Author Topic: Dream Fan Club Releases.  (Read 4330 times)

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
    • http://www.u2wanderer.org
Dream Fan Club Releases.
« on: April 18, 2013, 11:46:57 AM »
I did the latest article in the "U2 Lists" series over at atu2.com:
http://www.atu2.com/news/u2-lists-top-7-dream-fan-club-releases.html

My suggestions for seven fan club releases I'd really love to see. I wanted to come up with my own, so I saved discussion of this until after the article was published.  But what would you guys like to see from the fan club?  We've had a metal key chain.  We had a CD-ROM. We've had several audio CDs. We've had a book.  What kind of CDs would you like to see in the future?  What type of other things might you like to see other than another CD?

Aaron

morgan1098

Re: Dream Fan Club Releases.
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 12:26:24 PM »
Excellent article!  I would like to keep receiving CDs from the fan club, as long as the content is good.  I'm not really interested in posters, signed stuff, key chains, and other trinkets that some fan clubs offer.

I agree with pretty much all of your picks... I'd love Clockwork Orange, Songs of Ascent, Passengers 2, and some great live stuff.  A Bono version of "The Wanderer" has been on my wish list for years.  I LOVE the band version from the Johnny Cash tribute concert (you can download the audio from U2Start).

Demos and session outtakes would also be great... not just from the early years, but from the recent albums as well.  Even just alternate versions of album tracks, similar to the Kindergarten disc in the AB boxed set.  I love that one.  For example, it would be great to hear the early versions of HMTMKMKM and Wake Up Dead Man that were originally intended for Zooropa.

As for live material, I think the U2360 CDs have set the standard.  I'd like to see them do something similar with each tour they've done.  Rather than releasing a full concert, I'd like 2CD versions of the highlights, the best performances in different cities, from each tour.  I'm sure these could be assembled fairly easily from tours going all the way back to the TUF era, and maybe even earlier.

And I know I'm in the minority here, but I wouldn't mind another remix album--if done right. I think Artificial Horizon was great for what it was, even though some of it was previously released.  With the right track list and sequencing, and the right remixers, I think another good U2 remix CD would be possible.

One thing I DON'T want: an updated/re-recorded/"finished" Pop album.  Thankfully the band seems to have abandoned this idea over the past decade or so.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 12:29:53 PM by morgan1098 »

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
    • http://www.u2wanderer.org
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 01:43:30 PM »
One thing I DON'T want: an updated/re-recorded/"finished" Pop album.  Thankfully the band seems to have abandoned this idea over the past decade or so.

It was on my early list as I was writing the article, and I decided I really don't want it.  I think I stopped wanting it when they did all those tweaks for "The Best of 1990 - 2000".  I just didn't like it.

I'd be happy with a well done remix album.  But I'd appreciate it if they went out and gave the stems fresh to some remixers who are current and let them play with and come up with something entirely new, instead of just re-releasing older mixes.

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 04:00:19 PM »
7" of Pete the Chop b/w The Dream is Over

morgan1098

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 04:25:13 PM »
7" of Pete the Chop b/w The Dream is Over

Not to derail the thread, but this mention of vinyl makes me wonder, WHY DOESN'T U2 DO MORE RELEASES FOR RECORD STORE DAY?  After WAIE (which wasn't really for the actual RSD anyway, but rather a "second RSD" scheduled that year), I expected to see some sort of U2 vinyl or even CD release every Record Store Day.  But I guess it's not to be.  :(

George

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2013, 12:20:30 PM »
I'd like to see a release with all the vinyl-only promo (and non-promo) remixes.  Many of them are really good.
 - Australian unique mixes from The Unforgettable Fire 12"
 - Desire 9:23
 - the two unique 3-D Dance Mixes
 - some Lemon mixes (for the completist in me)
 - Mofo Explicit Mix
 - City of Blinding Lights mixes
And some unreleased but commissioned mixes:
 - Daddy's Gonna Pay... Perfecto remix
 - Miracle Drug mixes
 - Alex Metric's Crazy remix

On another release, I'd like to see a whole bunch of outtakes.  It'd be like the "Rare" part of Rare, Medium, and Remastered, except none of the tracks would have ever been previously released.

These are my dreams.

dagobah

• exploring nature in Yellowstone/Grand Teton
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2013, 01:52:10 AM »
I'd like to see a release with all the vinyl-only promo (and non-promo) remixes.  Many of them are really good.
 - Australian unique mixes from The Unforgettable Fire 12"
 - Desire 9:23
 - the two unique 3-D Dance Mixes
 - some Lemon mixes (for the completist in me)
 - Mofo Explicit Mix
 - City of Blinding Lights mixes
And some unreleased but commissioned mixes:
 - Daddy's Gonna Pay... Perfecto remix
 - Miracle Drug mixes
 - Alex Metric's Crazy remix
All those sound interesting.  I agree with you.