Author Topic: Boycott of U2.com Petition  (Read 5190 times)

miami66

• I have a vision... TELEVISION!!!
Boycott of U2.com Petition
« on: February 24, 2011, 09:35:47 PM »
Hello all,

Ever since the 'Duals' debacle over at atu2.com we created a petition to get U2.com to change for the better.

Please sign this petition:
http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/u2fanclubpetition

Thanks,
Miami66

dagobah

• exploring nature in Yellowstone/Grand Teton
Re: Boycott of U2.com Petition
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 05:32:19 AM »
Rather than clicking on am unknown link, I figured I would ask:
What "Duals" debacle?

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
    • http://www.u2wanderer.org
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 07:57:39 AM »
The text of the petition is below:

The Fanclub is a Cannibal - u2.com, fans need more
Published 2 days ago
An open letter to U2 and their management;

To whom it may concern,

We are petitioning you today because recently, many of us have become dissatisfied with the way that U2.com is run. When U2 partnered with Live Nation in 2008, Bono said "With regards to U2.com, we feel we've got a great website, but we want to make it a lot better. We want a closer, more direct relationship between the band and its audience and Live Nation has pledged to help us with that." However, since then many fans have felt ostracized from the band. Not only has the cost of subscription increased, but also many paid members now feel as if they are not getting value for the money that they are spending.

Here are some of our problems with the current website.

1. Customer Service – Purchasing almost anything from U2.com has become a nightmare. Orders are frequently delayed, sometimes for months, or simply canceled. When people try to find what happened with their orders responses are both generic and uninformative. Often emails sent to subscribers about the status of their accounts are completely incorrect.

2. Presales – For years many years U2 fans have paid for U2.com membership to get the first crack at U2 tickets. However that is no longer the case. Presale entry is now also available from a variety of sources including from certain credit cards, sports teams and other

3. “Exclusive” CD’s – Aside from the pre-sales one of the best parts of fan club membership were the exclusive CD’s. Melon, Hasta La Vista Baby, U2.Communication, Zoo TV Live and U2 Go Home. However recently the quality of these releases has taken a nosedive. All of the songs on Medium Rare and Remastered were previously released with The Complete U2, Remastered Albums and various single releases. All were also available on iTunes. Only three tracks on Artificial Horizon were not previously released and “Fast Cars” was featured on a previous free gift.

The upcoming release of U2: Duals has crossed the line. Four of the songs were released on widely available studio albums sometimes multiple times and nine of the tracks are directly available on iTunes. This has pushed us to the breaking point. To put songs from studio albums on a fan club release is quite frankly ridiculous and almost insulting.

4. Value – Aside from Willie’s Diary, widely beloved by U2 fans, there just isn’t anything available to justify spending $50. REM subscription is $12 and members receive actual unreleased tracks. Pearl Jam’s fan club, described by many U2 fans as one of the best that there is, gives streaming radio access, a magazine in PDF and hardcopy formats, free tracks for both download and vinyl, limited edition t-shirts, and a coupon that allows a user to download a free ‘bootleg’ Pearl Jam concert of their choice, in addition to all of the other perks that U2.com offers (full website access, some exclusive video and interviews, and pre-sale codes), for $40.

5. Incorrect Information – Often information posted on U2.com is dead wrong. The site has frequently post wrong set-lists, wrong tour dates, $100 lithographs of the wrong concert and many other ridiculous mistakes.

Whenever news is about to drop U2.com seems to be at best several hours and at worst several weeks behind fan sites such as U2gigs and @U2. In fact now many consider the fan-sites to be more accurate than U2.com.

6. The Press – Instead of utilizing U2.com to speak to fans the band ends up sending information via statements in the press. Many of us are baffled by the conflicting information that emerges. For example, depending on what article you read the new album is either definitely coming out in a few months or may be coming out in a few months. It is either a club album, the meditative Songs of Ascent or something with Danger Mouse.

So if we are going to spend $50 there really has to be more than Willie’s Diaries as exclusive content. What should be changed?

1. Better customer service on U2.com.
2. Less blatant errors. No one is perfect, but the amount of screw-ups that happen should be unacceptable for the biggest band in the world.
3. More exclusive content. Propaganda was beloved by the fan-base as a direct connection between the band and the fans. While a print version may no longer be cost effective a pdf or even some original stories on U2.com is a must.
4. Actual “exclusive” CD’s. We know that U2 records almost everything they do, be it concerts, jams in Bono’s basement or sound-checks. It’s time to bring some of that to the light.
5. Full-length videos as opposed to short cell-phone camera recordings.
6. More information directly from U2 as opposed to through the press. Even something like the Oracle, on Coldplay.com would be fantastic.

We know how much Bono, The Edge, Adam, and Larry care about their fans. Larry taking the time to personally sort out the ticket debacle at the beginning of the Vertigo Tour is proof of that. We also understand that this is a crazy time for U2 with Bono’s injury, a tour, a new album and Spiderman. But the fact is that we just can’t justify continuing to spend $50 for a product that is embarrassingly sub par.

Bono once thanked us all for supporting the band through the early years, and for “giving us £500 each day”. We will all be more than happy to continue doing so; we’d just like to get some value from that money, so that we can say that we continue to have a special and intimate relationship with U2.

Sincerely,

The Fans

This petition is open to all U2 fans who have either joined or considered joining U2.com.

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
    • http://www.u2wanderer.org
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 09:07:50 AM »
My personal run ins with the fan club involve trouble changing my address.  I moved in 2009, and the system there still lists my old address.  I have changed it with the website, and that shows the current address, but every time I call about some problem, up pops my old address even though I've asked for it to be changed so many times.  It's beyond frustrating.  And probably the source of my problems getting items from the fan club.

I've had to call multiple times regarding Artificial Horizon, the fan club cds, etc. 

Second issue I had was with customer service.  I actually had one girl suggest I was calling to try to rip them off and get a free copy of Artificial Horizon.  Yes, she told me that on the phone.  Upon speaking to a supervisor he told me the original hadn't even shipped to me.  So how could I be ripping off the system?  That made me wild.

Finally the latest offerings out of the fan club have been pretty stale.  It's an annoyance that you can't use the 25% off coupon for things you might want to order for real.  And having a horizon code no longer means anything as the presale for Moncton let everyone, including people buying new subscriptions in at the same time...

miami66

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 11:43:16 AM »
Rather than clicking on am unknown link, I figured I would ask:
What "Duals" debacle?

um releasing a "FAN CLUB EXCLUSIVE" which was definitely not the case as almost **Every** track was available on iTunes or on **Studio** Albums.

dagobah

• exploring nature in Yellowstone/Grand Teton
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 05:03:48 PM »
OK, I read all the posts above.  Thanks for taking the time to explain things.  I guess I feel lucky.  When U2.com increased the subscription price to $50 and also offered "Medium, Rare & Remastered" (both took place in March 2009), I didn't renew.  Thinking back to January 2006, they delayed the shipment of my U2.Communication CD.  When I called to find out about it, they accidentally sent me 2 of them.  I gave the extra to a friend.  I had no idea how bad things were for the rest of the subscribers.  I'm surprised U2 management would allow things to deteriorate like this.  I'll sign the petition if I'm eligible to.

miami66

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 08:50:59 PM »
OK, I read all the posts above.  Thanks for taking the time to explain things.  I guess I feel lucky.  When U2.com increased the subscription price to $50 and also offered "Medium, Rare & Remastered" (both took place in March 2009), I didn't renew.  Thinking back to January 2006, they delayed the shipment of my U2.Communication CD.  When I called to find out about it, they accidentally sent me 2 of them.  I gave the extra to a friend.  I had no idea how bad things were for the rest of the subscribers.  I'm surprised U2 management would allow things to deteriorate like this.  I'll sign the petition if I'm eligible to.

Yes you are definitely eligible please sign :) :)

santiago2u

• starchitect...then, father!
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011, 02:54:47 PM »
::: I'll sign the petition, based on my own problem with the U2.com/fanfire merchandise stuff.

Also I got mad to see here in Mexico how many people registered in prior days to presale dates, and got tickets to start to sell them at the very next day all over popular internet sites in Mexico.

I'm a Horizon Member, since 2005. And also was a free member in the Zootopia-pre-paid era circa 2000. And people who never knew about U2.com, got a lot of profit of those pre-sales. It didn't matter how long you've been registered or been a fan, or whatever...some guys who I haven't seen in years, phoned me to ask me for instructions to sign up there to get tickets...and they did get'em minutes after presale was starting.  :-\

How can  I forgot that e-mail from Fafire to say that my credit card wasn't charged for the 'Artificial Horizon'3Lp vinyl, because they couldn't dispatch too many orders; a few weeks later , I read at the 'Collectors CLub Forum' more than a dozen of newbie members there saying 'I got my record! thanks u2.com' ...I hated that. It was the very reason I didn't make the renewal...people saying: 'along my 'Zooropa Green Vinyl and my October clear vinyl, my Artificial 3Lp Purple vinyl are my favourite U2 records!!' WTF??  ???

Some other members feeling owners of the threads, forums and topics...some attacking to other members, some are 'smart-asses members...a few of them can really be tagged as 'friends'. I know a few of them, and I consider myself lucky,to have know those guys (and girls).

All of this was, obviously prior to the Live-Nation era.  8)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 02:58:13 PM by santiago2u »

Z000

• And I have no reasons, no reasons to get back
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2011, 08:21:03 PM »
Signed.

morgan1098

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 09:42:42 AM »
I've never joined the fan club despite being a fan since 87.  But I signed the petition anyway, because if they actually fixed some of those problems, I might consider joining.