Author Topic: Photos from Hong Kong  (Read 13506 times)

Carl

• Administrator
  • Transcriber
    • u2w
Photos from Hong Kong
« on: July 04, 2005, 03:28:32 AM »
Been spending a decent chunk of time this afternoon and last evening getting to know my way around Flickr... have known abotu for a long time but never had much of a use for it.  I recently came about a second-hand digital camera but never really used it all that much.  I think have another account under a dead e-mail but whatever.

Hong Kong Photoset

U2 Related Content: 1 2

slaneman

(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2005, 08:48:04 PM »
Great pics, Carl. Thanks for sharing these. What a sweet view out your dorm window.

Was the U2 sign for Edun clothing?

Will you ever come back? heh

Carl

• Administrator
  • Transcriber
    • u2w
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2005, 01:50:09 AM »
No the U2 sign was for a store called U2. I've seen it in a couple malls here so apparently it's a normalish chain store... they even ripped the font though!  It'd be fun to find out when they were created.

I'll be back eventually, heh.  Not really sure when, but it'll be sometime between september to mid-december.  I have a flexible return ticket and a job where I work from my laptop - no kids, no mortage, out of college so I'll enjoy it while I can. :)

update - if you have a recentish computer, check out Google Earth... it's a REALLY cool program.  I saved the co-ordinates of where I'm staying now here.

[Edited on 2005-7-10 by Carl]

Butter7

• http://velvetdress.yculblog.com/
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2005, 11:07:19 PM »
talk about the cloth with the name U2 on it...the quality is a bit.. ><

slaneman

(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2005, 09:35:52 PM »
Liked the second batch, especially the big Buddha Carl. :)

Showed these to my Hong Kong born co-worker and he's psyched to go back and visit.

What a beautiful area!

Carl

• Administrator
  • Transcriber
    • u2w
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2005, 06:45:29 AM »
@butter - dunno about the quality of the clothing, didn't really spend all that much time in the store. Apparently it's an offshoot of the Gap or something - (insert joke about U2 being over-commercial here).  I just found it amusing that they used a familiar font for the name as well.

@slaneman - if you check around my account there are some more photosets, including Macau and the local music scene as well as some random stuff in the past (mainly before i had my own digital camera so...).

Carl

• Administrator
  • Transcriber
    • u2w
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2005, 09:06:30 PM »
Went to Guangdong (a part of "real" China) for 3 days as a field trip for the program.  Five of stayed an extra night and hit a local club/bar in Shenzhen "true colors" - I actually preferred it over most of the places in HK.  They had a local band playing covers of Chinese rock songs (and perhaps some originals). Anyways after their first set they took to playing a DVD on the large projection screen above the lil stage inside.

Imagine my surprise when I get a screening of the Boston DVD from Elevation to nearly the end of Gone!

slaneman

(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2005, 10:10:31 PM »
Did anyone recognize you from the Elevation vid?  Should have been good for a free beer, at least. :)

onlytranslating

(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2005, 06:19:22 PM »
cool pics

Carl

• Administrator
  • Transcriber
    • u2w
Photos from Hong Kong
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2005, 08:12:11 AM »
@ slaneman - hah I didn't think of that at the time.  That makes it even more surreal - a west coast guy watching a video of an Irish band and seeing himself in it while he was on the east coast.... while in a local bar in China! Crazy.

@ ot - Thanks.  I really do need to upload/comment more - as well as carry my camera around with me more.  Rechargable batteries don't seem to be working well though I have a local charger and even local batteries.  Perplexing.

Butter7

(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2005, 01:49:50 PM »
Originally posted by Carl
@ slaneman - hah I didn't think of that at the time.  That makes it even more surreal - a west coast guy watching a video of an Irish band and seeing himself in it while he was on the east coast.... while in a local bar in China! Crazy.

If I was you I would stand up and check if the DVD was a pirate one or a smuggled one or...a real imported one...

Did you buy any CD in Guangzhou? They are super cheap if you went to the right place.

Edit to ask....have anyone offered you some food like rats, snakes, flies yet? ^0^

[Edited on 2005-9-1 by Butter7]

Carl

• Administrator
  • Transcriber
    • u2w
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2005, 10:01:57 PM »
Not rats (at least not that I know, perhaps some of those cheap wonton soup with noodles...).  I actually had snake back in the states, it wasn't bad.  I'm pretty open to trying new stuff but stop at body parts and certain small animals - nothing judgemental but it just doesn't appeal to me.  I was with a friend in Taipei two summers ago and watched someone eating monkey brain soup ok (just don't try and force me to eat it).

Not sure I want to cause a scene like that at a local club.  I'd imagine it was bootleged but since it was a pretty nice venue they might have bought the original.  A lot of the cheap DVDs have issues - a friend got Howl's Moving Castle with the subtitles from some random action movie, etc.

Yeah I bought a few CDs, roughly 50 cents US.  Wasn't there too long and didn't really focus on that though.

slaneman

(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2005, 07:01:44 PM »
Yeh, more pix Carl!

Most of us, except Butter7 of course, will never pass that way.

Carl

• Administrator
  • Transcriber
    • u2w
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2005, 10:53:38 PM »
Stupid digital camera isn't accepting batteries correctly.... haven't been able to take much pics recently and there are some more still kind of stuck on the memory card.  I'd buy a new one but am going pay for rent/travel soon - and the model I want is actually more here.  Bah.

Whatever happened to HK being the coolio electronics hub?

Butter7

(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2005, 10:20:18 AM »
I want more pix as well. Always been curious to death to know what people had in their camera. ^0^

@Slaneman

I didn't really pass that way because I heard people in Guangzhou now offer their guest to eat baby rats alive...that's really scary to me.

@Carl

The CD you bought are illegal pirate copy, according to the price you provided...I hope the quality is okay... :P

Only one day in Guangzhou is far too short...but I'm really confused why you took so many photos on these stupid blue boards....@_@