Author Topic: U2.com 2017 subscriber "gift"  (Read 12088 times)

George

Re: U2.com 2017 subscriber "gift"
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2017, 09:24:02 AM »
...the audio hasn't been converted from a smooth analog waveform to a stairstep binary digital code...

This is a myth about digital audio.
http://productionadvice.co.uk/no-stair-steps-in-digital-audio/

Plus, I'll bet dollars to doughnuts these records are cut from a digital master.

Yes, there are no cut-and-dry answers when it comes to what is better, although I generally stand with God Part II in the wish that vinyl would, if not disappear, be matched with an identical digital media release.

There are many releases these days on vinyl that were originally digitally recorded.  Unless you receive a file that is in the original sample rate and bit depth, regardless of whether or not your media is CD or vinyl, you're losing something.

Similarly, lots of recordings, like The Joshua Tree, were recorded to tape.  The gift we're getting has been digitally remastered and is now being pressed to vinyl.  Each step of the way, something is lost.  This is true every time that there is an analogue step involved in the process.  Of course it might be very small, but it is there nevertheless.

George

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2017, 09:26:46 AM »
Only if they're lossless will it pass muster with me and, even then, something about music that only exists as a file on a hard drive doesn't sit well with me.

Absolutely yes.  It also makes enjoying the collection much more possible.  Where is the joy in having that rare track on your hard drive when you could have it in your hands?

God, Part II

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2017, 09:53:08 AM »
Regarding the vinyl aspect, obviously we don't need to start an audiophile debate here, but the merits of vinyl go beyond bitrates. Properly mastered vinyl is truly lossless, in that the audio hasn't been converted from a smooth analog waveform to a stairstep binary digital code. Sure, you might not own a turntable, but most people don't own a CD player anymore either. At least this way you're getting a collectible piece that actually has audio (as opposed to the serigraphs) and if you don't like it, you can resell it for much more money.

This article thoroughly and richly covers why I find vinyl to be a subordinate medium to CD, and on top of all of it, I have to add that each and every time you play a vinyl, it progressively degrades, whereas the fidelity offered by CD remains constant no matter how many times it's played. To George's point, if that's your thing, no sweat off my back, but when the only options offered are vinyl and/or compressed digital downloads/streams, then I get pissed.

http://www.laweekly.com/music/why-cds-may-actually-sound-better-than-vinyl-5352162

George

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2017, 02:17:42 PM »
To George's point, if that's your thing, no sweat off my back, but when the only options offered are vinyl and/or compressed digital downloads/streams, then I get pissed.

Rereading my post, I clearly wasn't clear.  What I meant to convey is that I prefer to have a digital physical copy over simply a downloaded file, as the downloaded version really brings very little joy to me and my collection (in comparison to a CD).  You and I, we're on the same page.

God, Part II

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2017, 05:10:11 PM »
Rereading my post, I clearly wasn't clear.  What I meant to convey is that I prefer to have a digital physical copy over simply a downloaded file, as the downloaded version really brings very little joy to me and my collection (in comparison to a CD).  You and I, we're on the same page.

LOL, I think you are misreading my reply! I said, "to George's point"--in other words, "in support of what George already said about vinyl and CD coexisting". And when I said "if that's your thing", I was addressing Nikabrik's affection for vinyl.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 05:11:57 PM by God, Part II »

U2Joshua

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2017, 05:13:47 PM »
I'm a digital guy, mainly because I've not invested in a record player, and don't seek out purchasing vinyl.  I believed the experts when things went digital and they said digital was better.  To each their own - I'm fine with someone who thinks clicks, hiss, pop, etc. = better sound.  I listened to plenty of vinyl as a kid, when that was the technology of the day.  For now, I'm a digital consumer, regardless if it's physical (cd) or not.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 04:37:47 PM by U2Joshua »

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2017, 10:45:29 AM »
Regarding the vinyl aspect, obviously we don't need to start an audiophile debate here, but the merits of vinyl go beyond bitrates. Properly mastered vinyl is truly lossless, in that the audio hasn't been converted from a smooth analog waveform to a stairstep binary digital code. Sure, you might not own a turntable, but most people don't own a CD player anymore either. At least this way you're getting a collectible piece that actually has audio (as opposed to the serigraphs) and if you don't like it, you can resell it for much more money.

This article thoroughly and richly covers why I find vinyl to be a subordinate medium to CD, and on top of all of it, I have to add that each and every time you play a vinyl, it progressively degrades, whereas the fidelity offered by CD remains constant no matter how many times it's played. To George's point, if that's your thing, no sweat off my back, but when the only options offered are vinyl and/or compressed digital downloads/streams, then I get pissed.

http://www.laweekly.com/music/why-cds-may-actually-sound-better-than-vinyl-5352162

This video clears up a lot of myths about the "shortcomings" of digital audio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIQ9IXSUzuM

miryclay

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2018, 09:47:47 PM »
In response to the following article:

http://www.u2songs.com/news/fan_club_vinyl_most_still_waiting

The Pearl Jam gift is also a year and a half late and started shipping in the last two weeks.
This U2 package might be taking longer because of vinyl production. I am awaiting this one because all of my JT 12 inches were sold over the years which I regret. Luckily I own the JT 30 vinyl box set so all b sides are accounted for in that format.

If I could hope for a future gift it would be a vinyl copy of the U22 monolith which is the best gift of the lot. Does anyone have extra copies of Artificial Horizon on vinyl?

I am also hoping for a clearing house of studio tracks a la the medium, rare and remastered. I am sure there is enough material to fill 2cds. But the 2018 will probably be live audio from JT30, BBC special or live ie audio such as Paris.

God, Part II

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2018, 12:02:37 PM »
Personally, I am vehemently opposed to these subscriber gifts being offered in vinyl format only, which personally despise and do not/will not use. Any music offered as a subscriber gift should be offered in vinyl, CD and lossless download versions, from which each subscriber can select their preferred format.

miryclay

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2018, 02:13:32 PM »
Your anger is palpable. Personally, I think embracing multiple formats is cool. I only own a $100 turntable that is hooked up to my PC. I only buy vinyl of bands that I really like and that I know I can get rid of one day if necessary. 

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
    • http://www.u2wanderer.org
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2018, 08:21:04 AM »
Personally, I am vehemently opposed to these subscriber gifts being offered in vinyl format only, which personally despise and do not/will not use. Any music offered as a subscriber gift should be offered in vinyl, CD and lossless download versions, from which each subscriber can select their preferred format.

Personally I think we should be given a choice of vinyl or CD for the gift.  And regardless of which you choose they should make the lossless downloads available to everyone on the same day they start shipping to avoid this three month window of some subscribers having their gifts and some having nothing...

God, Part II

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2018, 05:53:09 PM »
Personally I think we should be given a choice of vinyl or CD for the gift.  And regardless of which you choose they should make the lossless downloads available to everyone on the same day they start shipping to avoid this three month window of some subscribers having their gifts and some having nothing...

Hot damn, let's put you in charge!

miryclay

« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2018, 07:36:17 PM »
I concur. My gift came today in Ontario.

Tavernier

« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2018, 12:15:20 PM »
Personally, I am vehemently in favor of these Best Penis Extenders and opposed to these subscriber gifts being offered in vinyl format only, which personally despise and do not/will not use. Any music offered as a subscriber gift should be offered in vinyl, CD and lossless download versions, from which each subscriber can select their preferred format.

That would make a lot of sense, Aaron. Why can't you be in charge of that? Mine still hasn't arrived nor do I expect it to for another week or 2.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2021, 08:55:44 AM by Tavernier »

George

« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2018, 01:48:14 PM »
I'm still waiting for mine, and I just received this email from "Jerry" of the U2.com support team:

Following dispatch of initial orders, there were unexpected delays in production of the four 10” discs which form the new limited edition collection The Joshua Tree Singles Vinyl Collection: 1987 & 2017. Production is now underway again and dispatch of the gift will begin again in early February 2018. We’ll email you as soon as your copy hits the post so that you know when to expect it.

To use a term that's popular these days, I'd say that sometimes it feels that the fan club that I'm a member of is a bit of a shithouse.