Author Topic: The Joshua Tree 30th Anniversary Re-re-release  (Read 11529 times)

U2Joshua

Re: The Joshua Tree 30th Anniversary Re-re-release
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2017, 08:11:24 PM »

miryclay

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2017, 09:18:49 AM »
A question! So I downloaded this off of iTunes and I am making a CDR of the 8 new tracks. Should I keep them in 87 sequence or in 2017 sequence. BTW, the 87 sequence of JT is the best running order ever. Thoughts, opinions​?

morgan1098

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2017, 09:35:25 AM »
A question! So I downloaded this off of iTunes and I am making a CDR of the 8 new tracks. Should I keep them in 87 sequence or in 2017 sequence. BTW, the 87 sequence of JT is the best running order ever. Thoughts, opinions​?

I'd keep the new tracks in 2017 sequence!

Speaking of which, what are everyone's thoughts on the remixes? Here are my impressions after a couple listens:
One Tree Hill (St. Francis Hotel)-I like this one. It sounds "churchy."
Bullet the Blue Sky (Jacknife Lee)-It's ok. I think some of the raw power of the original is lost here.
Running to Stand Still (Lanois)-I hope this one will grow on me. At this point I think it sounds like an outtake from the MDH soundtrack. Rather than tragic it just sounds kind of sleepy.
RHMT (Lillywhite)-We're all familiar with this one by now. And when all is said and done, I think it's far and away the best of the new mixes.
WOWY (Lanois)-I expected Lanois' mixes to have lots of swampy guitar, but they are surprisingly heavy on electronics. To me this sounds like a Bono solo track over a bed of synths. I don't really feel like you hear much from Adam, Larry, and Edge, aside from the signature bass line buried far in the back.
Streets (Flood)-This is the biggest letdown for me. I love the fact that there are so many alternate vocal takes. And the last two minutes are gorgeous. But as I said on FB, it sounds like there are maybe three or four alternate versions of Streets here, and Flood couldn't decide which one he liked, so rather than exploring one version to the fullest he just mashed them all together in snippets. Plus the references to Bullet and WOWY seem really gimmicky to me.
ISHFWILF (Lillywhite alt. mix)--LOVE this one! Probably because it's not a modern attempt to reinvent anything. It's just an earlier mix from the original sessions, like the alt mix of I Will Follow. This song always had a great groove but it's really amped up here.
One Tree Hill (Eno)-Love this one as well. Kind of surprised it's not the actual "Oh great ocean" coda, but rather the first part of the song. I wish it went on longer.

Overall, I think Lillywhite is the winner here, with both his new mix of RHMT and the vintage ISHFWILF mix. Good stuff.

miryclay

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2017, 09:59:09 AM »
Yup, 87 Lillywhite is a revelation. OTH is really emotional when I listened to it. I think I might bookend OTH on my CDR sequence.

miryclay

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2017, 08:46:54 PM »
There is speculation online that BTBS is actually from Denver.

slaneman

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2017, 09:14:07 PM »

Nice to know. Doesn't surprise me. Shades of the Rosebowl DVD. If you don't remember, they edited in a part from a different show there as well. This has become a running joke among fans of their live shows.

I found out the other night while doing the lyrics. At first I thought, hmm, just put the parts WV called 'banter' with the correct song and that's it. I should have know better with U2's own live releases.

God, Part II

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2017, 10:21:10 PM »
The new pride and joy, the centerpiece, the flagship of my entire music library has arrived at last! An outstanding package for what, as far as I'm concerned, is the very best album of all time!

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2017, 01:09:25 AM »

It's definitely not the same performance as the 9/28/87 MSG show available from Wolfgang's Vault.

miryclay

« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2017, 06:33:37 AM »
Not the same show*

George

« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2017, 07:47:55 AM »
Just as happened last year when I pre-ordered the Innocence and Experience video from Amazon Canada, again I received yesterday an email saying that I can expect delivery sometime between June 21 and July 2!!!  A 3-week to 1-month delay for a preorder it's beyond ridiculous.

I wouldn't mind as much if Autorip was available in this country.

I have Prince's Purple Rain 3CD+DVD on preorder for June 21.  I wonder it it'll arrive first.  ...And about that set - $33.50 CAD.  That's how to price a 4-disc set of an ultra-classic album from the 80s.  Just saying.

U2Joshua

« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2017, 05:00:23 PM »

Speaking of which, what are everyone's thoughts on the remixes? Here are my impressions after a couple listens:
Bullet the Blue Sky (Jacknife Lee)-It's ok. I think some of the raw power of the original is lost here.
Running to Stand Still (Lanois)-I hope this one will grow on me. At this point I think it sounds like an outtake from the MDH soundtrack. Rather than tragic it just sounds kind of sleepy.
RHMT (Lillywhite)-We're all familiar with this one by now. And when all is said and done, I think it's far and away the best of the new mixes.
WOWY (Lanois)-I expected Lanois' mixes to have lots of swampy guitar, but they are surprisingly heavy on electronics. To me this sounds like a Bono solo track over a bed of synths. I don't really feel like you hear much from Adam, Larry, and Edge, aside from the signature bass line buried far in the back.
Streets (Flood)-This is the biggest letdown for me. I love the fact that there are so many alternate vocal takes. And the last two minutes are gorgeous. But as I said on FB, it sounds like there are maybe three or four alternate versions of Streets here, and Flood couldn't decide which one he liked, so rather than exploring one version to the fullest he just mashed them all together in snippets. Plus the references to Bullet and WOWY seem really gimmicky to me.
ISHFWILF (Lillywhite alt. mix)--LOVE this one! Probably because it's not a modern attempt to reinvent anything. It's just an earlier mix from the original sessions, like the alt mix of I Will Follow. This song always had a great groove but it's really amped up here.
One Tree Hill (Eno)-Love this one as well. Kind of surprised it's not the actual "Oh great ocean" coda, but rather the first part of the song. I wish it went on longer.

Overall, I think Lillywhite is the winner here, with both his new mix of RHMT and the vintage ISHFWILF mix. Good stuff.

I'm glad that the law of the land ("each to his own") reigns king :P

I'm not a Lillywhite fan.  Never have been.  I find his contributions to be flat, uninteresting and uninspired.  I am, hands-down, an unabashed Eno/Lanois proponent, such that any one of the Eno/Lanois' albums (TUF, TJT, AB, ATYCLB and NLOTH), if it were the only U2 album to have ever seen the light of day, I would be a fan.  Conversely, if every album outside those 5 existed, and none of the 5 above were extant, I would not be a U2 fan.  Oh, but for Passengers, Original Soundtracks 1, and even the MDH Soundtrack - I would be a fan if only those ever existed ;)

On that note, regarding the new remixes, I'm finding great satisfaction in the Lanois mixes.  Admittedly, Lanois is eccentric (dare I say, an "eclectic genius") and he can, perhaps, overcommit to a particular flavor, at times.  In both of his remixes here, they are unambiguously "dated."  Dated to the current era of Lanois, that is.  That ambient, slightly halting pedal steel guitar, infused with his "using the studio as an instrument" utilization of synth to accompany...  But, since in my book Daniel Lanois can do no wrong, I wholeheartedly submit to his remixes! :o  Eno hardly got a fair shot, but I do at least like his "honorable mention" that is the "reprise."  I am actually enjoying Flood's "Streets."  It is a bit avant-garde, but I think that's the only thing you would dare do with "Streets."

As for Lillywhite?  Meh...  Most importantly, perhaps, is that he messed with the wrong song (ISHFWILF) - Greatest. Song. Ever. Recorded!  Well, that is..., in it's original album format - not the post TJT "gospelization" of the track that stripped it of it's production gold and turned it into some offbeat chanting, field-hollering session ::)  So, for Lillywhite to alter the original studio version, in the slightest iota, is blasphemy to this crotchety old b@$|@^! >:(

Lillywhite's impact on U2:
  • Too safe
  • Lacks complexity
  • Lacks character
  • Lacks depth
  • Lacks innovation
  • Lacks mystery
  • Lacks adding anything to the music
Okay.  I'm sorry for the rant.  Sorry, Steve (if you're reading this [and, I'm sure you're are]) :P

Oh, and Don...  you know I love you, which is the only reason I feel as free and so compelled to vent my true feelings ;D

...okay, perhaps I've mildly embellished them :P
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 06:39:50 PM by U2Joshua »

morgan1098

« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2017, 08:06:47 PM »

I'm glad that the law of the land ("each to his own") reigns king :P

I'm not a Lillywhite fan.  Never have been.  I find his contributions to be flat, uninteresting and uninspired.  I am, hands-down, an unabashed Eno/Lanois proponent, such that any one of the Eno/Lanois' albums (TUF, TJT, AB, ATYCLB and NLOTH), if it were the only U2 album to have ever seen the light of day, I would be a fan.  Conversely, if every album outside those 5 existed, and none of the 5 above were extant, I would not be a U2 fan.  Oh, but for Passengers, Original Soundtracks 1, and even the MDH Soundtrack - I would be a fan if only those ever existed ;)

On that note, regarding the new remixes, I'm finding great satisfaction in the Lanois mixes.  Admittedly, Lanois is eccentric (dare I say, an "eclectic genius") and he can, perhaps, overcommit to a particular flavor, at times.  In both of his remixes here, they are unambiguously "dated."  Dated to the current era of Lanois, that is.  That ambient, slightly halting pedal steel guitar, infused with his "using the studio as an instrument" utilization of synth to accompany...  But, since in my book Daniel Lanois can do no wrong, I wholeheartedly submit to his remixes! :o  Eno hardly got a fair shot, but I do at least like his "honorable mention" that is the "reprise."  I am actually enjoying Flood's "Streets."  It is a bit avant-garde, but I think that's the only thing you would dare do with "Streets."

As for Lillywhite?  Meh...  Most importantly, perhaps, is that he messed with the wrong song (ISHFWILF) - Greatest. Song. Ever. Recorded!  Well, that is..., in it's original album format - not the post TJT "gospelization" of the track that stripped it of it's production gold and turned it into some offbeat chanting, field-hollering session ::)  So, for Lillywhite to alter the original studio version, in the slightest iota, is blasphemy to this crotchety old b@$|@^! >:(

Lillywhite's impact on U2:
  • Too safe
  • Lacks complexity
  • Lacks character
  • Lacks depth
  • Lacks innovation
  • Lacks mystery
  • Lacks adding anything to the music
Okay.  I'm sorry for the rant.  Sorry, Steve (if you're reading this [and, I'm sure you're are]) :P

Oh, and Don...  you know I love you, which is the only reason I feel as free and so compelled to vent my true feelings ;D

...okay, perhaps I've mildly embellished them :P

LOL! No worries Josh. Believe it or not, I share your producer preferences, I love Eno/Lanois--and Flood for that  matter--which is why I find myself surprised liking the Lillywhite material better on the new set. I had high hopes for the Flood remix and those were dashed, undoubtedly because he probably felt intimidated trying to mess with perfection. And I'm not a fan of Lanois' mixes for the very same reason you like them... they are "dated to the current Lanois era."

But I'm sure the mixes will grow on me. They always do. I've actually listened to an original 87 pressing of the Joshua Tree on CD no less than five times this week while working on an article for U2Songs. I've got to agree with God Part II, it is the very best album of all time. When all is said and done the bonus material will always pale to that.  :)

Love ya man...

dagobah

• exploring nature in Yellowstone/Grand Teton
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2017, 03:47:25 AM »
For The Joshua Tree 30th Anniversary release, on CD #2 - Live at Madison Square Garden 1987, I used several websites to try to find the answer to my question, but I failed.  So here is my question:

Are all the live tracks from the same concert?
Or . . . . . are some from September 28, 1987 . . . . . . and the others from September 29, 1987

Duh!  I forgot to check u2songs.com   I feel like an idiot now.  OK . . . so now I know the live tracks were from September 28, 1987.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 04:49:47 AM by dagobah »

miryclay

« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2017, 08:14:35 PM »
For The Joshua Tree 30th Anniversary release, on CD #2 - Live at Madison Square Garden 1987, I used several websites to try to find the answer to my question, but I failed.  So here is my question:

Are all the live tracks from the same concert?
Or . . . . . are some from September 28, 1987 . . . . . . and the others from September 29, 1987

Duh!  I forgot to check u2songs.com   I feel like an idiot now.  OK . . . so now I know the live tracks were from September 28, 1987.

BUt they weren't actual. Despite the packaging we've been able to sleuth that some tracks were recorded in Denver. BTBS to be specific.

dagobah

• exploring nature in Yellowstone/Grand Teton
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2017, 03:42:07 AM »
BUt they weren't actual. Despite the packaging we've been able to sleuth that some tracks were recorded in Denver. BTBS to be specific.
Hhm . . . . that's interesting.  Thank you for the info.