Author Topic: New U2 song: "Ordinary Love"  (Read 60259 times)

jw

Re: New U2 song: "Ordinary Love"
« Reply #120 on: March 10, 2014, 11:54:27 AM »
So, are you saying the soundtrack version is different from the original single version?   That at this point we have three different versions?

1. Single version
2. Soundtrack version (same as Interscope version on Soundcloud)
3. Paul Epworth Mix

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
    • http://www.u2wanderer.org
« Reply #121 on: March 10, 2014, 12:54:34 PM »
No I'm saying the version on the soundtrack album, and on the 10-inch single, and downloadable through u2.com and in the movie itself is all one song.

Then we have two others.  The Paul Epworth mix. 

And this Interscope released version from Soundcloud.

Sorry for any confusion.  Hopefully that makes it clear. :)

jw

« Reply #122 on: March 10, 2014, 01:10:08 PM »
Thanks.  I appreciate it!

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
« Reply #123 on: March 11, 2014, 08:24:21 PM »
Sorry I have to add more.

I took another listen.  And while the start sounded quite like the version that was released on the soundtrack and the 10-inch, the end did not.  The end matches up to the Interscope posted file.  But the start sounds much faster on the Interscope one, while the version from the soundtrack sounds like the same speed as the Soundtrack.

So perhaps someone else can take a listen.  I'm sending a link to a few of you who have requested it here.  Take a listen and please let the forum know what's going on...

Links going out in a moment.

Aaron

Scarlet

« Reply #124 on: March 11, 2014, 09:40:32 PM »
I would say the version in the actual movie running over the credits is a seperate version, almost a hybrid of the "Single Version" and this new "Alternate Version", it doesn't fade out, and has the extra lyrics.

I have :

4 distinct "Official" Versions

Ordinary Love (Soundtrack Version - Edit / Single Version)
Ordinary Love (Paul Epworth Version) - Alternate Lyrics
Ordinary Love (Soundtrack Version - Full)
Ordinary Love (Alternate Version - Interscope Promo)

2 "Unofficial" Mixes

Ordinary Love (Q-Music Mandela Edit)
Ordinary Love (Devin Wild And Sub Zero Project Bootleg)

2 "Live Performances"

Ordinary Love (Live, New York, February 17, 2014)
Ordinary Love (Live, Los Angeles, March 2, 2014)

« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 09:42:26 PM by Scarlet »

slaneman

« Reply #125 on: March 12, 2014, 10:51:37 AM »
Yep, Scarlet's correct and much quicker with the answer. (tho prob still needs work w/ golf swing) ;D

The IGA is closest to the movie credits version as far as the lyrics go, except for the ending verse.  :)

movie:

Are we tough enough
For ordinary love?
Are we tough enough
For ordinary love?
Are we tough enough
For ordinary love?

IGA

Are we tough enough
For ordinary love?
Are we tough enough
Tough enough for love?
Are we tough enough
For ordinary love?

Seems like the same vocal stems were used in the rest of the song.

morgan1098

« Reply #126 on: March 12, 2014, 10:54:52 AM »
I have listened to the soundtrack version Aaron posted and I concur that there are four distinct official versions:

1. 10"/dowload version, also available on the soundtrack CD and through U2.com
2. Movie version... very similar to the above, but with a different ending
3. Paul Epworth remix
4. Interscope promo version (which has an ending similar to #2, but is definitely a different mix)

There are many differences between 2 and 4, but the most obvious is when the drums kick in. In #2 (and #1, for that matter), after Bono first sings "...if we can't deal with Ordinary Love," there are eight bars of piano before the drums kick in.  In #4, the drums kick in immediately.

Of all of them, I still think I like #4 the best. The bass sounds better and more natural. I'm not a huge fan of what Epworth did with the programmed drums on his version.

jw

« Reply #127 on: March 12, 2014, 11:54:26 AM »
I've listed to the soundtrack version from Aaron.  I agree there are four versions represented here as described above.

Thanks Aaron for digging into this. 

Crazy that there would such subtle differences between the versions.  Why do they bother?  Reminds me of the various versions of Walk On which were not wildly different.  That was annoying because there were elements of each that I liked, but none of the mixes had all of the elements I liked.

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
« Reply #128 on: March 12, 2014, 01:03:29 PM »
Thanks Aaron for digging into this. 

Thank everyone here in the forum as well.  :-)  I appreciate all the extra ears that went into confirming things.  If anyone else wants to take a listen to what they are talking about just drop me a message on here and I'll help you out.  :)  Otherwise, the DVD and Blu-Ray are due next week.  :)

harry

« Reply #129 on: March 12, 2014, 01:29:57 PM »
Arriving late at the party, but the soundtrack version of the song is different than the single version and Epworth mix, and subtly different than the promo version.

I think the reason for that is that the ost version is the earliest mix of the song, as it was being worked on in  parallel with filming.

I still like what Epworth has done better, production-wise.

Oh and, hello wanderers! :)

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
« Reply #130 on: March 12, 2014, 01:35:21 PM »
Arriving late at the party, but the soundtrack version of the song is different than the single version and Epworth mix, and subtly different than the promo version.

I think the reason for that is that the ost version is the earliest mix of the song, as it was being worked on in  parallel with filming.

And by soundtrack version of the song you mean the "movie version" of the song as seen in the film, and not the version on the soundtrack itself which was the same as the single version, correct? CONFUSING!!

harry

« Reply #131 on: March 12, 2014, 01:46:06 PM »

And by soundtrack version of the song you mean the "movie version" of the song as seen in the film, and not the version on the soundtrack itself which was the same as the single version, correct? CONFUSING!!

Correct. And to add to all that, I only heard the movie version at the film pre-screening, so perhaps there was a different version at the actual premiere :P :P

cleaner

« Reply #132 on: March 13, 2014, 05:23:54 AM »
Don't forget the Sa Mejesté Remix which is available on itunes as a podcast download

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
« Reply #133 on: March 13, 2014, 12:06:38 PM »
One other unofficial remix: X-VERTIGO & Renco Healing Remix

https://www.facebook.com/xvertigomusic/app_220150904689418
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 01:16:23 PM by Brad »

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
« Reply #134 on: March 13, 2014, 06:57:03 PM »
Don't forget the Sa Mejesté Remix which is available on itunes as a podcast download

Thanks for this. Just posted it on our Twitter page.

Here is a direct link to the podcast.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/u2-ordinary-love-sa-majeste/id612246843?i=241722711&mt=2