Author Topic: Record Store Day: Black Friday 2018 Release.  (Read 9018 times)

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
    • http://www.u2wanderer.org
Record Store Day: Black Friday 2018 Release.
« on: October 08, 2018, 07:01:36 PM »
The band is doing a release on black 12-inch vinyl, of "Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me" that will be officially announced tomorrow.  We've got a few more details now though:

https://www.u2songs.com/news/u2_to_release_for_rsd_black_friday_2018

The A-side will feature both Gavin Friday and Regine Chassagne from Arcade Fire on vocals. Not sure if it will be the exact same remix as the one we are hearing on tour, but should be similar at least. 

We are told it will be limited to 7000 copies, which is the same as Red Hill Mining Town, which wasn't all that difficult to find.  Here's hoping you all have luck in your search in November! 

Anam

Re: Record Store Day: Black Friday 2018 Release.
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 05:47:04 AM »
I'm pleased with this. Clearly a lot of work went into the interval. Is the A side credited to U2 or Gavin Friday?

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2018, 08:47:48 AM »
I'm pleased with this. Clearly a lot of work went into the interval. Is the A side credited to U2 or Gavin Friday?

The release is being credited to U2 in all of the pre-order information - but that's the full release not the individual songs. But the press information does mention the vocals by Gavin Friday and Regine Chassagne of Arcade Fire on the A-Side.  I expect that when it's announced officially today it will provide some clarity on that one. 

I know Larry Mullen plays on that version in the Intermission, but to me that doesn't give it enough to call it a U2 mix. :)

Cover may feature some Zooropa style Euro-inspired images. We should have an announcement in 2-3 hours I'd expect.

miryclay

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2018, 01:35:28 PM »
The drums are actually a really unique component to this mix. They sound like Thor or something. I suppose this release makes sense but no real reason to revisit HM,TM,KM,KM. (or is there). Except of course for the Best Of re-release. Having this mix much like The Fly is great for posterity I suppose.

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2018, 04:18:33 PM »
The drums are actually a really unique component to this mix. They sound like Thor or something. I suppose this release makes sense but no real reason to revisit HM,TM,KM,KM. (or is there). Except of course for the Best Of re-release. Having this mix much like The Fly is great for posterity I suppose.

Twofold...I would think...

They are about to tour through the UK, which is a big market and is undersold. This is a component of the show. So it may provide some interest in the show as well. Although the tour will be over by the time it comes out, the only boost will be in the advance mention of it all.

And yes, the 2018 remaster of "The Best Of 1990-2000" is being plugged in the press materials going out about this release.

Anam

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2018, 04:46:54 PM »
The Batman soundtrack was re-released on vinyl this year too so there might also be a little shove on there before Christmas. Arguably the world needs a new version of Hold Me etc more than another version of Love is Bigger. And I think Red Flag Day is on the naughty step for hurting Bono's voice! Maybe for RSD in the spring.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 04:31:17 PM by Anam »

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2018, 05:09:38 PM »
The Batman soundtrack was re-released on vinyl this year too so there might also be a little shove on there before Christmas. Arguably the world needs a new version of Hold Me etc more than another version of Love is Bigger. And I think Red Flag Day is on the naughty step for gurting Bono's voice! Maybe for RSD in the spring.

They may have wanted to hold off on promoting Red Flag Day too early as well.  Good news is Maverick has started approving remixes and sending them off to U2 for final approval.  So it seems that there will be some promotion of that song to come. Maybe it'll make a come back in the set list too...

miryclay

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2018, 09:43:45 AM »
I expect that we get some news about future releases soon. When are the announcements for the traditional Christmas season?

Panama Jack

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2018, 05:02:32 PM »
Do we know if this will come with WAV downloads like the other vinyl albums that have been released this year?  (and while not related to this release, I'm also wondering if the colored vinyl re-releases of TJT and Zooropa also come with WAV downloads?)

morgan1098

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2018, 05:53:24 PM »
Do we know if this will come with WAV downloads like the other vinyl albums that have been released this year?  (and while not related to this release, I'm also wondering if the colored vinyl re-releases of TJT and Zooropa also come with WAV downloads?)

It would be sad if the HMTMKMKM vinyl doesn't include a download. As I recall, I don't think any of the RSD releases have included downloads since "Ordinary Love."

This also raises a couple other questions:
1. What happened to the live recordings done at Third Man Records? Those were said to be on a "limited edition vinyl coming soon." Did HMTMKMKM replace  that?
2. Is The Joshua Tree 30 tour coming out on video or not? I'm surprised we got an announcement about the colored Zooropa and JT vinyl but nothing yet on the Mexico tour video. Maybe it will end up as a special on a streaming service or something. It's getting a bit late for Christmas season release announcements, but I guess they could still surprise us.

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2018, 07:26:29 PM »

Ordinary Love is the last RSD release to come with a download card, but both Red Hill Mining Town and Lights of Home were available on download/streaming services shortly after RSD. With this being an "RSD first" release and not an exclusive, I expect to be able to purchase the Gotham Experience Remix digitally by the end of November. The 2018 remaster of the original track is available in WAV with the new Best Of 90-00 vinyl release.

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2018, 07:32:07 PM »

It would be sad if the HMTMKMKM vinyl doesn't include a download. As I recall, I don't think any of the RSD releases have included downloads since "Ordinary Love."

This also raises a couple other questions:
1. What happened to the live recordings done at Third Man Records? Those were said to be on a "limited edition vinyl coming soon." Did HMTMKMKM replace  that?
2. Is The Joshua Tree 30 tour coming out on video or not? I'm surprised we got an announcement about the colored Zooropa and JT vinyl but nothing yet on the Mexico tour video. Maybe it will end up as a special on a streaming service or something. It's getting a bit late for Christmas season release announcements, but I guess they could still surprise us.

Third Man Records puts out Live at Third Man recordings pretty regularly. I just bought the Father John Misty one recently. I wouldn't be surprised to see it pop up for sale on the Third Man site before Christmas. They have also been known to drop releases on RSD that aren't part of the official RSD list.

Jack White's newest tour video is an Amazon Prime streaming exclusive, and I see that Coldplay just announced a career-spanning documentary on Amazon Prime as well. It does indeed look like streaming may be the future of tour films.

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2018, 04:29:23 PM »

I can confirmed the coloured vinyl come with WAV downloads through the Sound of Vinyl just like the 2017 / 2018 releases did for those two albums.  There's a download card mentioned with both.

U2Joshua

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2018, 08:41:17 PM »
Any comparison to tell if they are identical downloads to their recent predecessors?

Panama Jack

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2018, 11:12:02 PM »
I can confirmed the coloured vinyl come with WAV downloads through the Sound of Vinyl just like the 2017 / 2018 releases did for those two albums.  There's a download card mentioned with both.

Thanks!!  Was Joshua Tree remastered or tweaked at all?