Author Topic: Radio Shows.  (Read 3053 times)

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
    • http://www.u2wanderer.org
Radio Shows.
« on: February 14, 2014, 06:13:53 PM »
Hi All --

Finishing up on the entries for the new discography and finally tackling the radio show issue.  :)  I know I know - I've avoided it over the years because I didn't have a lot of information, but now a days its easier to track these down, and to find out more information.

Just wondering what you would think would work best?  One entry for each show / disc released?  Or one entry per series.  i.e. "BBC Classic Tracks" is a series, and they've done 2-3 different U2 shows over the years.  Same with "Off the Record" etc.  I'd just combine these into one entry with information about the individual shows.  What do you think?  Your opinions are highly valued.  :)

Listening to my Zoo TV Live from Sydney Westwood One Broadcast right now as I contemplate the best way into this world...

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
Re: Radio Shows.
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 06:20:15 PM »
Part two of the question above - anyone out there have any radio shows (cd or vinyl) that they'd be willing to share a list of?  Makes it easier to find out about them if I know who has what.  :)

slaneman

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 11:36:58 PM »
Since I know next to nothing about the physical media used by radio shows I'd like to be able to search by show date-- so I guess one entry per show/disc would be my preference.

I seem to remember there was info about these on the old atU2--maybe you wrote that? I enjoyed reading about those recordings.

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2014, 06:00:33 PM »
I do have access to the old atu2.com collector's stuff (as I'm on staff over there, and I was part of the staff back when they did the collectors thing - I worked on the price guide...)  Not remembering that particular one but I'll take a look to see what I can dig out.  Thanks for reminding me of that.

Most of the radio shows arrived on LP back in the day, and CDs from about 1990 onwards.  Now a days most are being delivered electronically however there are a few odd CDs still around.

I do have a few of the bigger ones such as a Westwood One release of "Zoo TV in Sydney" and "Zoo TV in Dublin".  And a couple of the releases from the more recent "Three Nights" promo that was done leading into the release of "No Line on the Horizon".  I also have an old copy of the King Biscuit stuff as well. 

When I was talking series I'll give you an example - BBC Classic Tracks was one of these.  Each week there would be a show issued for air.  Often they reused the same material a number of times.  Thus the old Hammersmith Odeon material from '82 appeared a number of times on this show, each gaining it's own disc.  Although there was a second show cut from the Hammersmith Odeon stuff, so not every "BBC Classic Tracks" had the same setlist.  You'd need to track down two copies of the disc to get the whole thing for instance.  Maybe the best way to do it would be to have one listing for each unique show - thus if the show just reused material from an earlier show contain it all in one discography entry...

enaul

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 09:33:44 AM »
http://u2discography.free.fr/u2/php/radio.php

was quite complete for the first years until 2008

slaneman

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2014, 12:26:45 AM »
Thanks for posting that link, enaul. Very nice website.

I'm not a collector but I think those Red Rocks LPs might be kinda cool to have...   ;D

« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 08:31:39 AM by slaneman »