Author Topic: Sort of Related: Pop Muzik - The Remix Album.  (Read 3261 times)

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
    • http://www.u2wanderer.org
Sort of Related: Pop Muzik - The Remix Album.
« on: June 10, 2013, 07:37:01 AM »
Looking through iTunes UK to see if there was anything new up I noticed the following:

Pop Muzik: The Remix Album by M
Released: September 27, 2009
Union Square Music Ltd.

As far as I can find out, the album was download only but offered through a number of outlets.  The interesting thing is that the album contains three remixes of M's Pop Muzik that were commissioned by U2 for use on the PopMart tour.  Of the three, it was the "Steve Osbourne" remix that was used to open the shows, and that U2 eventually recorded their own version of.  The version here is the same mix of the song, but recorded by M.  The other two remixes that are listed as commissioned for U2 are the "Dub Pistols / U2 Remix" and the "Junior Vasquez / U2 Remix".  The press releases from Union Square claim that these three remixes were commissioned by U2. It was offered for download on unionsquaremusic.co.uk, amazon UK, iTunes UK, deezer, virginmega, 7digital etc.

Delving further I found some evidence that the three remixes of "Pop Muzik" were almost released as a single back at the end of the PopMart tour, with plans to tie the single into the tour.  Whatever the case, the single release didn't happen, and to my knowledge this is the first time these particular remixes have appeared.

It's not a U2 recording, but a U2 related one, so I thought I'd point it out for those that want to dig some more...

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
Re: Sort of Related: Pop Muzik - The Remix Album.
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 08:57:51 PM »
I have that EBN EP from 1992, so I figure I need this too.  ::)

I found a CD-R promo copy at a shop in Manchester. Just ordered.

Curiously, it looks like a remix album was released in the US around the same time, but with totally different mixes.  :o

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 12:08:56 PM »

Curiously, it looks like a remix album was released in the US around the same time, but with totally different mixes.  :o

Hahaha.  Now I need that EBN EP as well.  You and I are bad for each other...

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 12:46:27 PM »

I heard back from the place I was going to buy it on Musicstack.  It appears the only copy they had in stock was sold to someone directly through their website and they'd be unable to fill my order.  Thanks Brad  :P

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 09:17:10 PM »
What a coincidence. I just received a shipping notification yesterday.  8)