Author Topic: Because I'm feeling somewhat controversial.  (Read 8293 times)

Carl

• Administrator
  • Transcriber
    • u2w
Because I'm feeling somewhat controversial.
« on: January 26, 2005, 01:38:45 AM »
What is everyone's take (in the context of the whole ticket pre-sale fiasco) of interference.com's decisions to put up large banner ads for scalpers on their website?

Anyone else find this latest cash grab by Tanner rather cheeky??

u2rob

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/thephillyfly/sets/
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2005, 02:20:16 AM »
Not surprised.  And "cheeky" is being nice, in my view.  Also, not only are there the banner ads, but Interference actually sent emails out to people to plug the broker as a good way to get U2 tickets.  Unreal.  Why do I know that u2wanderer would never solicit me like that?  Why do I know that atu2 and u2log would never do this?

Anyway, anything to make a buck for ol' Joel.  No matter that the vast, VAST majority of fans are furious right now that a good deal of tickets will end up in brokers' hands instead of (membership-subscribed) fans' hands.

I'd go dig up my semi-recent posts on Interference basically stating what I thought of Tanner and his site (this after the phony Edge embarrassment), but:

1) I'm guessing that they've probably since been deleted, as they were in some threads which *gasp* actually called him out for being a deceitful liar running a site that has little, if any credibility anymore, and we just can't leave that laying around for the newbies who haven't yet ponied up any cash to see, now, can we?

2) I can't even search the forums unless I pay Joel (!), and I don't have my posts bookmarked, because I never intend to go back anyway.

I honestly do feel bad for anyone who still relies on that site for more than anything but pure entertainment from the forums.  Unfortunately, it's still the largest fan community, and many folks just don't know better.

There are too many free alternatives, at least for news and info.

Sadly, U2.com ain't one of 'em.  =/

slaneman

(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2005, 12:45:06 PM »
Amen to that.

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2005, 02:16:16 AM »
I'm shocked that you would suggest he would take a kickback from a ticket broker.

Um, where's the sarcasm smiley?

Carl

• Administrator
  • Transcriber
    • u2w
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2005, 04:15:52 AM »
I'm not suggesting anything... there is/was a large banner ad on interference leading to a scalping company (it has been up for a week at least, the big pink total tickets thing at the top of the site).  There was no sarcasm smiley for a reason - he added that code to his site and has to know where it leads to, and I highly doubt he put it up pro bono.  I'm not sure if you have a dry sense of humor or are actually a bit shocked about it...

We got an e-mail from total tickets asking how much a link to their site would be - we declined to respond.  They tried again and I said if they wanted to donate tickets we could set up a contest and then have a link to their site (they obviously weren't amused as they never replied).  I just got another e-mail today:

I am interested in getting a text link from your site. If you are offering, please let me know your rates.

Thank you
Brian Lewis
SoldOutTickets.Com

[Edited on 2005-1-29 by Carl]

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2005, 05:14:01 PM »
I meant a sarcasm smiley for me.

I have no doubt there are dirty dealings over at interference.com.

Thanks to Carl and Aaron for keeping this site on the up-and-up.

Carl

• Administrator
  • Transcriber
    • u2w
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2005, 09:53:06 PM »
Ah, ok.  I figured that was the case but wasn't sure how to read it. :)

Text based communication has its limits - as much as I love technology there really is no replacement for talking to somebody in a body.