Author Topic: 25th Anniversary Goodies: Rattle and Hum.  (Read 2945 times)

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
    • http://www.u2wanderer.org
25th Anniversary Goodies: Rattle and Hum.
« on: October 25, 2013, 09:36:07 AM »
http://www.atu2blog.com/rattle-hum-treats-new-voices-freedom-sweetest-thing/

There's a link to the atu2 blog - Dennis Bell, the choir director of the New Voices of Freedom was recently interview, and has provided two tracks on his soundcloud.

One is a alternate version of "I Still Havent' Found" done with the choir.  It was a performance of the song from Arizona, overdubbed with vocals from the choir.  The other is a never released mix of "Sweetest Thing" by the choir, an alternate mix was used on the "Scrooged" soundtrack.  Interesting for a listen for sure.  :)

From Bell's commentary at Soundcloud:

"To celebrate the 25th anniversary of U2's Rattle & Hum (movie & soundtrack) here are two unreleased alternate versions of New Voices of Freedom's recordings of 2 U2 songs. The first (I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For)is an over-dub version to U2's version with Bob Marley's Exodus added to the end of the song. (We believe that U2 track came from their concert in Arizona). We were asked to overdub our arrangement onto the body of that rendition. When Dennis Bell (New Voices' music director) heard the Exodus tag, he became excited and arranged the additional unreleased ending with choir as a present to the band. Recorded during the Rattle & Hum recording session at NYC's Hit Factory(before movie's release).

The second is an unreleased mix of U2's "The Sweetest Thing" which Bono asked Dennis to arrange for New Voices of Freedom. Dennis visited the band while they were recording in LA and played the demo track for them. U2 & Jimmy Iovine, Rattle & Hum's producer, liked the demo so much they decided to put it on the soundtrack album of Bill Murray's movie "Scrooged". New Voices were joined by Jeff Porcaro & Steve Lukather from the great American Rock Band Toto, the keyboard/organ genius Billy Preston, Paulhino DaCosta world renowned percussionist with Dennis on Acoustic Piano. The Rhythm track was recorded in A&M's "We Are The World" studios in Hollywood and the Choir tracks at the Hit Factory in NYC. Dennis & his son Chris (who were co-producers of the track) were not happy with the mix and did this alternate re-mix which brings to light & the power of New Voices of Freedom. Unfortunately the weaker mix was placed on the soundtrack album."

slaneman

Re: 25th Anniversary Goodies: Rattle and Hum.
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, 05:52:52 PM »
Pretty cool ISHFWILF--  it's from Tempe, 1987-12-20, the final JT Tour show.

Interesting story I've never heard before about how the mix came about tho the live version is the keeper.

Will this Soundcloud mix be considered 'official'. ?