! No coupon in the vinyl. Yes, I'm sure it's just a matter of time before they put all the tracks on the web site for members to download.

And I agree with everything Aaron said about LiveNation... the fan club issues are their fault, not U2's. However, it would be nice if the U2 organization would throw its weight around a bit and whip the Fan Club/Live Nation into shape.