Author Topic: ATYCLB Super Deluxe  (Read 9492 times)

Panama Jack

ATYCLB Super Deluxe
« on: September 10, 2020, 12:08:02 PM »
Yay for the announcement of the 20th Anniversary Super Deluxe of ATYCLB.  This album sometimes get a bad rap from "fans", but I love it and am excited to have this in my collection.

FYI... the 5CD set is up for pre-order on Amazon for $140. With that you get the book and all the swag, but if someone is only interested in the audio in CD quality, then Qobuz has it up for pre-order for $39.

dagobah

• exploring nature in Yellowstone/Grand Teton
Re: ATYCLB Super Deluxe
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2020, 08:26:01 AM »
Interesting!  I was hoping Pop would get the next Super Deluxe Edition release.  Now . . . . . I wonder if Pop ever will.

God, Part II

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2020, 08:35:53 AM »
Thank God it comes out one month after the Super Deluxe release of Prince’s SIGN ‘O’ THE TIMES because, even though U2 is my all-time favorite band, ATYCLB is my least favorite of their albums, while SIGN ‘O’ THE TIMES is probably Prince’s best. If I’d been forced to choose between the two at the same time, using the same paycheck, well...

dagobah

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2020, 06:18:57 AM »
the 5CD set is up for pre-order on Amazon for $140
Panama Jack, thanks for posting this info.  Thanks to Aaron for documenting the information [at u2songs.com] about the different formats of this release [at least the info that's available as of now].  I've had a day to think about this and I think $140 is over-priced for the 5-CD version.  With a release date of October 30 . . . . I guess this All That You Can't Leave Behind re-release will be available before the Joshua Tree concert DVD.  Now that I think about it . . . . . . I wouldn't be surprised if someone decided to make the Joshua Tree concert DVD the fan club gift for the U2.com 2021 subscription.

God, Part II

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2020, 12:39:38 PM »
Now that I think about it . . . . . . I wouldn't be surprised if someone decided to make the Joshua Tree concert DVD the fan club gift for the U2.com 2021 subscription.

So help me God, if they drop another pathetic, low definition DVD (a 24 year-old format!) on us again instead of a Blu-ray, I’ll scream. That’s not entitlement, that’s just asking for technology that actually matches our era.

Panama Jack

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2020, 12:44:17 PM »
What I'm wondering is whether the album itself will be the exact same remaster as the WAV files that came with the 2019 vinyl re-release? Or will it be yet another newer 2020 remaster? Any insight on that, @Aaron ?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 12:53:09 PM by Panama Jack »

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
    • http://www.u2wanderer.org
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2020, 05:20:56 PM »
the 5CD set is up for pre-order on Amazon for $140
Panama Jack, thanks for posting this info.  Thanks to Aaron for documenting the information [at u2songs.com] about the different formats of this release [at least the info that's available as of now].  I've had a day to think about this and I think $140 is over-priced for the 5-CD version.  With a release date of October 30 . . . . I guess this All That You Can't Leave Behind re-release will be available before the Joshua Tree concert DVD.  Now that I think about it . . . . . . I wouldn't be surprised if someone decided to make the Joshua Tree concert DVD the fan club gift for the U2.com 2021 subscription.

The Joshua Tree film is being shown in theatres before they release it on any home video format. And it's not currently scheduled due to the COVID-19 issues and theatres in some countries not even open.  I expect we won't see it until next year at the earliest. 

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
    • http://www.u2wanderer.org
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2020, 05:22:21 PM »
What I'm wondering is whether the album itself will be the exact same remaster as the WAV files that came with the 2019 vinyl re-release? Or will it be yet another newer 2020 remaster? Any insight on that, @Aaron ?

I doubt it will be new. But it does have The Ground Beneath Her Feet tacked onto it now.  Edge did all the remasters in 2017, and I expect he probably hasn't tinkered further.  That said, he would have done the extras so there may have been tweaks...we probably won't know until the 30th.

Panama Jack

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2020, 01:46:26 PM »
So now that the set is out... is there any confirmation whether the album is indeed the same remaster as the 2018 WAV files from the vinyl-re-release?

morgan1098

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2020, 01:10:04 PM »
I haven't heard the new set yet as I'm waiting for the price to drop on the 5CD. Almost every big box set this year saw a significant price decrease on amazon and elsewhere after release day. Not this one. The amazon US price is holding steady at $139. Bleh.

dagobah

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2020, 10:09:52 PM »
I love the All That You Can't Leave Behind album, I love the b-sides, rarities and remixes . . . . . . but there is not enough new content for me to buy the re-release in any format.  Remastered albums mean nothing to me [my ears just can't tell the difference].  I just don't need to have physical CDs with the b-sides, rarities/outtakes, remixes and the live Boston audio tracks [I have all that in digital form].  I actually have a large laminated ATYCLB concert poster that someone gave me and it's hanging on my bedroom wall.  I am interested in the booklet and hardcover book and I'd be willing to pay $20 for them . . . . . but not $140.

At a Depeche Mode fan forum, I read comments about the live version of The Fly [from that Boston concert].  The comments were "I’m getting the 2 disc set mainly for the Boston version of The Fly which is brilliant" and "That is the one song I plan to download.  The new arrangement was stunning on that tour."  I have no idea what these people are referring to . . . . . . so I am going to have to watch the performance of The Fly on my Boston DVD [Disc 1] and compare it to the existing live audio track in my iTunes library, which is from Seattle April 24, 2005 [and which I acquired from u2start.com].

I have read all the recent news articles on u2songs.com . . . . . . but I'm still not sure if these 4 unreleased remixes will be available to buy as individual digital downloads from the iTunes Store, Amazon or iomoio.com
Walk On [Wyclef Jean Remix]
When I Look At The World [Picante Remix]
New York [Carnegie’s Deli Remix]
New York [Superman Kicks Ativan Remix]
« Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 03:23:17 AM by dagobah »

God, Part II

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2020, 11:13:18 PM »
At a Depeche Mode fan forum, I read comments about the live version of The Fly [from that Boston concert].  The comments were "I’m getting the 2 disc set mainly for the Boston version of The Fly which is brilliant" and "That is the one song I plan to download.  The new arrangement was stunning on that tour."  I have no idea what these people are referring to . . . . . . so I am going to have to watch the performance of The Fly on my Boston DVD and compare it to the existing live audio track in my iTunes library, which is from Seattle April 24, 2005 [and which I acquired from u2start.com].

That’s hysterical! I literally posted this on Twitter four days ago: https://twitter.com/cansagleo/status/1322658608354570244?s=21

dagobah

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2020, 11:38:09 PM »
That’s hysterical! I literally posted this on Twitter four days ago: https://twitter.com/cansagleo/status/1322658608354570244?s=21
1.  On that Twitter thing, it says @CanSagLeo
      What does that refer to?
2.  On that photo, the CD is titled:  U2 ELEVATION LIVE   FROM BOSTON   ALBUM TWO
      Why does it say ALBUM TWO?
      Does that mean it is Disc 2 of the 2-Disc Live In Boston audio CD Set that is in the ATYCLB re-release?

God, Part II

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2020, 11:41:26 PM »
1.  On that Twitter thing, it says @CanSagLeo
      What does that refer to?
2.  On that photo, the CD is titled:  U2 ELEVATION LIVE   FROM BOSTON   ALBUM TWO
      Why does it say ALBUM TWO?
      Does that mean it is Disc 2 of the 2-Disc Live In Boston audio CD Set that is in the ATYCLB re-release?

1. That’s my Twitter handle.
2. Yes.

dagobah

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2020, 05:55:41 AM »
At a Depeche Mode fan forum, I read comments about the live version of The Fly [from that Boston concert].  The comments were "I’m getting the 2 disc set mainly for the Boston version of The Fly which is brilliant" and "That is the one song I plan to download.  The new arrangement was stunning on that tour."  I have no idea what these people are referring to . . . . . . so I am going to have to watch the performance of The Fly on my Boston DVD [Disc 1] and compare it to the existing live audio track in my iTunes library, which is from Seattle April 24, 2005 [and which I acquired from u2start.com].
So I discovered that the first 1:30 of that live version of The Fly has a great chill intro with Edge on electric guitar and Bono singing.  From that point on, however, it seems like a normal live version of The Fly.  I wonder if this chill intro was unique to the June 6, 2001 Boston performance.  Anyways . . . . . . for me, that great chill intro made it worth acquiring.  To acquire the best sounding audio file, here's what I did:

I extracted the audio of The Fly from my Boston DVD using the DVD Audio Extractor program.  I then bought the digital downloads from iomoio.com and the iTunes Store.  It's weird, on the iTunes Store, for that live version of The Fly . . . . . . on the $16.99 ATYCLB re-release, the track time is 7:22 and on the $24.99 ATYCLB re-release, the track time is 7:56

I compared all 4 audio files and decided to keep the one from the iTunes $24.99 ATYCLB album.  Since the last 1:22 of the audio file is just crowd noise with the PA system repeating "Gotta go" . . . . . . I edited the audio file so that it's total track time is now 6:33
« Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 06:14:40 AM by dagobah »