Author Topic: 5 favourite B-sides 1990-2000  (Read 9687 times)

PwlS

5 favourite B-sides 1990-2000
« on: December 31, 2004, 02:47:54 PM »
At the time when the tracklisting for the B-sides disc of the 1990-2000 Best Of was announced, I thought it was a joke. It seemed to have omitted all my favourite, most treasured and most sought-after tracks from the singles. Could you come up with a list of 5 1990-2000 B-sides which should have featured on that album had they selected the real best ones? Here is an example:

Satellite Of Love
Slow Dancing
Lemon (Perfecto Mix)
Two Shots Of Happy, One Shot Of Sad
Can't Help Falling In Love (Triple Peaks Remix)

u2rob

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/thephillyfly/sets/
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2004, 03:11:08 PM »
Hmm, interesting question.

If we have to stick to B-sides, and not pick tracks from promos, I'd go for:

Two Shots of Happy, One Shot of Sad (agreed)
Holy Joe (pick your favorite mix)
Slow Dancing (the U2-only version, absolutely)
Bottoms (Watashitachi No Ookina Yume) (Zoo Station Remix)
Alex Descends / Korova 1

Also, I'd have dropped the Solar Plexus Club Mix of Mysterious Ways in favor of the FAR superior Perfecto Mix, and switched the Jeep Mix of Lemon for the Perfecto Mix, among some other changes.

I could have totally done without the following:

Happiness is a Warm Gun (Gun Mix)
Numb (Gimme Some More Dignity Mix - Best of Edit)
Your Blue Room (should have been on the A-sides disc instead)

jimbo913

(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2005, 12:44:21 PM »
I have been trying to track down the U2 only slow dancing, but it is a tough one to find :( (still haven't bought the digital set).

Carl

• Administrator
  • Transcriber
    • u2w
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2005, 03:20:33 AM »
The five tracks I would pick...

Salome
Two Shots
SATS (Sad Bastard or Monster Truck Mix)
Holy Joe (Garage Mix)
Slow Dancing (U2)

and also... the FLY (lounge mix). Ok so maybe it doesn't deserve it, but it's a weird little song and I think the lyric changes are neat.

I liked having the Jeep Mix of Lemon as the Perfecto Mix is everywhere.  I think the Lemonade Mix would have been better, but it's been a while since I listened to all of them.  I like the Gimme Some More Dignity Mixes, but  the Happiness is a Warm Gun remix/cover doesn't really feel right as B-Sides track when "real" B-sides were left out.  And HMTMKMKM as an A-Side??  The U2 studio version of North & South of the River doesn't do much for me... the live version at the Omagh tribute was really amazing though.

At least this one wasn't as predictable as the 80-90 Best Of.  Though it seemed a bit early, I mean puttingATYCLB tracks on a Best Of two years after their release??  It's cool to see The First Time get on there.

@jimbo - if you're going to put in off topic comments, could you at least respond to the thread and then tag them at the end or something?  You should be able to buy the Slow Dancing track separate for 99cents as it isn't a unreleased album only special track.

u2rob

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/thephillyfly/sets/
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2005, 09:59:27 AM »
Ahh, the Lounge Fly Mix.  Totally agree with your points on that one.  Way more deserving of a spot than half of what did make it on there.  Also agree re: NASOTR.  Omagh was beautiful.  Studio version - a bit bland.

Was never a big fan of the old SATS mixes.  The newer SATS mixes by Brothers in Rhythm - love those, though.

Also, definitely would prefer the Lemonade Mix of Lemon, but it was never commercially released.  But I guess if they can call whatever they want a "B-side" and break the rules, you can too.  =P

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2005, 11:03:48 AM »
I created my own 1990-2000 B-sides disc long before U2 ever released the official version, and it's the one I still listen to:

1. Where Did It All Go Wrong?
2. Night And Day (Red, Hot and Blue version)
3. Paint It Black
4. Pop Muzik (Radio Edit)
5. Lady With The Spinning Head
6. North And South Of The River
7. Alex Descends Into Hell For A Bottle Of Milk/Korova I
8. Holy Joe (Guilty Mix)
9. Happiness Is A Warm Gun (The Gun Mix)
10. Two Shots Of Happy, One Shot Of Sad
11. I've Got You Under My Skin
12. Satellite Of Love
13. Salome
14. Slow Dancing (sans Willie Nelson)
15. Can't Help Falling In Love (Triple Peaks Mix)
16. Fortunate Son
17. I'm Not Your Baby (End Of Violence soundtrack version)

Even counting different mixes of the same track, that's 12 tracks that didn't appear on the official release.

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2005, 01:53:39 PM »
Just to add, I also disagreed with U2 putting ATYCLB material on Best Of 1990-2000.

I tend to think of U2's releases as a series of trilogies

Boy-October-War
Unforgettable Fire-Joshua Tree-Rattle And Hum
Achtung Baby-Zooropa-Pop

IMHO they should have saved the ATYCLB material to be included with material from HTDAAB and the next album.

I guess that would have made 80-90 span six albums while 90-00 would only span three (four if you throw in some tracks from Passengers).

jimbo913

(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2005, 03:15:00 PM »
Sorry Carl... I meant to come back and post mine too, but forgot.  And when I tried to, I got frustrated.  Sorry for the off topic post though... not something I usually do.

Unlike many of you one of my favs is NASOTR.  I have only heard the one on the GH album so I have nothing to compare it to really.  I also like the Slow Dancing with Willie, even better than the solo one (which I recently heard).  But that is just my opinion.  I guess my reluctance to put up a list comes from my inability to pick favorites.  They seem to change so frequently.  But I will try my best, and in no particular order:

-NASOTR
-Slow Dancing (con Willie)
-Elevation Escalation Mix (okay so that isn't 90-00, but it is one of my favs)
-Satellite of Love
-Salome (Studio), or version 1 on the out-takes, heck even the remixes.  I might even like this song more if I didn't sound like I was singing about a particular piece of cold cuts when singing along.
-Lady with a Spinning Head

I wish I had my discs in front of me, that might make this a bit easier.

So there, hopefully that will make up somewhat for my earlier transgression.

[Edited on 1/6/2005 by jimbo913]

santiago2u

• starchitect...then, father!
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2005, 08:02:44 PM »
here's mine:

walk to the water
hold on to love
spanish eyes
lady with the spinning head
slow dancing

santiago2u

• starchitect...then, father!
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2005, 08:04:53 PM »
ouch! I didn't read well this one:

lady with the spinning head
slow dancing
satellite of love
holy joe
korova 1

jimbo913

(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2005, 03:41:14 PM »
I bought an elevation cd single last night (I will include it, since U2 has atyclb stuff on the 90-00 set), and I absolutely love the Don't Take Your Guns to Town (J. Cash song) b-side.  Pure genious.  Now I am looking for the video.  Seems you can find the Sunday Times promo on ebay.  

I don't want to be off topic, so I would like to append DTYGTT on my list.

[Edited on 1/7/2005 by jimbo913]