Author Topic: New Book Release: From the Ground Up.  (Read 7899 times)

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
    • http://www.u2wanderer.org
Re: New Book Release: From the Ground Up.
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2012, 09:20:21 AM »
The book has already been released in Europe at this point. You can buy it in book shops and on amazon.co.uk - so there's video because people can buy it. This wasnt a copy delivered as part of a u2.com subscription, its the book as it is offered for sale in shops...The North American release appears to be November 27th. They've just started promotional efforts and I have a review copy on its way...

What I find strange is U2.com hasn't mentioned anything more about this subscription offer. You think they would form that up before the book went on sale in shops!!

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2012, 06:46:00 AM »
http://www.atu2.com/news/book-review-from-the-ground-up.html

My review of the book for atu2.com - I had an early promotional copy - the book still hasn't been released here in North America, but is due towards the end of the month according to Amazon (November 27th).

U2.com sent out a cryptic email about it saying the book would be part of the next subscriber package, and to look for more information in October - hehe.  It's November now and still no further information, and the book is out throughout Europe now...wonder when they'll get around to explaining what they have planned for this year coming...

morgan1098

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2012, 10:46:49 AM »

U2.com sent out a cryptic email about it saying the book would be part of the next subscriber package, and to look for more information in October - hehe.  It's November now and still no further information, and the book is out throughout Europe now...wonder when they'll get around to explaining what they have planned for this year coming...

Yeah, how does that work?  Last year was my first year subscribing to U2.com.  I got an e-mail recently that said I need to re-subscribe by November 20 if I want to get the $40 renewal rate.  But if I do that (assuming they haven't officially announced the book offer by then), won't I just get another copy of U22 instead of the book?  :(

dagobah

• exploring nature in Yellowstone/Grand Teton
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2012, 07:21:50 PM »
Well, I deleted my original reply (in this topic) because I just found the information in the new topic Aaron started about the new U2.com Subscription Package.

Thanks for the updated info, Aaron, all of it sounds great.  I will definitely be renewing my current U2.com subscription, but I'm going to wait until next week.  By then, maybe some of the website traffic will have died down and Internet communications might go smoother.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 07:34:46 PM by dagobah »

dagobah

• exploring nature in Yellowstone/Grand Teton
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2012, 08:55:02 PM »
Aaron, I just read your review of the book From The Ground Up.  Great read!  Not only was it detailed, it was very interesting.  Thanks for the effort, Aaron.

Quotes from your review:
"I just wish that the photographs in this book were individually labeled to allow the reader to know where the photographs were taken. Only a handful of photos are labeled in this manner; the rest you are left to guess at where they were taken."
My comment:  That sucks.  Photographers (and their publishers) are lazy when they do this.

"I felt the overall coverage of the tour was too heavily weighed toward only a handful of shows."
My comment:  This is disappointing.

"The book has a few factual problems."
My comment:  In my opinion, this is unacceptable.  For the items you listed . . . . . those are the kinds of things that editors get paid big bucks for.

As far as I'm concerned, they should have published three copies, sent them to Aaron/Brad/Trevor, waited until you three proof-read them, listened to your constructive feedback, edited the book, fixed any errors and then finally . . . . . . sent the corrected manuscript to the printer.

I'll live without a comprehensive book.  The only reason I'm renewing my subscription is to get more live tracks anyways.

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2012, 02:56:47 PM »
Glad you enjoyed the review.  I tried to be as even keeled as i could.  In one hand it's really an exciting book, and being able to go through it and see all those photos brought back such wonderful memories.  I really enjoyed the parts focused on the crew.

But yeah, it felt like 2010 was missing.  Those new songs getting broken out each night?  "Mercy", "Every Breaking Wave", and so on, that was such a special part of the tour that i felt it deserved some mention.  Instead it seemed that the tour went from "NLOTH" tour to "Achtung Baby" tour, with way too much time spent on Glastonbury which I personally would have considered outside the tour, even if it did have a huge impact on the setlist from that point forward....