Author Topic: Hearing Impaired and the Importance of this Site  (Read 8947 times)

Roland of Gilead

Hearing Impaired and the Importance of this Site
« on: September 23, 2004, 09:41:38 PM »
I don't want to come off all preachy or like some kind of drunk, so forgive me if that is how it sounds.

I think you guys run a fantastic place! It means a lot to someone like me because I am deaf (genetics can suck). I hear at 90% with my hearing aids, so it is not the end of the world. ;) Anyhow, I can never truly rely on my ears like others can. And I'll never post what I think I heard because what sounds like "I can feel!" to you might sound like "I eat eels!" to me. ;) I am happy to have found this place where I can print off lyrics to my favorite live versions, remixes, b-sides, etc... . Keep up the great work. You do A LOT for someone like me.

C.

Carl

• Administrator
  • Transcriber
    • u2w
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2004, 10:01:32 PM »
Wow.  Thanks for sharing that... it didn't come across as preachy or drunken at all.  It means a lot to know that our work can really help you out like that and make an impact on you.

At times transcribing is really enjoyable, when I find some hidden backing vocals or alternate lyrics, but sometimes it is like "ok this is the sixth remix of Elevation/Discotheque/EBTTRT...  what's the point?"  I've grappled at times with including all the backing vocals I do, wondering if all the slashes and italics and bolds will turn people off, but I felt that I had to do my best to portray everything in the song, even if that meant sacrificing some aesthetics.

Thanks for the inspiration to keep on going.

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
    • http://www.u2wanderer.org
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2004, 10:03:16 PM »
Thanks for the comments.  People often question why I'm willing to pour so much effort into this site.  Sometimes I wonder myself.  But your post certainly helps me to remember...so thanks for that.

beLIEve

• Man in Black
    • http://www.u2wanderer.org
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2004, 10:05:52 PM »
I've said it before and I'll say it again.  Those who run this site do a great service to millions of U2 fans (and probably to U2 themselves every once in awhile).  I myself am thrilled to have made a (tiny) contribution to the discography.  This post was very cool to read.

Tom

Carl

• Administrator
  • Transcriber
    • u2w
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2004, 02:34:22 PM »
That would be a kick if U2 came here to check up on things.  Given the lack of detail in the official archives up at u2.com it's possible.

whssy

• www.bouch.dk
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2004, 08:14:45 AM »
I think it is probably more than reasonable to assume that at least the person who compiled the complete works did.

Carl

• Administrator
  • Transcriber
    • u2w
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2004, 06:15:50 PM »
If they did they certainly didn't do that good a job at looking around. :)