Author Topic: Videography Help: What's missing?  (Read 6907 times)

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
    • http://www.u2wanderer.org
Videography Help: What's missing?
« on: October 16, 2012, 08:35:15 AM »
Looking for a little help with the videography section of the new site.  Specifically on the COMMERCIAL video releases which contain some U2 content.  Not worried about the U2 concert videos, or the video singles such as "Numb" and the like.  Think I have a pretty good handle on those.  Also not looking at promotional releases such as stuff intended for video promotion on mtv and the like.  Looking for actual commercial releases that could be bought in stores, that contains U2.  And not looking for movies with U2 in the soundtrack unless A) U2 are in the movie ala Entropy or B) The actual promotional video by U2 is included ala Tomb Raider.

The list below is what I currently have here beside me to work on.  Can anyone add more?  If you are adding a title let me know what type of content is on it.  Is it a performance? If so what songs?  Is it a promotional video?  Which one?  Is it Bono talking about ABBA?  Does he sing or is it just an interview clip? 

25 Years of Saturday Night Live: The Music (includes a U2 performance)
46664: The Event (Contains several u2 songs)
Across the Universe (Movie with Bono in it.)
A Very Special Christmas DVD (Contains Christmas video)
Alright Now: Island Records 25th Anniversary (Video for WOWY I think)
Bringing it All Back Home (U2 solo bits)
City of Angels Movie (Video for IGWSHA)
Classic Albums: The Joshua Tree
Do They Know it's Christmas: The Story of Band Aid
Dublin Special Olympics Video (Live U2 material)
Entourage Season Two (Live U2 footage)
Entropy Movie (performance and acting)
Folkways: A Vision Shared
Gangs of New York DVD
It Might Get Loud
Live 8 Video
Live Aid Video
Man on a Train (DVD with Larry Mullen)
Mick Jagger: Being Mick
Million Dollar Hotel (DVD with Bono)
MTV Rock: Video Music Awards
President Obama Inaugeration Video
Red, Hot and Blue
RTE Late Late Show tribute to the Dubliners
Shelter from the Storm DVD
Sound and Vision: The Influence of Irish Music (Same as Bringing it all back home)
Spectacle: Elvis Costello with... (Season Two)
Stop Sellafield
The Old Grey Whistle Test TV
The Simpsons Trash of the Titans VHS
The Simpsons Season 9
Tomb Raider DVD (Elevation music Video)
Video Aid
We Know Where You Live Live! (Secret Policemans Ball)
Work of Director Anton Corbijn
Work of Director Stephan Sedouinai

God, Part II

Re: Videography Help: What's missing?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 05:36:33 PM »
Rock and Roll Hall of Fame + Museum Live (there's also a Best Buy Exclusive Edition with an additional disc, but there's no U2 content featured on that extra disc)

The 25th Anniversary Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Concerts (with several U2 performances)

Playing for Change: Songs Around the World (CD/DVD combo; Bono features in video for "War/No More Trouble")

U2 Live From Rockpalast 1983 (pressed DVD actually released for an extremely short window to legitimate retailers--I bought mine at Best Buy; pulled within days of release under threat of being sued by U2's management, due to the studio not getting the band's permission to release it...I'll leave it to you to decide if that makes it a bootleg or not)

America: A Tribute to Heroes (contains astonishing live performance of "Walk On")

Make Poverty History: The Concert (released in Australia, featuring Bono and Edge performing "Rockin' in the Free World" live with Pearl Jam)

Patriots: Super Bowl XXXVI Champions (contains U2's famous halftime show)

From the Sky Down (official making of "Achtung Baby")

The Sunday Times: U2 Exclusive CD! (released in the UK, featuring a DVD-ROM video of the band performing "Don't Take Your Guns to Town")

Music of Ireland: Welcome Home (CD/DVD combo sold exclusively at Barnes and Noble, featuring interviews and performances from the band)

Music of Ireland, Part Two: Welcome to America (CD/DVD combo sold exclusively at Barnes and Noble, featuring interviews and performances from the band)

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 06:48:54 AM »
Thanks so much.  I knew about most of those and indeed have a bunch around the house.  This is the type of stuff I'm looking for.  :)

As for the Live from Rockpalast video, I've got a copy and i'm thinking it needs to be included.  As well as the streaming material from Wolfgang's vault in some way...maybe a pseudo-official category.  There's stuff like that in the discography too that's on the edge of legitimacy - Oakenfold's Beautiful Day white label, and the white label of "New Day" by Wyclef and Bono have already made it into the system...

The one thing I'm not aware about (not having a Barnes and Noble nearby is the content on the Music of Ireland DVDs.  I'll have to look for more info on those...

George

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 01:15:58 PM »
As for the Live from Rockpalast video, I've got a copy and i'm thinking it needs to be included.  As well as the streaming material from Wolfgang's vault in some way...maybe a pseudo-official category.  There's stuff like that in the discography too that's on the edge of legitimacy - Oakenfold's Beautiful Day white label, and the white label of "New Day" by Wyclef and Bono have already made it into the system...

I certainly think that the Rockpalast video should be included - it was commercially / legally available at one point.  I think it's just like any other withdrawn release (like the UABRS releases that have the Send In The Clowns snippet).

It's funny that you mention the Wolfgang's Vault material right now.  That's exactly why I just logged in.  I think that anything that is made to be downloaded should be considered an official release, so this includes and material on U2.com that actually has a download link.  Conversely, the material that is available online that is not explicitly made available for download should be categorized differently.  I would group the streaming content (Wolfgang's Vault, YouTube, InContention, U2.com, etc.) in the same category as radio and TV broadcasts.  These streams are being broadcast on the Internet, satellite, cable, television, or radio waves, and they can all be captured in some form by the receivers (us).  However, they are not intended to be captured, but rather just listened to and/or watched.

On a side note, InContention.com has now been taken over by HitFix.com and the old link to the stream of Winter is no longer valid.  http://67.20.55.118/2009/12/07/listen-to-u2s-winter-from-brothers/ is the new way to go, though who knows how long that will be available?

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 02:29:35 PM »
I'm not adverse to including such things.  The relaunched site will track streaming material from u2.com as well (thanks for the info on that thread on here it was easy to track the info down).  It's already built into the audio discography, and entries are done for things like "Three Tracks from Glastonbury" and will be there when the site re-launches. (and it is getting closer. much closer.)  i'm looking at the official channels on youtube as well (Vevo, u2official etc) on the video side.

The scope of tracking what's been 'released' has changed.  And this should hopefully fix up some areas we missed the last time around.

Incontention.com?  That was the stream of "Winter".  As far as I've been able to find out, that wasn't an official 'release' of the song, and that someone had taken the "For your consideration" CD and had made an mp3 and posted it.  I'll have to check more carefully on that one.  I'm trying to avoid listing fan made remixes, rips, bootleg recordings, and so on.  Wolfgang's Vault is from Bill Graham's old collection, and the material is wide ranging and likely posted there with the ok of the band, if not the actual ok of the label.  I'd love to capture everything but know it's more than i could ever bite off, so happy to draw a line on the official stuff, and include some of the more legitimate side stuff.  One thing I always had difficulty with was radio shows, but there's certainly a desire so am looking into the ones made available through networks like Westwood 1, or the more recent "Three Nights" stuff done in 2009.  Just want to make it fit with everything else so people who don't want to see it can grab what they always wanted, without being hit with a deluge of download and streaming stuff.

The difference between the Rockpalast video as a withdrawn video and the withdrawn UABRS? One was issued by Island with U2's blessing. The other wasn't put out by the label and the band didn't give a thumbs up to it.  That was the criteria I used for the old discography - was it issued by Island / Universal / Interscope? Or did it come from some third party non-lable entity.  Over time that's been made difficult with the introduction of much digital material, even such things as u2.com sending out "Amazing Grace" for a download at Christmas, the RedWire release, etc. It's all broken my old "System" of saying yes and no. 

So it'll all be up for consideration.  But I gotta finish off the more 'official' releases first.  :)

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 03:27:40 PM »
I think most of my DVDs are still boxed up from my last move or I'd go through them all.  :P

The only thing I can think of off hand is the "Greatest Irish Bands" compilation CD that came packaged with a DVD of the "Sightings of Bono" short film. Bono "acts" in that.

There's also that "Very Best of The Tube" CD that came with a crappy Quicktime video of a live performance of NYD. I think that's already in the disco.

That Rockpalast concert was available on Comcast On Demand about the same time the DVD was released, though I'm not sure that makes it any more legitimate.

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 04:48:22 PM »
I'll add a few more now that i'm home.  Some of the odds and ends U2 has been involved in.

"Roy Orbison: Greatest Hits" features the video for Mystery Girl.
"Bruno" the film has that awful "Dove of Peace" featuring Bono
"Tony Bennett: The Making of Duets" features Bono recording his bits.
"The Best of Bond...James Bond" 2008 edition came with a limited DVD edition, featuring the actual music video for "Goldeneye"

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2012, 05:11:44 PM »
I don't recall that there have been a lot of things streamed on U2.com that didn't eventually show up on some sort of physical release, though some of them promo only. Most of their video clips aren't even complete performances. Those three Glasto tracks are the only thing I can think of off the top of my head.

cleaner

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2012, 10:28:41 AM »
Sun City VHS (includes The Sun City video and a documentary of the making of)
Lennon A Tribute VHS (includes U2 Live performance of Help)
Clannad: Pastpresent VHS (incl. In a lifetime)
Daniel Lanois Rocky world VHS (incl. ISHFWILF with U2)
From a whsiper to a scream DVD (incl. Street mission)
Pavarotti & Friends for the children of Bosnia DVD
Top of the pops Summer 2001 (German DVD, incl. SIAMYCGOO Live performance 2.11.2000 and New Year's Dub original video)
Daniel Lanois Here is what is DVD (incl. short clip with Bono singing unreleased song "Tripoli")
Kylie Minogue White diamond (incl. Bono in Duet with KM "Kids")
Bukowski Born into this DVD (incl. 2 poems recitited by Bono and interview)

morgan1098

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2012, 08:41:05 AM »

The difference between the Rockpalast video as a withdrawn video and the withdrawn UABRS? One was issued by Island with U2's blessing. The other wasn't put out by the label and the band didn't give a thumbs up to it.  That was the criteria I used for the old discography - was it issued by Island / Universal / Interscope? Or did it come from some third party non-lable entity.  Over time that's been made difficult with the introduction of much digital material, even such things as u2.com sending out "Amazing Grace" for a download at Christmas, the RedWire release, etc. It's all broken my old "System" of saying yes and no. 

The Rockaplast video is a strange one.  Certainly the DVD wasn't released with U2's blessing, but the original performance was filmed/produced with their blessing for a TV broadcast.  So it still seems semi-official somehow.  Oh, and there is still a copy of this on the shelf at my local Best Buy.  Apparently they didn't get the "withdraw" memo.  :)  After reading this thread I think I'll go pick it up for posterity.

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2012, 10:34:39 PM »
I went through my DVDs. The only one I found that hasn't already been mentioned is "Pavarotti: The Duets," which has the live performance of Miss Sarajevo.

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2012, 06:33:07 AM »
Thanks everyone.  I'll be doing up a list of everything for the videography at the new site now that the discography is nearing completion.  Your help is greatly appreciated. 

miryclay

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2012, 06:14:22 PM »
are you going to launch the site in what the bible calls, ordinary time?

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2012, 02:09:03 PM »
The movie "Bloody Sunday" had a live version of "Sunday Bloody Sunday" at the end of the movie, which was not released on any soundtrack album...

George

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2012, 08:33:14 PM »
The movie "Bloody Sunday" had a live version of "Sunday Bloody Sunday" at the end of the movie, which was not released on any soundtrack album...

Is it a full version or edited?