Author Topic: New Original Material  (Read 3883 times)

sagunt

New Original Material
« on: October 04, 2009, 09:33:50 PM »
I read an interview a couple of years ago which outlined the work the band had been doing since recording and touring HTDAAB/Vertigo.  Apparently they had enough for two albums.  Consequently, we have NLOTH and will soon have another collection in a style outside the normal alt/rock genre.  I thought it was supposed to be available this month but haven't heard anything new forthcoming from the Morocco sessions.

Cheers.

Z000

• And I have no reasons, no reasons to get back
Re: New Original Material
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 11:10:28 PM »
There's an interview with them in this month's Rolling Stone where they talk a lot about it. They all want to finish up the rest of the Morocco songs and even revisit some of their songs from their Abbey Road sessions (back when they did Window In the Skies), and that's probably what they'll do between the end of this leg of the tour and the start of the next leg in august. They're still referring to the next album as Songs of Ascent, calling it a continuation of NLOTH, and planning Every Breaking Wave as the first single. I guess it was dropped from NLOTH very close before release and a lot of producers and friends had said it was their favorite.

Bono in particular said he wants some pop (the genre, not the album) numbers on Songs of Ascent, something for the pop charts and the radio. Not sure how I feel about that. I've never really considered them a "pop" band, or even "pop rock," especially for the last few years.

Bono and the Edge are also working on the soundtrack to the Spider-Man musical, and there are rumors that after Songs of Ascent they'll put out a U2 Spider-Man album, in addition to (or less likely, instead of) the original cast soundtrack. Larry and Adam seem like they really don't want to do it. I don't like most musicals in the first place and I think turning Spider-Man into one is a stupid idea, so I kind of side with Adam and Larry. Then again, it could be much better if it was a project by the whole band rather than a Bono & Edge thing.

Anyway, look up the article on Rolling Stone's website. Or you could even grab a copy. Bono and Edge are on the cover, making the same poses they seem to always do.

God, Part II

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 06:53:11 AM »
Bono and Edge are on the cover, making the same poses they seem to always do.

LOL!  I noticed the same thing--enough with the silent scream, Bono; close your mouth before a fly gets in there!

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
    • http://www.u2wanderer.org
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 10:36:45 AM »
Anyway, look up the article on Rolling Stone's website. Or you could even grab a copy. Bono and Edge are on the cover, making the same poses they seem to always do.

There isn't much on the new album in the new issue, that article is very focussed on the tour.  The article on the new album was a web only story I believe...

Z000

• And I have no reasons, no reasons to get back
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 04:53:36 PM »
LOL!  I noticed the same thing--enough with the silent scream, Bono; close your mouth before a fly gets in there!

Too late: We all know Bono swallowed a fly in 1991 and underwent a transformation that didn't wear off until december of 1993.

sagunt

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 07:38:31 AM »
Cheers,

In short, the now very old prediction that the Moroccan sessions would be out this month is now considered inaccurate?  We have to wait another year?

...but ZOOOO, I remember the descriptions being neither pop nor alt-rock or whatever else we would describe their music.  It was "something entirely different to anything else".  That was the reason I was so interested.  Ah, well, either way...

I thought I had set my account to notify of responses, but apparently not.