Author Topic: stuff not on the complete set  (Read 9126 times)

jimbo913

stuff not on the complete set
« on: December 16, 2004, 03:10:08 PM »
I know that on this site there is the tracklisting of all the songs on the digital set, and some descriptions of what isn't included.  However, there are a few songs not in the set that aren't mentioned in the write up.  For example, the extended versions of Stay and Wanderer from Whim Williams' "Faraway So Close" soundtrack are not mentioned.

So... does there exist anywhere a complete list of songs not on the Digital Set?

I am getting closer and closer to buying this.  Sounds like a lot of money, but after spending $300 this weekend just to get our cats a physical, it starts sounding cheaper and cheaper.

One last Q:  can you burn the .acc files onto a DVD or CD just to back them up?  I would hate to spend the money and experience a HD crash or something and loose what I have (not that that would be my only problem if that were to happen).

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2004, 04:55:24 PM »
You can back up the tracks to DVD or any other kind of media and transfer them to any computer that is authorized to play tracks from your iTunes account.  (Maximum of 5 machines at a time.)

When I get home I'll try to go through all the tracks that I've added to my own "Complete U2" playlist, but it's still not everything I have.

I'm up to about 560 tracks now.

Some of it is redundant, like the B-Sides discs, and some is stuff that was never released on CD, like rips of the Boston Elevation DVD.

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2004, 06:52:55 PM »
Well, this isn't by any means an exhaustive list, but I think it covers every track that doesn't appear in ANY form on The Complete U2.  I tried not to list remixes, live versions, and edits for space reasons,  with the exception of the two tracks left off of Melon.

Beat On The Brat
Dancing Barefoot
Don't Take Your Guns To Town
Everlasting Love
Fortunate Son
Happiness Is A Warm Gun (The Danny Saber Mix)
Happiness Is A Warm Gun (The Gun Mix)
I Remember You (Live From Irving Plaza, NYC)
I'm Not Your Baby (Original Version)
I've Got You Under My Skin
Lemon (Bad Yard Club Mix) (Melon)
Maggie's Farm
Neon Lights
Night And Day (Original Version)
Paint It Black
Pop Muzik (Pop Mart Mix)
Salomé (Zooromancer Remix) (Melon)
Satellite of Love
Stuck In A Moment (Acoustic)
Sweet Fire Of Love (With Robbie Robertson)
Testimony (With Robbie Robertson)
The Hands That Built America (Gangs Of New York Soundtrack Version)
Unchained Melody

jimbo913

(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2004, 07:11:47 PM »
thanks Brad.  That helps a great bit.  I am kinda disappointed about the salome being left off of melon.  I wonder why it was left off.  I am actually getting into the remixes and they are a big reason why I would like to get the set.  This list is a great jumping off point.

Between Two Worlds

(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2004, 04:04:16 PM »
Is the Salomé (Zooromancer Remix) on Melon different from the track on the WGRTWH single and the Lemon (Bad Yard Club Mix) different from the Lemon Remixes CD (both of which are on the "Complete Set")? It is odd that they have been left out of the Melon album even if they are the same, as the set usually includes both, even if they are identical (the only exceptions seem to be singles which otherwise would have been duplicates in their entirety). There is also a Salomé (Zooromancer Remix Edit) in the Unreleased & Rare section.

I assume that the absence of a number of tracks is to do with copyright issues but there are a few songs which are available in the iTunes music store (UK) which are not in the "Complete Set" - I know of Fortunate Son, Paint It Black, Pop Muzik (Pop Mart Mix), and Satellite of Love - and I wonder why.

[Edited on 17-12-2004 by Between Two Worlds]

jimbo913

(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2004, 04:43:02 PM »
doh... just spent $30 on the WGRYWH cd single 2 from ebay cause I didn't think this set had the long version of Salome.  I hadn't seen it listed under the Achtung singles.  As far as I know, this is the same one as on Melon, which I am still trying to find (non-boot).  Not sure about Lemon, but I would assume it is the same.

jimbo913

(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2004, 04:57:56 PM »
to be honest I still can't decide what to do.  I feel like I am coming in so late on the CD single collecting that I will never be able to get them all... so on one hand it would be nice to get most of it in one fell swoop.  However, I don't like that it is compressed audio, and that I have nothing physical to show for it.  I don't have an IPod, so most of it would just live on my computer.  But what would happen should Mac go out of business or something, and I can't retrieve my key anymore, or my computer crashes and I loose my HD after already licensing it on another computer?  I don't even know if any of this even matters really.  

I guess I would just burn CDs, but I still know they are compressed.  I go back and forth on this.  I really wish that this would be released as a CD box set in volumes (just the non-album releases ala depeche mode).  Heck, I'd pay 5 times the price of itunes just to get a comprehensive set of U2 singles and remixes.

Between Two Worlds

(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2004, 05:29:37 PM »
I guess my ears aren't good enough to tell the difference but I am happy with the quality of the CDs burned from the iTunes set.  I have not done a comparison between one of my "proper" CDs and one burned on my laptop but I am pretty sure my audio equipment wouldn't allow me to hear a difference.  The incomplete nature of "The Complete Set" is rather more frustrating (I am not a collector but a little bit of a perfectionist).  For me it's been worth it because I had no singles apart from Vertigo (which was/were the very first single/s of any sort I ever bought!) and some of the albums only on tape and one on vinyl.

(You can authorise up to five computers at any one time so, having backed up the set safely on CDs or DVDs, a pretty major disaster would have to happen for you to loose the set.)

[Edited on 17-12-2004 by Between Two Worlds]

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2004, 11:54:25 PM »
Jimbo,

I just burned a CD for myself from The Complete U2 made up of the 8 singles from "U2 4 Play" and "Singles Pac 2."

It includes Three, Another Day, 11 O'Clock Tick Tock, A Day Without Me, I Will Follow, Fire, Gloria, A Celebration plus their respective B-sides.  Many of these tracks were only available on vinyl and are long out-of-print.

I can't tell you exactly what it would cost to put this collection together on vinyl today, but it cost me well in excess of $150 a few years ago.  I also spent hours recording and rerecording the vinyl-only tracks, then experimenting with various apps trying to make them sound as good as possible.

The CD I burned a few years back sounds OK.  The CD I burned using tracks from The Complete U2 sounds great and required virtually no time investment.  To me, this alone totally justified the $150.

The two complete live shows, early demos, and unreleased tracks are just icing on the cake.

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2004, 12:02:04 AM »
Originally posted by Between Two Worlds
Is the Salomé (Zooromancer Remix) on Melon different from the track on the WGRTWH single and the Lemon (Bad Yard Club Mix) different from the Lemon Remixes CD (both of which are on the "Complete Set")?

I believe the two remixes of Salomé are the same.

There are, however, two different versions of the Lemon Bad Yard Club Mix.  The version on the Lemon single (and iTunes) is 10:14 in length, while the version on Melon clocks in at 8:35.

I also thought it was very odd that they left these two tracks off of Melon while the rest of the set is littered with duplicate tracks.

Carl

• Administrator
  • Transcriber
    • u2w
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2004, 04:05:55 AM »
Those two remixes of Salomé are the same, however there are three different edits of that mix out there.  If you're ever in doubt about things like this the "By Song" section of the discography is a great help.

http://www.u2wanderer.org/disco/songs.html

jimbo913

(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2004, 11:26:30 AM »
You have a point there.  I mean, I just spent 30 dollars just to get one song.  Still would like to have them pressed on disc... But it would be a good thing for in the mean time.

Backing up is going to be tricky.  I have a dvd burner, but it is on my PC which is still... brace yourself... running win98. My laptop has winXP but no DVD burner.  I can always borrow an external though.

I wonder if this set will ever get any cheaper.