Author Topic: Girl Talk: All Day  (Read 6773 times)

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
    • http://www.u2wanderer.org
Girl Talk: All Day
« on: November 15, 2010, 01:19:18 PM »
Today on the website Illegal Art, the performer "Girl Talk" released his new album for free in mp3 format.  The new album is called "All Day" and can be downloaded here:  http://illegal-art.net/allday/

Available right now are two formats, one in mp3 as separated tracks and one in mp3 as one seamless file.  It lists that FLAC versions will be added in 12-48 hours, and in the past CDs have been released at a later date for a reasonable price.

Why does this get brought up here?

Well for what I believe is the first time, Gregg Gillis has included a U2 sample.  On what is listed as the sixth track, he uses U2's "With or Without You".  It is mixed with 11 other tracks to become one super mashed up track.  The portion of "With or Without You" that is used is mostly instrumental, but does include many of the "Whooo hooo hooos" at the end of the song.  It is instantly recognizable, but you'll have to listen to the end of the track to find it.  Over top is a song called "Wetter" by Twista (rap) and "Bad Romance" by Lady Gaga (Pop).

The song also samples New Order's "Bizarre Love Triangle" which was also popular in 1987.  Track  also samples "Wake Up" by the Arcade Fire, a song very familiar to U2 fans. 

The samples are not cleared with the record label and are instead said to be used under "Fair Use".  Thus U2 may not have given their blessing for the song to be used in this manner.

I for one have really enjoyed his work in the past, and he puts on an entertaining live show.  Can't wait to listen to the full album later tonight. 

hj

Re: Girl Talk: All Day
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 02:02:34 PM »
I'm having trouble downloading that, but hopefully it will work soon.
I would love to hear what he's done with WOWY.

I attended Sonic Boom 2009, a new modern rock Festival here in Edmonton, and Girl talk performed. 
It was a refreshing change of pace when he cranked out all the pop songs, and certainly put a ton of energy into the show.
He had the coolest inflatable balls and pillows.

It was something!!
He got half the crowd up on stage with him while he stood on his mixing table and pounded out the hits.
There was a point when we all laughed realizing we were dancing to Kelly Clarkson with great abandon.

He manages to bridge the gap on music genres, it was a blast!

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 03:18:49 PM »
I saw Girl Talk on 08/08/08 at the All Points West Festival in New York.  Was a great performance, and a really good time.  He sure knows how to play a crowd.

I hear the servers are majorly overtaxed at the moment, and they are suggesting that people keep trying that people are getting in. 

hj

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 06:01:25 PM »
Great photos.  I'd forgotten about the TP launcher.

I will keep trying to download it...I'll try tonight maybe it will be less busy.

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 09:54:19 PM »
Keeps timing out for me.

slaneman

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 09:12:03 AM »

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 10:04:24 PM »
Supposedly track five also has a Sunday Bloody Sunday sample around 4:00 in, but I haven't had a chance to hear this one for myself.  :-)

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2010, 11:06:40 PM »
Finally able to download from a mirror site.

So many 80's samples.  8)

slaneman

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2010, 12:08:51 AM »
Supposedly track five also has a Sunday Bloody Sunday sample around 4:00 in, but I haven't had a chance to hear this one for myself.  :-)

I don't hear SBS at any point on track 5 but I do hear Cecilia by Simon & Garfunkle and over that something with the lyrics like "lemme see you get low" then "back it up" at that point...then around 5:00 there's the guitar riff from Casey Jones by the Dead...then my head exploded... ;D

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2010, 12:35:22 PM »
If you look up "All Day" on wikipedia there's a list of all the samples used.  It lessens the head blowing, but they still havent' cataloged everything i don't think...

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2010, 06:01:33 PM »
I listened to the first half of the album on the way to work. It is amazing how many recognizable samples he's packed in there. Afraid I don't recognize much of the rap stuff, though.

And they said there will never be another Paul's Boutique. Only if you give it away.

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2010, 04:07:12 PM »
They have the album up in FLAC now if anyone is intersted. I burned myself a gapless CD last night.

George

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2010, 10:17:33 PM »
This is one of the most fun albums I've listened to in a long time, and it's so easy to just run right through the full 75 minutes.  Now if only he'll put out a profanity-free version of it so I can play it at my wedding next summer and save an hour of DJ time!