Author Topic: Achtung Baby 20!  (Read 64239 times)

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
    • http://www.u2wanderer.org
Re: Achtung Baby 20!
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2011, 12:01:38 PM »
http://www.atu2.com/news/achtung-baby-anniversary-edition-what-it-has-and-what-its-missing.html

My article on @u2.  Points out the different mixes, and where they are from, what's new, what's rare, and what's fairly common.  Interesting tidbits?  Looks like there are a couple of different remixes on the vinyl box than in the normal box...the second disc of the two cd set doesn't match up with any of the CDs in the box...

morgan1098

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2011, 12:42:37 PM »
That's an awesome overview, Aaron.  I'm really curious about those remixes of "One."  My gut reaction is that dance mixes of "One" would be a travesty, but it could turn out cool if the mixes are more ambient, in the vein of Brothers in Rhythm's "Staring at the Sun" mixes.

I'm still holding out hope that the deluxe track listings can be tweaked to include a bit more archival material from Zooropa...

MDuchek

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2011, 01:04:07 PM »
Aaron (or anyone else),

Wasn't Mysterious Ways (Solar Plexus Magic Hour) just an edit two other remixes?  I remember thinking that was just a way of kind of putting two remixes into one track and it wasn't actually anything different...  So I wasn't a fan of that one.

Also is it possible that some of the unreleased songs were not from the Berlin sessions but from later sessions (i.e., Dublin)?  Maybe this is answered somewhere so sorry if I missed it...

MDuchek

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2011, 01:06:37 PM »
Also missing is the Daddy's Gonna Pay (Perfecto Mix).  I did get a different version of that sent to me that I meant to put up.  I will do that later as now would be a good time to do it.

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2011, 02:56:46 PM »
That's an awesome overview, Aaron.  I'm really curious about those remixes of "One."  My gut reaction is that dance mixes of "One" would be a travesty, but it could turn out cool if the mixes are more ambient, in the vein of Brothers in Rhythm's "Staring at the Sun" mixes.

I'm still holding out hope that the deluxe track listings can be tweaked to include a bit more archival material from Zooropa...

They've pulled those tracklistings from the Universal store.  And all along they have been listed as "changeable".  So it may change before the album.

Those One remixes may have been done back in '91.  Apollo 440 was working with the band quite extensively back then on the album tracks, and I remember hearing of some One remixes in the vault...lol.

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2011, 02:58:37 PM »
Aaron (or anyone else),

Wasn't Mysterious Ways (Solar Plexus Magic Hour) just an edit two other remixes?  I remember thinking that was just a way of kind of putting two remixes into one track and it wasn't actually anything different...  So I wasn't a fan of that one.

The opening to that mix was very quiet and different from the other mixes, and then it kicked in and kicked in hard.  The other mixes including the solar plexus, and magic hour ones never interested me.  But that particular one did.

morgan1098

« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2011, 03:16:10 PM »

They've pulled those tracklistings from the Universal store.  And all along they have been listed as "changeable".  So it may change before the album.

Those One remixes may have been done back in '91.  Apollo 440 was working with the band quite extensively back then on the album tracks, and I remember hearing of some One remixes in the vault...lol.

Yeah, I'm hoping they put that tentative track list up as a way to solicit fan reaction... and if they're paying attention, they'll realize that everyone wants to see Zooropa get more love on this set.  I would think there would still be time before November to assemble some Zooropa tracks, but then what would they cut out to make room for them?  That would annoy people all over again.

There is precedent for this.  When the track lists for the first three album remasters were announced, the War bonus disc was missing the live b-sides, and everyone went ballistic.  I don't think the b-sides appeared on an official track list until a couple of weeks before the sets were released.

As for the "One" remixes, like you, I'm almost certain that those were done back in '91 when Apollo 440 was remixing other Achtung Baby material.  I doubt they're recent mixes.

miryclay

« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2011, 05:08:37 PM »
Thanks for sharing your review Aaron.
I also really love the MW b side that was only available on 45 or 7".  One of the things that many fans are forgetting here is that much like POP, much of what we know as the album is done in the very last week or fortnight. I would assume that possibly they might have done some mixes or sequences and sent them off to important people for their opinion. This could possibly be BABY.

miryclay

« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2011, 05:12:34 PM »
When, where and how did they record the 360 version of the Real Thing?

Please don't tell me they are going to put a live track on the box set. 

morgan1098

« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2011, 05:22:38 PM »
When, where and how did they record the 360 version of the Real Thing?

Please don't tell me they are going to put a live track on the box set.

What people are calling "the 360 Version" of Real Thing is actually this studio mix:
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=528382700043

Yes, the live tour version is based on that, in the same way that the live version of Crazy Tonight is based on two different studio remixes.

To me, the new mix of Real Thing sounds like it was created with the original Real Thing tracks, with additional production from Fish Out of Water (assuming the "Fish Out of Water Mix" on the box set is this same version).

hmtmkmkm

« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2011, 11:04:27 PM »
http://www.atu2.com/news/achtung-baby-anniversary-edition-what-it-has-and-what-its-missing.html

So if I'm reading it correctly, the 2-CD Deluxe Edition doesn't have any songs that the Uber Deluxe edition doesn't have? They've just been moved around? I don't want to have to buy the deluxe edition as well, just to make sure I have every new song...

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2011, 05:18:12 AM »

So if I'm reading it correctly, the 2-CD Deluxe Edition doesn't have any songs that the Uber Deluxe edition doesn't have? They've just been moved around? I don't want to have to buy the deluxe edition as well, just to make sure I have every new song...

If you buy one of the two CD box sets you are good with every track except for the two different mixes showing up on the vinyl box set.  At least according to the track lists now removed from the Universal site.  There should be no reason to buy the two CD set if you buy one of the bigger box sets...

A

Z000

• And I have no reasons, no reasons to get back
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2011, 03:55:32 PM »
The question is not "Why isn't there more Zooropa material?" The question is "Why did they throw Zooropa into their Achtung Baby re-release?" Sure it's not as popular, sure it followed pretty closely afterward. But it's different enough to warrant its own re-release treatment. Surely they could make more money by instead releasing a 2-or-more-disc Deluxe Zooropa with the B-sides and extras so notably absent from this one? And if they're planning to do that anyway, why put it in here as well? It's not like they had space that needed filling.

On another note, the inclusion of Can't Help Falling In Love (Mystery Train Dub) is a mixed blessing for me. I have the Salomé vinyl, it was hard to find, so there's a certain satisfaction in knowing I'm part of an exclusive club of people who have that track (I'm by no means one of those "I prefer bands you've never heard of" types, but simply take pride in my collection). A new release of it means the money I spent on the vinyl (roughly US$40) was ultimately wasted, and I no longer will be so privileged. On the other hand, I don't have the vinyl-cleaning tools required to get all the scratching and fuzz out of that particular record, and the audio sample at the beginning is so incredibly quiet that I can't help but expect the levels of the original song were badly mixed (something I hope is fixed on the CD). So I'll welcome having a higher quality copy. As long as it hasn't been edited for some stupid reason.

Speaking of that vinyl, if the new release is in fact the same, I'll gladly offer up my Salomé record for trade, sale, or possibly free, if anyone's interested. A trade for your Uber Deluxe sunglasses, perhaps?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 04:11:38 PM by Z000 »

miryclay

« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2011, 04:47:31 PM »
It says in the disco that this promo was released in Spring of 1992. I would say that like the Wild Horses single, it was released that fall. The promo came early. From what I remember, the One single was used to promote the North American Spring tour, Real thing the summer Euro tour, (and its dance remix) beforehand and finally Wild Horses came out in the Fall to promote the Outside Broadcast tour.

The Wild Horses video has North American stadium video footage in it so that is my clue. I would estimate it came out in October or November. 

morgan1098

« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2011, 08:18:41 AM »
Amazon.com, amazon.uk and amazon.de have all updated their product listings (at least for the 2-disc version) to say "Original recording remastered."  So hopefully we can put that debate to bed now.