Author Topic: Discography Updates: February 9, 2011  (Read 9779 times)

God, Part II

Re: Discography Updates: February 9, 2011
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2011, 03:38:42 PM »
Well, Aaron, now I'm a bit confused by the whole Snake Charmer thing. I received the 'Last Night a DJ Saved My Life' CD and the booklet says that this version of Snake Charmer was an exclusive promo release.

However, it appears to be identical to Snake Charmer (Reprise) from the Snake Charmer EP, going by what I have in iTunes. Admittedly, I have the EP on vinyl but I got the MP3s from someone else. The running time is 6:54 which corresponds to what you have in the disco.

I also have 'The Sun Does Rise' EP on CD, and the version of Snake Charmer (Reprise) on there is a decidedly different mix. I guess I will have to pull out the vinyl to see which version of the track is actually on the Snake Charmer EP.

At the very least, I think we can safely say that this is the only CD release of this particular mix.

While we're on the issue (and I also just picked up this "Last Night a DJ..." CD so my wallet would like to say thanks oh so much, ha ha!), I notice the discography doesn't mention the only (to my knowledge) CD release of the original "Snakecharmer" track, Jah Wobble's 3-CD compilation "I Could Have Been a Contender" (as seen here: http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=6772460).  I'm so not a fan of this song and yet I've spent so much money on it ("The Sun Does Rise" EP, "I Could Have Been a Contender", "Last Night a DJ Saved My Life") and will shell out again if the other specious Jah Wobble/The Edge pairing, "Hold On to Your Dreams", ever comes to CD...*sigh*

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2011, 04:31:14 PM »
Jah Wobble's 3-CD compilation "I Could Have Been a Contender"

I have that.  ::)

Pretty sure it's the same version from Snake Charmer, but I really should pull all of these things out and verify.

Trevor

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2011, 05:53:35 AM »
Hold On To Your Dreams can be found on this cd by Various Artists:
"King Britt Presents Inspirations, Volume 1" released on 2000 by Dynamite Joint (DYNCD006).
it's a mixed cd but the song is present in its entirety, just the first seconds are mixed with the previous track, anyway are bits from the end of snake charmer... unfortunately it's a poor vinyl transfer, the quality is not the best...
you can buy it here:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/King-Britt-Presents-Inspirations-Vol-1/dp/B00004UDUG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1299753406&sr=8-1

regarding the other the edge/wobble tracks, the UK Island IMA 1 vinyl has the exact same version of snake charmer from I Could Have Been A Contender cd, and snake charmer reprise from The Sun Does Rise cd
the USA Island 90151-1-B vinyl has the alternate versions of snake charmer and snake charmer reprise (this one is the same on the last night a dj saved my life cd)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 05:57:56 AM by Trevor »

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
    • http://www.u2wanderer.org
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2011, 09:11:37 AM »
Trevor -- Thank you so much.

So if I'm to understand all this:

Catalog Number: IMA-1
Snakecharmer (6:14) - also on "I Could Have Been A Contender"
Hold On To Your Dreams (8:38) - vinyl transfer on "King Britt Presents"
Snakecharmer (Reprise) (6:54) - also on "The Sun Does Rise"

Catalog Number: 90151-1-B
Snakcharmer (Alternate) (6:20)
Hold On To Your Dreams (8:38) - same as above?
Snakecharmer (Reprise - Alternate) (6:58) - also on "Last Night a DJ Saved My Life"

Further there was a promo vinyl single which featured an edit of Snakecharmer at 3:17 on both sides.

Does that sound right?!

Trevor

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2011, 09:59:34 AM »
it's correct!
hold on to your dreams is identical on both uk and usa vinyl...

Trevor -- Thank you so much.

So if I'm to understand all this:

Catalog Number: IMA-1
Snakecharmer (6:14) - also on "I Could Have Been A Contender"
Hold On To Your Dreams (8:38) - vinyl transfer on "King Britt Presents"
Snakecharmer (Reprise) (6:54) - also on "The Sun Does Rise"

Catalog Number: 90151-1-B
Snakcharmer (Alternate) (6:20)
Hold On To Your Dreams (8:38) - same as above?
Snakecharmer (Reprise - Alternate) (6:58) - also on "Last Night a DJ Saved My Life"

Further there was a promo vinyl single which featured an edit of Snakecharmer at 3:17 on both sides.

Does that sound right?!

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
    • http://www.u2wanderer.org
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2011, 10:58:00 AM »
I have the Canadian vinyl (also IMA-1) so i'll confirm what's on there this week hopefully.  :-)

slaneman

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2011, 11:41:38 AM »
This is old news but I didn't see any listings in discography for these --

In 2007 Universal Netherlands reissued 5- U2 albums on 180g vinyl:

Boy - NL 5303038
War - NL 5303037
TUF - NL 5303036
JT -   NL 5303041
AB - NL 5303039

There is nothing different in the album covers or in the music as far as I can tell although the 180g supposedly carries a bit of sonic improvement if you're into analog. My guess is Universal NL was doing their own thing until the U2 remastered project started up around that time so they stopped with these 5.

santiago2u

• starchitect...then, father!
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2011, 01:31:42 AM »
::: Man, back in 2007. those remastered collection  it was a nightmare among u2 Collecting Sites. :P

My alter ego, ARAVEL in a very well known Vinyl Records Collector's Site, made a compilation of what was going through back in the day, as the news were arriving...too long to read: :-\

---so if you have like 4365543 hours to read, let me transport you in the time travel machine 4 years ago, pictures included and full detailed info: 8)

http://recordcollectorsguild.org/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=42052&highlight=warning+u2

REGARDS ARAVEL/santiago2u
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 01:50:43 AM by santiago2u »

slaneman

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2011, 09:03:54 AM »
Russian mafia special printing? Extra special collectable :o

... interesting situation

santiago2u

• starchitect...then, father!
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2011, 10:05:29 AM »
:::  ;)

Thing is, did ya see the pics?  Obviously compare these to the actual Remastered Vinyl Records that were put on sale by Universal Music+Island+Mercury.

I remember in those days, that I had the chance to buy them, thinking that probably they would become a 'rare' episode for collectors but...we're 4 years after that and still look awful against those beautiful remasters we were offered by the Band.

I still haven't opened the 'TUF' album, since it didn't come on a reseleable polybag...it's sucha beautiful item *sigh* ::)