Author Topic: Achtung Baby 20!  (Read 64876 times)

yseilys (dead)

Re: Achtung Baby 20!
« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2011, 07:49:45 AM »
http://twitter.com/#!/jmelrose

look the tweets from 1st and 2nd of september...

^^

dagobah

• exploring nature in Yellowstone/Grand Teton
« Reply #46 on: September 04, 2011, 07:03:29 PM »
Thanks for providing a link, but I can't access any info from it.  If the link provided (in the above post) has some info, can you please just reply here with it (or at least the basics of the info) ?

It would help those of us who are not on Twitter, Facebook, MySpace, etc.

slaneman

« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2011, 07:39:46 PM »
@columbiaeagle--I'm not on Twitter either but for some reason I got it 

It's a tweet from Steve Lillywhite who was asked if he knew if AB was being remastered and he replied that 'as far as I know it is completely remastered"

There are also bits of info coming from other bands (like Depeche Mode for one) that they are recording covers of AB songs for a Nov release.

The suspense is building!

dagobah

« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2011, 08:06:43 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply.  I was just on the HOME forum (Depeche Mode) and a thread was created about the Depeche Mode cover.  I read through the posts and I couldn't believe what a few of the people posted.  Some of them weren't happy about Depeche Mode covering a U2 song and some just wrote they didn't like U2.  I posted on the thread and here's some of what I wrote:
U2's got some pretty dark songs that I could see Depeche Mode covering - "Love Is Blindness", "So Cruel", "Acrobat", "Until The End Of The World", "Wake Up Dead Man", "Tomorrow", "Gone", "Dirty Day" - songs about love, religion, sex, loss, family, etc.

Even a song like "If You Wear That Velvet Dress" could be covered by Depeche Mode.  I could see Martin singing the back-up vocal part that Edge sings.  I would love for Depeche Mode to take this short song (too short if you ask me) and lengthen it with a Martin Gore solo on guitar or keyboard.

Yeah, I know, the two bands have completely different styles, but one thing they both have in common:  they have created some of the best ever melodies, harmonies, and lyrics in music!

MartinTexas

« Reply #49 on: September 05, 2011, 02:42:44 PM »
Thanks for providing a link, but I can't access any info from it.
Try to paste in your web browser full link:
http://twitter.com/#!/jmelrose

not only "http://twitter.com/#;) Then it works fine.

Thanks for the quick reply.  I was just on the HOME forum (Depeche Mode) and a thread was created about the Depeche Mode cover.  I read through the posts and I couldn't believe what a few of the people posted.  Some of them weren't happy about Depeche Mode covering a U2 song and some just wrote they didn't like U2.  I posted on the thread and here's some of what I wrote:
U2's got some pretty dark songs that I could see Depeche Mode covering - "Love Is Blindness", "So Cruel", "Acrobat", "Until The End Of The World", "Wake Up Dead Man", "Tomorrow", "Gone", "Dirty Day" - songs about love, religion, sex, loss, family, etc.

Even a song like "If You Wear That Velvet Dress" could be covered by Depeche Mode.  I could see Martin singing the back-up vocal part that Edge sings.  I would love for Depeche Mode to take this short song (too short if you ask me) and lengthen it with a Martin Gore solo on guitar or keyboard.

Yeah, I know, the two bands have completely different styles, but one thing they both have in common:  they have created some of the best ever melodies, harmonies, and lyrics in music!
WOW! I like both U2 & DM and it's very interesting news! :D I know that they play different types of music, but it's perfect for cover versions - many good covers ware created when someone changed music style of song.  ;)
Acrobat would be good but LiB has also a chance. Maybe The Fly?  ::)

God, Part II

« Reply #50 on: September 08, 2011, 02:16:15 PM »
Even a song like "If You Wear That Velvet Dress" could be covered by Depeche Mode.  I would love for Depeche Mode to take this short song (too short if you ask me) and lengthen it with a Martin Gore solo on guitar or keyboard.

If you think it's too short, you should track down the version Bono did with Jools Holland; it's markedly longer and deeply awesome.

dagobah

« Reply #51 on: September 08, 2011, 04:07:00 PM »
Jools Holland?  I've never even heard of that person.  I wasn't aware of a longer version of "If You Wear That Velvet Dress".  Thanks for the tip.  OK, I will start my search for it today.  I doubt it's on the iTunes Store (US), but that's the first place I will check.  Then Amazon MP3 (US), and then Google.

Z000

• And I have no reasons, no reasons to get back
« Reply #52 on: September 08, 2011, 08:34:49 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yihwgEazFj4

I'm not a fan. The jazz feels smarmy. I probably just love the original too much.

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
    • http://www.u2wanderer.org
« Reply #53 on: September 09, 2011, 05:20:15 AM »
Jools Holland?  I've never even heard of that person.  I wasn't aware of a longer version of "If You Wear That Velvet Dress".  Thanks for the tip.  OK, I will start my search for it today.  I doubt it's on the iTunes Store (US), but that's the first place I will check.  Then Amazon MP3 (US), and then Google.

It was widely released worldwide.  Shouldn't be too difficult to find.
Further information on the release in the discography: http://www.u2wanderer.org/disco/solo001.html

dagobah

« Reply #54 on: September 09, 2011, 03:05:56 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I thought my knowledge of U2 releases was up-to-date.  It's releases like this that make me second guess myself.

dagobah

« Reply #55 on: September 11, 2011, 06:11:34 AM »
So, I just noticed that Even Better Than The Real Thing (Fish Out Of Water Mix) is supposed to be on Disc 5 of the two larger Achtung Baby box sets.  This is great news.  I wasn't a big fan of any of the remixes of Even Better Than The Real Thing when they were released in 1992.

morgan1098

« Reply #56 on: September 27, 2011, 02:25:17 PM »
Probably a mistake, but here's how the official U2 store now lists the formats:

20th Anniversary Edition [previously just the single disc]
"This 20th anniversary edition includes previously unreleased songs from the Achtung Baby sessions, remixes from the time and TV."
http://u2.store2.livenation.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/Store.woa/wa/product?sourceCode=U2CWEB&sku=U2T52621

20th Anniversary Deluxe Edition [previously 2-CD edition]
"This Deluxe Edition also includes "From the Sky Down" - a documentary from Academy Award winning director Davis Guggenheim (Waiting for Superman, An Inconvenient Truth and acclaimed music documentary It Might Get Loud featuring The Edge, Jack White and Jimmy Page)."

So, if the official store is to be believed, there is no longer a single-disc option.  There is now a 2CD version (with CD2 being b-sides, remixes, etc.) and a 1CD/1DVD version (with the DVD being the From the Sky Down doc).

As far as I can tell, the Super Deluxe and Uber Deluxe are the same, although with no actual track lists it's tough to know for sure!

dagobah

« Reply #57 on: September 27, 2011, 03:32:04 PM »
My questions concern the music on the 6 CDs in the Super Deluxe Edition.  Keep in my mind, I did buy The Complete U2 digital box set from iTunes and it allowed me access to many tracks from the Achtung Baby/Zooropa era that I never would have been able to buy at a reasonable price.  Here's my questions:
1  -  Among the 6 CDs in the Super Deluxe Edition, do they contain tracks that were previously unavailable for the basic U2 fan (like me)?  I guess some of you guys would refer to this as previously commercially unavailable.
2  -  If the answer to question 1 is yes, then how many are there?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 04:35:40 PM by columbiaeagle »

Z000

• And I have no reasons, no reasons to get back
« Reply #58 on: September 27, 2011, 06:50:00 PM »
From the "not final" list at the beginning of this thread, these are the tracks included on Super Deluxe, but not in The Complete U2.

Code: [Select]
Disc 3:
One (Apollo 440 Mix)

Disc 4:
Can't Help Falling in Love (Mystery Train Dub)
One (Apollo 440 Ambient)

Disc 5:
Blow Your House
Satellite of Love
Heaven and Hell
Oh Berlin
Near the Island
Down All the Days
Paint It, Black (might've been in the iTunes Plus version)
Fortunate Son (might've been in the iTunes Plus version)
Everybody Loves a Winner
Even Better Than the Real Thing (Fish Out of Water Mix)

All of Disc 6

Among those, Can't Help Falling In Love (Mystery Train Dub) is on a rare promo vinyl, and Paint It, Black, Fortunate Son, and Satellite of Love have been widely available on singles. Even Better Than the Real Thing (Fish Out of Water Mix) was briefly available online, I think. I don't know if any of the others have been released before.

dagobah

« Reply #59 on: September 27, 2011, 08:59:17 PM »
Z000, thanks for the quick reply.  I really appreciate it.  More questions, guys and girls.

My CD titled U2 Mango Remixes For Propaganda has a remix of Mysterious Ways called the Ultimate Mix.  The CD states it was remixed by Stereo Mc’s.  It has a track time of 5:01.  My iTunes Complete U2 digital box set has a remix of Mysterious Ways called the Ultimatum Mix.  It also has a track time of 5:01.  This is just a spelling discrepancy between the CD and iTunes, right?

Has anyone been able to find out any info about these tracks?
Blow Your House
Heaven And Hell
Oh Berlin
Near The Island
Down All The Days
Everybody Loves A Winner