Author Topic: U218 - "Regular" Special Edition CD vs. "Deluxe" Special Edition  (Read 8313 times)

osullic

Hi All,

The "Deluxe" Special Edition release of the U218 CD includes a 48-page booklet of lyrics and photos. Is this booklet very different to the inlay card that comes with the "regular" Special Edition of U218? If so, could someone give me an idea of what's in the booklet? (Is there any overlap with the 'U2 by U2' book?)

I'm not really interested in the bonus DVD that comes with the Deluxe Special Edition, and this 48-page booklet just has me curious - it's the only reason for me to choose the Deluxe edition over the standard Special Edition.

Thanks for all replies!

santiago2u

• starchitect...then, father!
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 01:52:51 PM »
::: It has the lyrics and the photography of each single, it's a must have, though the Bonus Concert it's incomplete I bought an USA edition with sticker and the Mex Deluxe.

dagobah

• exploring nature in Yellowstone/Grand Teton
Re: U218 - "Regular" Special Edition CD vs. "Deluxe" Special Edition
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 08:52:01 PM »
I realize things are pretty quiet here on the forum.  Maybe someone who is checking in occasionally can help me with a few basic questions.  No rush or anything . . . .

I was checking different sources to confirm info about these U2 releases:
U218 Singles CD release
U218 Singles CD + DVD release
U218 Videos DVD release
I have the U218 Videos DVD release, but I never bought either of the other 2 releases.

Does anyone here on the forum have the U218 Singles CD + DVD release?
I think I am going to buy it so that I can own the DVD and watch it whenever I want.

On the DVD, did you enjoy watching U2 perform on July 21, 2005 in Milan, Italy?
With only 10 song performances on the DVD, is there a bunch of unused digital capacity on it?
Has anyone found any Easter Eggs on the DVD?    ;D
How is it packaged?  Is it a two-disc plastic jewel case or something else?

osullic

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 05:03:24 AM »
You can see the CD+DVD edition here:
http://www.u2tour.de/specials/U218Singles/

As for Easter Eggs, I don't know for sure (I don't have the CD+DVD edition), but I imagine if there were any, you'd find out easily through a web search. If you don't easily find any info about Easter Eggs, you can probably assume there are none. It wouldn't be the first DVD to not use the full capacity.
There's nothing listed in terms of Easter Eggs here:
http://www.discogs.com/U2-18-Singles/release/837280
http://www.discogs.com/U2-18-Singles/release/1560470
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 05:05:05 AM by osullic »

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
    • http://www.u2wanderer.org
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 11:03:38 AM »
I realize things are pretty quiet here on the forum.  Maybe someone who is checking in occasionally can help me with a few basic questions.  No rush or anything . . . .

I was checking different sources to confirm info about these U2 releases:
U218 Singles CD release
U218 Singles CD + DVD release
U218 Videos DVD release
I have the U218 Videos DVD release, but I never bought either of the other 2 releases.

Does anyone here on the forum have the U218 Singles CD + DVD release?
I think I am going to buy it so that I can own the DVD and watch it whenever I want.

On the DVD, did you enjoy watching U2 perform on July 21, 2005 in Milan, Italy?
With only 10 song performances on the DVD, is there a bunch of unused digital capacity on it?
Has anyone found any Easter Eggs on the DVD?    ;D
How is it packaged?  Is it a two-disc plastic jewel case or something else?

The deluxe version with CD and DVD is packaged in a hardcover book in the US / Canada.  The CDs however are not stored in the front and back cover as they are in the deluxe remasters, but there is a plastic insert glued to the back cover which holds both discs.  The book has much the same information as the CD insert on the single jewel case version of the CD.  The whole package is bigger than a CD jewel case.  The book is pretty much the same size as a DVD case you would find on most movie releases in North America.

I'm pretty sure there were no easter eggs on the Milan performance DVD.  I also don't remember on the 18 Videos DVD, but don't hold me to that.  I'll double check my list when I get home.  We are planning on listing any easter eggs when we get around to the videography on the site...I've been keeping track in a file at home...

dagobah

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 03:22:58 PM »
Thanks very much, Aaron.   ;D

slaneman

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2013, 07:59:49 PM »
dagobah, it's only 12.99 new on Amazon right now---well worth it

The Milan concert is short but the audio and video quality is quite good. Bono seemed quite...umm..relaxed. The Italian fans are great, there's a nice version OOTS with a string ensemble so it's a nice bonus to the CD and booklet, which in itself is quite worth that price.

dagobah

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2013, 01:40:03 AM »
slaneman . . . . . yeah, I saw that on Amazon.com . . . . . . . . but it's $12.99 plus the $2.98 for shipping because it's a new item being sold by an Amazon Marketplace Seller.  As you probably know, Marketplace Sellers charge shipping even if the total Amazon order is $25 or more.

Also, I am usually reluctant to buy from Amazon Marketplace Sellers for a variety of reasons.  In this case, it feels risky because . . . . . . I can see them making the mistake of sending me the 1-CD version of U218 Singles rather than the CD/DVD Limited Edition.  And if that did happen, I would then have to deal return shipping and trying to get my money back.  It's a good price, but I'm going to think about it for a few days.

Thanks for the feedback, guys.  I really appreciate it.   :)