Author Topic: Number of duplicates on Complete U2?  (Read 2986 times)

PekkaL

Number of duplicates on Complete U2?
« on: September 01, 2008, 05:39:30 AM »
In the interest of knowing how many U2 tracks I actually own, I have recently been doing some research on the iTunes Complete U2 Box Set, with the help of the excellent U2Wanderer news article (http://www.u2wanderer.org/isthatall/004.html).

From the article, I counted 47 duplicate tracks (though 48 seems to have been the official number so far). With closer inspection, though, it seems that there are even a few more.

Even Better than the Real Thing (album and single): There is no difference between these two tracks, but it is actually the single version repeated here twice. The actual album version is missing (listen to the very end of the track).

Angel of Harlem (album and single): I can't hear any differences between these two versions either. I'm guessing it is again just a duplicate of either one. Can anyone confirm this, and if, which version is it actually? (I know, the difference is very subtle to begin with.)

Bad (on the Best of 1980-1990): This is not the edit originally found on the best of album, but the very same version than on The Unforgettable Fire.

When Love Comes to Town (on the Best of 1980-1990): Neither is this the very minor edit found on the best of album, but the same version than on Rattle and Hum.

Mysterious Ways (on the Best of 1990-2000): There is no alternative vocal track on this version, but it is the very same version found both on the album and the single.

I'm also counting in Vertigo (there is only a longer silence at the end of the album track, compared to the "single version").

On the other hand:

Discotheque (Single Version) is a clear edit at the beginning of the track, though it is listed as a duplicate on the news article. Is this actually the 12" Version"?

Then there is also the question if Where the Streets Have No Name (Live from Boston) should be counted as a duplicate (it is included both on the Walk On single, and on the Bad/40/WTSHNN Medley on the Electrical Storm single). Right now, I'm willing to count the former version as an edit of the Medley version, and I'm not counting that as a duplicate. Yet.

So, that makes it actually 52 duplicate tracks on my list. Has anyone found even more? Waiting for comments.

... And Lemon (Momo Beats) is actually Momo's Reprise, so 53 duplicates so far

... And A Sort of Homecoming (Live) is also duplicated, which was missed on the news article. So, 54 duplicates.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 02:20:03 PM by PekkaL »