Author Topic: Achtung Baby 20!  (Read 64890 times)

Trevor

Re: Achtung Baby 20!
« Reply #120 on: November 13, 2011, 07:13:36 AM »
What's the story about the alternate (though not labeled as such) EBTTRT? It even makes an appearance on the 2CD set, which is odd as CD2 already has the FOOW mix. At the very least it has different backing vocals and additional guitar parts, the last minute and a half are very noticeably different, but it follows the original pretty faithfully.

I'd like to see yet another AB release, with all the songs on the album done like this - updated for the present but not radically reworked. :) Bring on the nostalgia!

It's the single version of EBTTRT isn't it? It was labeled on the single that way and in the initial reports about the box....

are you saying that the single version of ebttrt from deluxe editions is different from the original single version?
after a quick comparison I haven't noticed any difference... is it right?

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
    • http://www.u2wanderer.org
« Reply #121 on: November 13, 2011, 03:25:46 PM »
What's the story about the alternate (though not labeled as such) EBTTRT? It even makes an appearance on the 2CD set, which is odd as CD2 already has the FOOW mix. At the very least it has different backing vocals and additional guitar parts, the last minute and a half are very noticeably different, but it follows the original pretty faithfully.

I'd like to see yet another AB release, with all the songs on the album done like this - updated for the present but not radically reworked. :) Bring on the nostalgia!

It's the single version of EBTTRT isn't it? It was labeled on the single that way and in the initial reports about the box....

are you saying that the single version of ebttrt from deluxe editions is different from the original single version?
after a quick comparison I haven't noticed any difference... is it right?

Pretty sure that the single version on the Uber edition, and all the rest is just the single version from 1991 that came out on the single.

I haven't noticed any difference between the two. 

I have seen some people question if it's the same as the album version in a few places...

Carl

• Administrator
  • Transcriber
    • u2w
« Reply #122 on: November 14, 2011, 02:44:55 AM »
That'd make sense - I haven't listened to the single version for a while (a lot of the U2 stuff I don't listen to regularly is on an external drive not my laptop/iphone).  Makes sense, as it's the album version with a little extra punch to it. Still kind of an odd choice for a disc two, given there's already two EBTRRT remixes.

yseilys (dead)

« Reply #123 on: November 16, 2011, 11:56:53 AM »
Still not received mine... Need good scans of cd , insert cover front and back and back cover... Thank you

morgan1098

« Reply #124 on: November 16, 2011, 02:22:02 PM »
Still not received mine... Need good scans of cd , insert cover front and back and back cover... Thank you

In the Interference forum there have been a few (unsuccessful, IMO) attempts to create "covers" for each of the six CDs in the box set.  Using the actual art on each CD would work, but so far the only ones I've seen are just a scan of the actual CD.  Someone needs to do some major photoshopping and transform the CD art into an actual square, iPod friendly cover.

So what are you guys using for artwork in your iTunes?  At this point I just have six original Achtung Baby covers, with the appropriate names for each disc beneath each one.

Carl

• Administrator
  • Transcriber
    • u2w
« Reply #125 on: November 16, 2011, 03:17:16 PM »
I just added them as one giant 'album' with multiple disks. Mileage may vary, but it reduces tapping on my iphone, though it's a bit less effecient for sorting/repeats in iTunes proper.

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
« Reply #126 on: November 16, 2011, 08:46:19 PM »
Same here. Just one big 72-track album, and I used the cover art from the iTunes Store.

Lazy, I know.

santiago2u

• starchitect...then, father!
« Reply #127 on: November 16, 2011, 11:36:10 PM »
That'd make sense - I haven't listened to the single version for a while (a lot of the U2 stuff I don't listen to regularly is on an external drive not my laptop/iphone).  Makes sense, as it's the album version with a little extra punch to it. Still kind of an odd choice for a disc two, given there's already two EBTRRT remixes.

::: I'm old enough to have listened a lot, those AB cd singles I have since they came out (I'm 40)  ???

In 20 years Never, ever, have found any difference between the EBTTRT single version from the cd single and the Achtung Baby Cd album.
We're right. They should've added another song.

how about that WGRYWH VIDEO version?? great mix as it has the best of the Temple Bar remix and the album version...but hell, we missed our chance.  :P

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
    • http://www.u2wanderer.org
« Reply #128 on: November 17, 2011, 09:33:06 AM »
Same here. Just one big 72-track album, and I used the cover art from the iTunes Store.

Lazy, I know.

Mine is one big album as well but broken into discs via iTunes disc x of x field.

Just using the artwork that came from iTunes as well.  Had given some thought to scanning the alternate artwork from back then for use on the other discs.  It's included in the box in the Propaganda issue, and can also be found in the book four5one (now ampvisual) put out a few years back....

hmtmkmkm

« Reply #129 on: November 17, 2011, 09:19:54 PM »
I just got my uber box today and inside there was a card with Q.C. 001 on it. I know I pre-ordered pretty damn early but I didn't think I'd beat everyone else to the punch. Or did I just get lucky and it was all a coincidence? Is that my number of the limited edition copy, hence I have the very first one?

santiago2u

• starchitect...then, father!
« Reply #130 on: November 17, 2011, 10:05:33 PM »
I just got my uber box today and inside there was a card with Q.C. 001 on it. I know I pre-ordered pretty damn early but I didn't think I'd beat everyone else to the punch. Or did I just get lucky and it was all a coincidence? Is that my number of the limited edition copy, hence I have the very first one?

::: It's easier to get U23-Three 12" numbered #0001 than the Uber Box numbered low.

Q.C. Stands for "QUALITY CONTROL - 001" <---- number of employee in that area that checked/tested your item, before being released to commercial affairs.   8)

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
« Reply #131 on: November 17, 2011, 11:14:51 PM »
Yeah, the number for the Uber Box is printed on the side in gold.  ;D

hmtmkmkm

« Reply #132 on: November 18, 2011, 12:32:05 AM »
Ha! Excellent. I actually have No. 5461. Big drop from No. 1. Thanks guys.

God, Part II

« Reply #133 on: November 18, 2011, 03:32:25 PM »
In 20 years Never, ever, have found any difference between the EBTTRT single version from the cd single and the Achtung Baby Cd album.

Not to be argumentative, but there ARE clear differences in instrumentation, especially in the last minute of the song, between the two versions.  Now the difference between the album and single versions of "Angel of Harlem"?  That's the one that I can't figure out at all...

hmtmkmkm

« Reply #134 on: November 19, 2011, 03:22:00 AM »
Okay the .wav downloads that came with the uber box have necessitated my foray into understanding decompression etc. What I want to know is, if I convert the .wav files into .m4a with iTunes, thus making the files smaller, if I then convert those same .m4a files back to .wav, will I be back to the same uncompressed (i.e. same quality) files that the original .wavs were? Or does the compression destroy some of the quality that a reversal won't bring back? I ask because they're too large to sync to my phone and it takes up way too much space on there anyway, but I'd also like the option of listening to the .wav version in all its uncompressed glory without having to keep two versions of the same songs on my computer.