Author Topic: New U2 song: "Ordinary Love"  (Read 61033 times)

slaneman

Re: New U2 song: "Ordinary Love"
« Reply #60 on: November 28, 2013, 12:06:59 PM »
I had no problem getting 6 WAIE last time and kept 1 for myself and sold the rest at face value to friends in Europe, but this release will be more widely available outside the US so eventually everyone who wants one should be able to get one at a reasonable price. And this time they don't seem to be numbered, right? Plus having a DL code was a smart move.

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
    • http://www.u2wanderer.org
« Reply #61 on: November 28, 2013, 02:19:37 PM »
I got three extras last time, which I shared with the guys who work over at u2tour.de - they've helped out in a number of ways over the years with the site, and I was happy to make sure they could get a copy. 

I am hopeful the two pre-orders I made both come through - neither has been cancelled yet.  I take that as a good sign.  I'll also be going to my shop tomorrow am and trying to get there about an hour before it opens, just in case there's a crowd.  For WAIE they had six copies in total, so I'd like to actually have one in my hands tomorrow.

FAYF

« Reply #62 on: November 28, 2013, 06:07:41 PM »
I had no problem getting 6 WAIE last time and kept 1 for myself and sold the rest at face value to friends in Europe, but this release will be more widely available outside the US so eventually everyone who wants one should be able to get one at a reasonable price. And this time they don't seem to be numbered, right? Plus having a DL code was a smart move.

Whats "DL code" ??

One of the UK independant shops(on the list) says, it only has 5 copies available
http://www.banquetrecords.com/U2BF13
which I thought was quite small.

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
« Reply #63 on: November 28, 2013, 07:23:49 PM »
DL = Download.  It's a code you are able to use to go to a location on the internet and download the two tracks.  I'm hoping for a high quality download in there.  Arcade Fire's recent single came with a 320kbps download.

George

« Reply #64 on: November 29, 2013, 09:44:52 AM »
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh.  ;D

That is the sound of completing the purchase at the record store this morning.  I wish, for some of you, that I could have got more but there were limits to one copy per customer.

I saw some guy in front walking out with $350 worth of records, almost certainly all destined for eBay.  Nobody likes Gaga, Dylan, Nirvana, Miles Davis, and Billy Talent that much.

Strangely, and almost disappointingly, there were maybe 15 copies of the U2 record there, and from what I saw, I was the only one who picked it up.  Most everything else flew off the shelves within a few seconds.  What does this say about U2?

George

« Reply #65 on: November 29, 2013, 10:03:12 AM »
Also, I'm a bit disappointed (but not surprised) with the download.  I really wanted to get FLAC versions of the tracks, but instead they're "only" 320kbps mp3s.

I'm not totally sure about this new Breathe version.

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
« Reply #66 on: November 29, 2013, 10:42:09 AM »
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh.  ;D

That is the sound of completing the purchase at the record store this morning.  I wish, for some of you, that I could have got more but there were limits to one copy per customer.

I saw some guy in front walking out with $350 worth of records, almost certainly all destined for eBay.  Nobody likes Gaga, Dylan, Nirvana, Miles Davis, and Billy Talent that much.

Strangely, and almost disappointingly, there were maybe 15 copies of the U2 record there, and from what I saw, I was the only one who picked it up.  Most everything else flew off the shelves within a few seconds.  What does this say about U2?

The same thing happened here.  Lots of copies of U2 and no one seemed interested in it.  I was able to pick up a couple of extra (there was a limit) but they are spoken for at the moment.  If you got stuck without a copy, please drop me an email at aaron@u2wanderer.org and if someone doesn't need the one I picked up for them i'll see about helping you out.  :) 

320kbps isn't too bad.  I was hoping for a FLAC option as well.  Oh well.  Better this than 128.  :)  I expected the 320 to be honest, that's what Arcade Fire has been doing their singles at lately when you buy the vinyl.

Not loving the new version of Breathe either.  Now I'm wishing it was the one from the documentary.  :(  This one almost sounds like the early version of "Silver and Gold" in some ways...

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
« Reply #67 on: November 29, 2013, 10:55:53 AM »
Still in line here. No one here has expressed any interest in U2.

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
« Reply #68 on: November 29, 2013, 11:16:02 AM »
The guy in front of me asked me if he would have ever heard anything U2 ever did - he didn't know them at all. 29 years old...I named some titles and he just looked at me blankly. He was there for Nirvana and Billy Talent.

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
« Reply #69 on: November 29, 2013, 12:43:45 PM »
They only allowed one copy per customer, but I got it.  ;D

My local shop had three copies, and I think the other two were still sitting in the bin when I left. There was actually more interest in The Grinch than there was in U2.

ETA: Agree with Aaron this version of Breathe is pretty throwaway. Would probably have preferred the full version from the Mandela documentary.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 12:54:41 PM by Brad »

slaneman

« Reply #70 on: November 29, 2013, 06:44:53 PM »
but this release will be more widely available outside the US so eventually everyone who wants one should be able to get one at a reasonable price.

I would like to officially eat my own words based on what I experienced and many other stories I've read on other sites. In the metropolitan DC, MD, VA area, not exactly podunk USA as far as population, just a handful were available. One store was trying to get 49.95 per copy. Many others in other areas were charging 35 bucks.
There are what, 150 of them on Ebay now? I guess for any 'limited' release that's the new norm. Just grit the teeth and save time, pay the bucks. If you gotta get it.
Many record store owners, and the RSD operation itself, are alienating customers. Can't blame McGuinness for this. 
Thank God I'm not a U2 collector.

u2expert

« Reply #71 on: November 29, 2013, 10:26:40 PM »
Went to two stores, first store had 3 copies for $24.00 (incl. tax) one per customer. Second store had 8 copies for $16.90 (incl. tax) and they let me buy two after I dazzled them with my U2 knowledge, experiences and collection. Now that I think about it, they probably just felt sad for me. :-[

Cheers,
u2expert

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
« Reply #72 on: November 29, 2013, 11:05:40 PM »
Sadly, they were probably happy to unload them.  :'(

George

« Reply #73 on: November 30, 2013, 10:01:51 AM »
The records were fairly priced here at $10.99.

enaul

« Reply #74 on: November 30, 2013, 11:00:36 AM »
Not loving the new version of Breathe either.  Now I'm wishing it was the one from the documentary.  :(  This one almost sounds like the early version of "Silver and Gold" in some ways...
Strangely enough i like this "Breathe" more than any live version or the album version. Perhaps because i like the 1st Silver And Gold more than the later versions.

I'm thrilled to have the 10 inch within a few weeks from North America thanks to someone ... It look like Europe (except UK and Eire) will not receive any copies.

I received a mail that today (Saturday) there will be a link in my U2.com profile to a mp3 of Ordinary Love.