Author Topic: U2.com Magnificent info  (Read 41449 times)

slaneman

U2.com Magnificent info
« on: May 02, 2009, 12:04:20 PM »
U2.com email--

"Just a reminder that 'Magnificent', the second single taken from 'No Line On The Horizon', will be released in the UK on the 4th May.

The new single will be released on 7" single and will also be available digitally. The 7" will be a limited edition, featuring on the a-side 'Magnificent' (Edit), and on the b-side, 'Breathe', taken from a recent live show recorded at the Somerville Theatre in Boston, USA. Click here to order your copy of the 'Magnificent' 7" from HMV.com.

U2 'Magnificent' Remixes are number one in the UK Music Week Club Charts!

There are some fantastic remixes of 'Magnificent' from Pete Tong (Tong & Rodgers Wonderland Remix), Redanka 360, Fred Falke, and Adam K & Soha. Also available on the same day digitally is the Justice Remix of 'Get On Your Boots'.

These will be available from Sunday 3rd May on iTunes and all good digital download stores.

Watch out next week for the premiere of the video for 'Magnificent', so keep an eye on U2.com for news on this! The video has been directed by Alex Courtes (director of 'Get On Your Boots', 'Vertigo' and 'City of Blinding Lights' videos), and was shot in Fez, Morocco."

I guess CDs really are dead...
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 12:06:12 PM by slaneman »

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
Re: U2.com Magnificent info
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 12:27:31 PM »
There are already three different "digital" EPs on the iTunes store in Ireland

Magnificent (With 2 Remixes)
1. Magnificent (UK Edit) 4:21   
2. Magnificent (Fred Falke Full Club Mix) 7:20
3. Get On Your Boots (Justice Remix) 3:26
http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?id=314670760&s=143449

Magnificent (With 3 Remixes)
1. Magnificent (UK Edit) 4:21
2. Magnificent (Wonderland Remix) 9:54
3. Magnificent (Redanka's 360 Version) 7:23
4. Magnificent (Adam K and Soha Club Mix) 6:14
http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?id=314605486&s=143449

Magnificent (With Live Tracks & Remix)
1. Magnificent (Edit) 4:20
2. Breathe (Live from Somerville Theatre, Boston) 4:45
3. Vertigo (Live from Somerville Theatre, Boston) 3:47
4. Get On Your Boots (Justice Remix) 3:26
http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?id=314621016&s=143449

I have heard from someone in Dublin that the 3-track CD single was released on Friday there, but no sign of the 2-track CD.  I haven't heard anything about a CD release of the remixes; hoping that a promo will surface.

I would be surprised if any of these EPs make it to the iTunes store in the US.  The music industry here is (stupidly) still all about album sales, which is one of many reasons they are dying a slow and painful death.

I wouldn't be surprised if there are no physical singles at all with the next album.  I'd be OK with that if I could download them in some lossless format.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 12:29:34 PM by Brad »

Trevor

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009, 12:38:16 PM »
there are 2 cd single version here in europe:

Magnificent 1 on cardsleeve
1. Magnificent (4:21)
2. Breathe (Live from Somerville Theatre, Boston) (4:45)

Magnificent 2 on slimline jewelcase
1. Magnificent (4:21)
2. Vertigo (Live from Somerville Theatre, Boston) (3:48)
3. Get On Your Boots (Justice Remix) (3:26)

hope they release the remixes on cd too, even if I am not a great fan of (this kind) remixes...

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2009, 12:46:00 PM »
Trevor, any difference between the single version and the US radio edit?  I had assumed they were the same since the length is identical.

I've ordered the two CD singles from a seller in the US.  His supplier had the release date as May 19, but hopefully if they are out already I'll get them a bit sooner.

Trevor

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2009, 12:52:50 PM »
my cds have been sent yesterday so I will receive them on monday... but I think they are the same version... the vinyl is labelled as uk edit but maybe there is no difference too...

slaneman

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2009, 02:47:15 PM »
Thank you, gentlemen, for the latest updates.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 03:03:40 PM by slaneman »

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
    • http://www.u2wanderer.org
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2009, 08:29:14 PM »
My two Euro CDs are on their way as of Friday, and my vinyl has shipped from the UK as well.  No sign of a UK CD this time out?!  I could find the European ones but no sign of a UK release on amazon...strange...Bloc Party - another band I'm a fan of has also stopped releasing CD singles in the UK and is now doing the 7" vinyl / digital release thing...

No sign of the single in the Canada iTunes store, or in shops, but I wouldn't expect to see it in either until Tuesday at the earliest, and more likely one week from Tuesday, as the case has been more recently.  Nothing on amazon.ca that i've seen so far.

Best start trying to make sense of all of this for the By Songs list...

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2009, 12:12:52 AM »
Aaron,

iTunes cover art for the digital EPs

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2009, 09:41:03 AM »
Thanks for the cover art Brad.  :-)  I'm gonna work on this today!! 

God, Part II

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2009, 10:11:28 AM »
This digital-only bullshit is...well, bullshit.  I don't feel I have something official if there's no packaging to go with it.  It's like we're marking the end of collecting.  And then these remixes are in Ireland only???  I can't even download them because I'm in the U.S.???  This is fast becoming a pretty infuriating time to be a U2 fan...  >:(

Carl

• Administrator
  • Transcriber
    • u2w
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2009, 01:30:53 PM »
To each their own, I buy CDs sometimes just to support the artist, but I prefer to just have things digitally... less clutter, less packaging, more portable. :)

Kinda funny how I ended up working with a diehard collector type hehe.

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2009, 02:38:09 PM »
More and more bands are going the digital only route.  U2's dabbled in it from time to time - just see the "digital" page in the discography.  I think you'll see more and more evidence of this in certain markets.  I mean the USA hasn't seen a CD single since 1997 from the band.  It appears that they've stopped putting out singles in Japan with this latest release.  And this latest step to pull the UK CD single in favor for just doing a 7" seems another step forward in the coffin of the CD single.

It's sad to see it disappearing, but more and more acts are going that way and singles get harder and harder to find with each shop I go into over here in Canada...its sad but as i have less and less time for the collecting anyway I'm not crying too hard at it's passing...

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2009, 07:01:39 PM »
It looks like a 7" plus a digital download is the new reality.  Coldplay did the same thing recently with Life In Technicolor II.  Seems like a compromise between giving the collectors something to collect and facing the fact that most people prefer to download their music these days.

Unfortunately, it's easier to import a CD than it is to buy a track from a foreign download store, and most of these tracks never seem to end up in the US market.  I'm hoping that they at least keep making promo CDs for awhile, though that's an expensive option.

God, Part II

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2009, 08:37:59 PM »
But surely there are still more CD collectors than vinyl ones, yes?  I can't abide vinyl, personally, and downloads outright suck, not only for the reasons I've already stated but because their audio fidelity is never as high in quality as a CD track.  And, again, this crap of certain areas of the world not even having access to the damnable downloads...argh!

Bet you a paycheck these digital download exclusives are compiled on a CD for next year's incentive to sign up/renew at U2.com, though...I have to hope that at least I may have that to look forward to...

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2009, 09:49:31 PM »
I'm pretty much CD only myself; I have some older stuff on vinyl but I'm not much of a collector.  I'd like to see CD singles continue, but it seems that the market is drying up.  Vinyl is more of a nostalgia item with a vocal minority.