Author Topic: Sorting singles in this download-only era  (Read 1734 times)

George

Sorting singles in this download-only era
« on: June 16, 2018, 10:13:19 AM »
I'm wondering how many of you have been sorting the recent singles on your computers.

I have always put the different releases of the same single into one folder, and I just tag each with a different disc number.  So for example, I put all the different versions of the Elevation single as different discs of the same release, so:
1 - CID780 (UK CD1)
2 - CIDX780 (UK/EU CD2)
3 - CIDT780 (EU 2-track CD)
4 - CIDZ780 (EU CD1)
5 - CIDY780 (EU "Tour Edition" CD)
6 - UK promo 12" (12ELE2)
7 - some promo CDR tracks that are super-rare and I don't own

That was easy, though of course the order is certainly up for debate.  But now that there are three singles from the current album with no physical releases, how is sorting to be done?  For example, with the first single, You're The Best Thing About Me, there were three tracks sold individually: the album version, the Kygo mix, and the acoustic version.  Also, the Sci-Fi Soul Mix was made available as a promotional download.  As each of the tracks were sold individually, do you sort them as three different discs, each being track 1 of 1?  I've thought about that, though it seems awkward.  I've sorted them as tracks 1, 2, and 3 of 3 of the same disc, and I chose the order based on release date.  Then I label the promo as disc 2, so:
Disc 1:
  1. album version
  2. Kygo mix
  3. acoustic version
Disc 2:
  1. Sci-Fi Soul Mix

I sort the Get Out Of Your Own Way single similarly, with the three commercially available tracks being on disc 1, sorted by release date (Switch remix, Afrojack remix, and acoustic version), and then disc 2 is similar (radio edit, full Switch remix, extended Afrojack remix).

Lastly, and I only mention this because now things get more weird, is the Love Is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way single.  First, a 3-track "EP" was released, so that's obviously disc 1.  But then, each separately, came the acoustic version, Cheat Codes version, and Beck remix.  Are they tracks 4-6 of disc 1 (that's what I did) or should they be tracks 1-3 of disc 2, since the EP release is sort of its own thing?  I don't think they should be each on their own disc.  As for all those additional promo-only releases out there, I'm not sorting them anywhere until I know if they're officially released or not - it seems like to much effort to bother with if a bunch of tracks change from promo to commercial soon.

So...what different organizing methods are my co-collectors using?

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
    • http://www.u2wanderer.org
Re: Sorting singles in this download-only era
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2018, 11:28:24 AM »
This is a look at how I handle the older singles. Everything is sorted by artist (U2) and then by the date and type of release (2000 Single 01 - Beautiful Day) and then inside that directory I sort by type of media (12, CD, CD-PR for promos) and then country, and finally catalog number and usually any distinguishing features.

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
    • http://www.u2wanderer.org
Re: Sorting singles in this download-only era
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2018, 11:34:13 AM »
And here's a look at how I've been handling the more recent versions...
I also track names when I get it from someone else, so there's a few blanks in the pict where I took out some names...
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 11:41:17 AM by Aaron »