Author Topic: Top 8 ENO  (Read 2296 times)

miryclay

Top 8 ENO
« on: February 18, 2017, 03:37:44 PM »
Thanks to U2songs for writing the article on Eno. Here are some of my favourite albums from him. 

Ambient 1 (Music For Airports) An all around work that allows you to think and do continual activities to. Demonstrates the power of thinking before recording and probably a reactionary move by those who weren't doing so at the time.

Brian Eno With Daniel Lanois & Roger Eno - Apollo - Atmospheres & Soundtracks. The stand out track is of course Deep Blue Day which betrays some country influences. Used in Trainspotting and applicable to so many scenes. If I ever get married I will walk down the aisle to this song.

Brian Eno - David Byrne - My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts I own the re-pressing of this without the omitted controversial track. A really great example of what happens when all barriers are taken down and minds are opened up. Apparently highly influential on Moby amongst other artists that developed and furthered sampling.

Harold Budd / Brian Eno With Daniel Lanois - The Pearl. Features 'Against The Sky' from NLOTH. Seems to be formulaic Eno in the early 80's.
Here is a pic from outside the Ontario studio:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/content.sitezoogle.com/u/31316/1f2a8b4ac88a472d6666a4eb790e69fe79feee1d/photo/3006393.jpg?1428695227

Music For Films III The standout track on this "John Paul Jones - 4-Minute Warning" which seems he travelling to North Africa for inspiration.

Thursday Afternoon: An absolute gem, at one time one of the longest pieces of continual music. A friend of mine used to paint to this.

Ambient 4 (On Land): I especially like "Dunwich Beach, Autumn, 1960" and "Lizard Point".

With Moebius, Roedelius as Cluster. I didn't get into these albums recorded at Conny Plank's studio but it was an interesting marriage of the minds. I like anything related to Michael Rother and any of the Krautrock standouts. 

miryclay

morgan1098

Re: Top 8 ENO
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 11:42:42 AM »
Hey, thanks for responding to the article miryclay! Those are all great choices. The "Music for Films" albums always looked suspect to me because they're collections of short snippets with no real unity or flow. But when you actually listen to one of those albums from start to finish, it all works very well together and there IS a flow to them.

Ambient 4 is my favorite of the ambient series. It's very engrossing!

dagobah

• exploring nature in Yellowstone/Grand Teton
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 05:28:42 AM »
I read the article only because of miryclay's post.  The article is interesting and so are both your posts above.  I will return to them and use them as a resource.

I already had the Apollo 11 music CD and one other Brian Eno CD.  In 2012, I went through most of the albums that Brian Eno was featured on, whether solo or with other musicians.  I used YouTube to figure out which tracks I wanted to buy and then bought them from the iTunes Store (or some other website if iTunes didn't have it).  I wasn't able to find some of them tracks on YouTube.  And I seem to remember I also couldn't buy some tracks online (digitally).  I have detailed notes and eventually . . . . . . I will continue working on this project.  Right now, though, I'm too busy with other stuff.

For me, I don't mind if there is a flow to the tracks on the album or not.  If I like the track, I buy it.  Then, I will throw those Brian Eno tracks into an iTunes playlist with some Michael Brook, George Winston, etc. . . . . download them to my iPOD Shuffle and go hiking.

miryclay

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 06:37:23 AM »
Hey, thanks for responding to the article miryclay! Those are all great choices. The "Music for Films" albums always looked suspect to me because they're collections of short snippets with no real unity or flow. But when you actually listen to one of those albums from start to finish, it all works very well together and there IS a flow to them.

Ambient 4 is my favorite of the ambient series. It's very engrossing!

Like this...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consomm%C3%A9

Some of the Ambient 4 (Lizard Point) remind me of Eraser by Nine Inch Nails.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 06:41:23 AM by miryclay »

U2Joshua

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 12:30:15 PM »
I gotta throw in the under-the-radar record, Making Space, 2010:

Here's a sample track, titled "Hopeful Timean Intersect" that appears to have been used in a video game soundtrack not under the same title: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UduKBbcXL8I.  It's a shame it's so hard to find and under-released.  A great addition to his instrumental/ambient catalog.

Additionally, I love the original material he contributed to the The Lovely Bones Soundtrack. 

Here's one of the tracks: https://youtu.be/qFyWZPKk01c.  I have a playlist where I took the Eno-only tracks out of the otherwise hodgepodge mix that the soundtrack cd is, in it's full form, and it's right up there with some of my best listening.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 03:22:49 PM by U2Joshua »