Author Topic: Angel Of Harlem Album vs. Single  (Read 3235 times)

slaneman

Angel Of Harlem Album vs. Single
« on: November 19, 2011, 07:38:06 PM »
Now the difference between the album and single versions of "Angel of Harlem"?  That's the one that I can't figure out at all...

Spooky you mentioned this just as I was starting to do the lyrics for the single mix for the new site. They are very, very similar is my first impression and I'll try to make some notes if I find anything.

Trevor

Re: Angel Of Harlem Album vs. Single
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 05:27:11 AM »
I think the big difference between the 2 versions is a long fade out in the album version... if you do not count the silence at the beginning and end of the tracks, there is nearly 6 seconds of extra music... besides the very little different mix as noted in the discography entry...
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 05:31:26 AM by Trevor »

slaneman

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 08:12:39 AM »
Everything Trevor said are the major differences, plus

Album     :42—starting with ‘soul love’ you can hear Edge singing in right channel then B sings ‘so long, Angel of Harlem' solo

Single Mix  :42 ----starting with ‘soul love’ there is a background voice (sounds like Bono) softly doubling Bono all the way through ‘so long, Angel of Harlem’

This is done the same way for the repeat of this verse.

The shorter fade out on the single version cuts off a tiny bit of Bono's ad lib.

Even so, they're really alike.

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
    • http://www.u2wanderer.org
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 08:42:05 AM »
Wow I'm impressed.  You should note this in the "other notes" section of the remix when you do up the lyrics for the relaunch.  :)  That way we don't ask the same question five years from now.  :)

God, Part II

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 01:42:14 PM »
Huh.  Well, now I know.  Thanks.   ;D

miryclay

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 01:55:46 PM »
I have a vague recollection of this. I would bet that the single version is on the Best OF 80-90.