Author Topic: 'U22' - The Ultimate U2360° Setlist  (Read 44155 times)

hmtmkmkm

'U22' - The Ultimate U2360° Setlist
« on: October 24, 2011, 09:54:40 PM »
http://www.u2.com/news/title/u22-the-ultimate-u2360-setlist

Excited by this. I think this goes a long way to rectifying the debacle that was the U2 Duals subscriber offer. Although my recent re-subscription might not entitle me to this new one. This is also a chance for myself (and others) to shamelessly show off my perfect live setlist and see what others think of it.

Personally I think most people just pick their favourite 22 songs out of the possible 46, which I think is a mistake. I modeled my choices based on how the band structured their setlists throughout the tour. For example, they always wanted the Crazy Tonight Remix in the middle, they always had either Even Better, Return Of The Stingray Guitar, Soon, Breathe at the start, always had Hold Me, With Or Without You, Ultraviolet, Moment Of Surrender in the final encore and neither of those were moved out of their positions. And there was a healthy mix of songs that led into City Of Blinding Lights, where most people can take license as to what goes in there. To me, there's no point picking just the best 22 songs and then not having one that they would open the show with, or close the show with. The best way, in my view, would be to pick the best 22 that could still actually closely resemble a setlist that appeared on the tour. I also think there's some obligation to put a reasonable amount of songs from the Horizon album, not to say that either of mine were reluctant choices. And I was disappointed Mercy and North Star weren't possibilities, but I assume it's because their performances were very raw and the band may not be happy with their final recordings. Hence my final list was:

1) Even Better Than The Real Thing; 2) Beautiful Day; 3) I Will Follow; 4) Get On Your Boots; 5) Magnificent; 6) Until The End Of The World; 7) New Year's Day; 8 ) Unknown Caller; 9) Unforgettable Fire; 10) Zooropa; 11) City Of Blinding Lights; 12) Vertigo; 13) I'll Go Crazy Remix; 14) Sunday Bloody Sunday; 15) Pride; 16) Scarlet; 17) Bad; 18) Where The Streets Have No Name; 19) One; 20) Hold Me, Thrill Me; 21) Ultraviolet; 22) Moment Of Surrender

The reinvention of The Real Thing just pipped Stingray Guitar and Breathe didn't feel like a U2 song. I couldn't stand to leave New Year's Day out – it probably just squeezed Still Haven't Found out of the list, only because on this tour, the crowd sang the song more than the band did, which doesn't make much sense for this kind of album. Zooropa was a must. And the combo of Unknown Caller/Unforgettable Fire is, I think, far superior to In A Little While/Miss Sarajevo leading into Blinding Lights/Vertigo. I think MLK was awesome but it's been in the same role for a long time and it was amazing to see Scarlet take that place. Bad stole Walk On's cemented spot, only because I couldn't fit it in anywhere else, and it's traditionally been an excellent lead in to Streets, also allowing for a snippet of All I Want Is You and many others. I couldn't choose between Hold Me/Ultraviolet so I've kept both and hoped that Ultraviolet can play the same role that With Or Without You played on the tour, but I'm not overly impressed with the choice. And the fixtures are there because they are exactly that – fixtures. You can't put Crazy Tonight anywhere else and certainly can't take it out or it wouldn't be a U2360 show. Same with Moment Of Surrender. But the good thing is songs from Track 2-10 could so easily be shuffled around, a lot of them even replaced, if one wished. Again, this is all completely subjective, but I'd be interested to hear other opinions.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 07:45:31 AM by hmtmkmkm »

bobni

Re: 'U22' - The Ultimate U2360° Setlist
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 06:41:33 AM »
Finally, an album for fans made by fans.
I must say, hmtmkmkm, your picks are a great representation of the 360 Tour and form a brilliant setlist.

My personal selection wasn't based on a setlist, but more on songs that haven't appeared on cd (as a live version that is) so far. That's why I chose:

Breathe
Electrical Storm
Get On Your Boots
Magnificent
Miss Sarajevo
Moment Of Surrender
Mothers Of The Disappeared
No Line On The Horizon
One Tree Hill
Return Of The Stingray Guitar
Scarlet
Spanish Eyes
The Unforgettable Fire
Ultra Violet
Unknown Caller
Your Blue Room
Zooropa

The other 6 tracks are personal favourites from which I'd love to have the 360 Versions on CD:
Even Better Than The Real Thing (Remix, sort of...)
Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me
Mysterious Ways
Out Of Control
The Fly

Of course New Year's Day, Where The Streets Have No Name, Sunday Bloody Sunday, One, Beautiful Day etc. are standout tracks. It's just that they have been released on either a commercial album (Under a Blood Red Sky, Rattle And Hum) a fanclub release (Communication, Zoo TV, Go Home, Artificial Horizon) or various cd-singles.

Unfortunately the new songs aren't available to choose from (North Star and Mercy).
Still, having Mercy on Wide Awake In Europe makes owning that EP even more special now that the song doesn't become available on this compilation.

Just my thoughts...
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 08:07:14 AM by bobni »

morgan1098

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 08:02:44 AM »
For the first time ever, I'm considering subscribing to U2.com.  This is an awesome idea.  Like bobni, I'd favor songs that haven't been on CD before, and then add some favorites.  Maybe something like this (these are just random selections, not in any coherent order):

Zooropa
Your Blue Room
Electrical Storm
Mothers of the Disappeared
Moment of Surrender
Bad
NLOTH
One Tree Hill
Return of the Stingray Guitar
Scarlet
Stay
Unforgettable Fire
Unknown Caller
Magnificent
I Will Follow
HMTMKMKM
ISHFWILF
WTSHNN
Breathe
All I Want is You
EBTTRT Remix

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
    • http://www.u2wanderer.org
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 11:11:52 AM »
You gotta include "40" :-)  it was the last song played on the entire tour.  perfect way to wrap up the set for the CD.  :-)

please take a look at http://underanatomicsky.blogspot.com/2011/10/u22-tracklist-details.html?spref=tw and watch for the second link on the page if you want some insider information on what shows these tracks are likely to be drawn by.  Knowing the cities where they were performed will that alter your choices any?!

I know seeing that list, and worrying about a repeat of a lot of Rose Bowl tracks, I'm swayed away from tracks where i don't know the location...

miryclay

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 03:56:51 PM »
> I neglected certain tracks that weren't indicative of the tour. For example, 40 was not on my list. One Tree Hill as well.

The last thing i want is a CD that's indicative of the tour.  These songs have been released a thousand times on live CDs.  I'm tired of 122 copies of Beautiful Day. 

And with all the tracks that didn't have a location listed, I'm expecting they are just going to use the Rose Bowl tracks we already have anyway so I'm steering clear of those...

Me?  Picking tracks that weren't on the Rose Bowl DVD, and after those are all chosen?  Then I'm picking out some of my favorites left over...
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 07:53:43 AM by Aaron »

dagobah

• exploring nature in Yellowstone/Grand Teton
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 05:08:09 PM »
I'm not sure if I will re-subscribe . . . . . even with this offer.  It's the only reason I'd be subscribing . . . . . and $50 is quite a bit.  Maybe I could do what I did for the Artificial Horizon CD . . . . . . be patient and then buy the U22 live CD Set on Ebay.  I paid the seller $10.50 for the Artificial Horizon CD plus $3 shipping.  $13.50 fit into my budget better than $50.  Do any of you think the U22 live CD Set will be available on Ebay . . . . . from people who had multiple subscriptions?

hmtmkmkm

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 06:28:35 PM »
Now that I do think about it, the pull of hearing songs that weren't released or not released often is getting stronger. There's only one song I haven't heard from the entire tour and that was Love Rescue Me, ironically, only played in the Australian shows where I'm from. For whatever reason, they didn't play it at the two Melbourne shows I attended. So I'd be desperate for that song to be included, and for Scarlet because it was from my hometown. And throw in One Tree Hill, Electrical Storm and Zooropa. What does Mix mean? That it comes from multiple cities? There's something fun about being able to choose the songs in the set but also some frustration at seeing some of my songs below the top 22! And I still think they will arrange the order based around a possible setlist, even if it doesn't end up looking like a replica from the tour. Then again, the Rattle and Hum video was restructured...

I think this will definitely end up on ebay at some stage, that's a given, but the popularity of this and the positive reaction from fans so far has me thinking this won't come cheap at all. I think $50 will actually be a steal. Duals actually came off a bit more expensive than I expected, for an offer than many fans thought was ridiculous by by U2.com

morgan1098

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 11:02:38 AM »
I'm not sure if I will re-subscribe . . . . . even with this offer.  It's the only reason I'd be subscribing . . . . . and $50 is quite a bit.  Maybe I could do what I did for the Artificial Horizon CD . . . . . . be patient and then buy the U22 live CD Set on Ebay.  I paid the seller $10.50 for the Artificial Horizon CD plus $3 shipping.  $13.50 fit into my budget better than $50.  Do any of you think the U22 live CD Set will be available on Ebay . . . . . from people who had multiple subscriptions?

Like you, I was able to get Artificial Horizon on ebay for relatively cheap.  However, I have been shocked that Duals--a CD that almost everyone hates--has remained very expensive on ebay.  That being the case, I don't hold out much hope that U22 will eventually become "cheap" on the secondary market, especially since it's actually a desirable release.  So, I'm probably going to hold my nose and fork over $50 just to get a U2.com membership, even though it really pains me to do so...

miryclay

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2011, 11:49:31 AM »
If you look at the older fan club CDs none of them are at bargain prices. They become more scarce thru time.

dagobah

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2011, 11:55:02 PM »
Thanks very much for the feedback.  I haven't seen much activity on this forum recently so I was worried that I might not get any replies.  I check this forum several times daily and I depend on your info and opinions.  I guess I will renew my membership, but I think U2.com should re-examine their subscription price . . . . considering the economic situation throughout the world.  Separate from that issue, $50 is over-priced for what is offered in the subscription package.  If there were 2 great exclusive CD packages given EACH year, then $50 would be a fair price.  But with DUALS - it was neither great nor exclusive.  Again . . . . I really appreciate your quick feedback.

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
    • http://www.u2wanderer.org
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2011, 07:51:45 AM »
I think this will definitely end up on ebay at some stage, that's a given, but the popularity of this and the positive reaction from fans so far has me thinking this won't come cheap at all. I think $50 will actually be a steal. Duals actually came off a bit more expensive than I expected, for an offer than many fans thought was ridiculous by by U2.com

Add to that the fact that this will only be going out to those who resubscribe.

You know that the big draw for subscriptions is the ability to enter the ticket presale.  Once the Moncton show happened I had four or five people ask me how to sign up to the fan club, because $50 wasn't that bad a price to pay to ensure you got the seats you wanted.  I also know people who have multiple subscriptions so they can enter the presales more than once.  Many of those people don't care about a CD, and those are the CDs that populate ebay once they come out.

Right now what's the draw for resubscribing?  This CD?  So people who resubscribe are going to be ones who want the CD and are unlikely to part with it on eBay...those who joined for tickets on the last tour around are likely to let their subscriptions lapse.

I expect a number of these will hit eBay.  And if you're quick you might get one for a decent price.  But I wouldn't leave it a long time to try to get one as quantities of this one aren't going to be as numerous. 

I do expect that you'll be able to subscribe and get the CD after the fact though.  With Duals, it came out in the spring, but subscriptions made all through summer, into fall all included Duals as well.  So you could always try your luck on eBay and give it a month or so to see if you can find a deal, if you can't find anything then subscribe and get the present...it's a thought....

dagobah

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2011, 10:32:20 PM »
It's a great idea.  Thanks for explaining it.  That's probably what I will do.

slaneman

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2011, 08:30:26 AM »

hmtmkmkm

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2011, 07:49:22 AM »
Just today noticed that the results from the poll have been removed so that we don't know which of the 22 songs out of the 40-odd will be selected. Don't know how long it's been that way but I couldn't find the button to view progressive results. Anyone else thinking this is to allow them to change the final results without us knowing, so as to put whatever songs they want? Not so much to make sweeping changes that make the entire poll a farce, but perhaps to just take a few out that they never intended to include, or to put a few in that they wanted to put in from the start? I don't necessarily think it's a bad idea, there's equal chance they'll put one of the songs that I wanted as there is they'll take one of my songs out.

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2011, 02:49:30 PM »
They've said all along that they would stop showing the running totals at some point so that the final tracklisting is a surprise.