Author Topic: your own U2\'s most beloved item??  (Read 12499 times)

santiago2u

• starchitect...then, father!
your own U2\'s most beloved item??
« on: October 16, 2004, 01:04:13 PM »
Hi there...I guess we all have one particular item among the hundreds of lps, cds, posters, tapes, bootlegs, keyrrings, t-shirts, etc. of the band, BUT there most be A single one item that you would take without hesitate to the grave:
Wich one is that item??

I would put them on 2 categories: emotional value, and collectible value...

Sounds interesting! don't you think so?

Carl

• Administrator
  • Transcriber
    • u2w
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2004, 01:45:57 PM »
Emotional value: the ZooTV hat that Bono signed at San Jose night 1 of the Elevation tour.

Collectible value: umm... I guess my three Austrian JT singles.    I'm sure Aaron will have a much better answer to this question than I!

So what about you?  You make the challenge and then don't give an answer.

Roland of Gilead

(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2004, 01:28:24 PM »
Emotional value - My bootleg U2 concert of the show I was actually at (Vancouver April 13th/01) with the ticket stubs on the actual cd case.

Collector value - My mfsl cd collection of 3 U2 discs (specifically the Joshua Tree). My Rattle And Hum Excerpts Promo disc. My numbered and framed Joshua Tree lithograph.

santiago2u

(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2004, 10:38:30 AM »
sorry, it just that it took me so long to choice two items, that got so late and then I had to check out the office, sorry!

the collectible one: my first Lp of U2, it was a present from my older brother when I was 14 years old, I taped It and I still have it as new, the mexican edition of UABRS --the one with reversed cover---, and I can't believe that it can be sell for high price...of course I don't sell mine.

the emotional one: A friend of my bro-in-law plays in a band in dublin called the Soft cellar, and he got for me, after spent two days outside Larry's house, an Island Official Picture , and Larry signed "To Jose + Moy" after my friend told him how to spell my name and my brother's name

By the way this picture measures 8"x11" and also its the full take of this one that it came in the WGRYWH zoo tv edition free prints:

http://www.u2wanderer.org/disco/view.shtml?images/sing031-12.jpg

but in mine you can see Larry's doc marteens, and One foot lean on the wall!

greetings from mexico

sirensong984

• www.livejournal.com/users/sirensong984
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2004, 06:00:12 PM »
Alright..this one was hard guys!

Emotional value...perhaps my framed Popmart ticket from Clemson in 1997--the very first time I heard U2 EVER.  

Collectible value? I have a bunch of stuff but it monetarily doesn't add up to much.  Maybe the Film Can (you know..metal..round) that contains Rattle and Hum singles on 45?  Is that even worth anything?  I actually paid for that so..we'll call it collectible. ;)

I like questions like this.  More, more.

santiago2u

(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2004, 06:19:52 PM »
well, it seems like we all have a lot of collectible stuff but the most interesing reading was the sentimental & emotional items' description...everyone of us has something attached to material stuff wrapped into the best music ...wow! poetry comes out...! nah, I just getting old...

sirensong984

(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2004, 10:42:15 AM »
I was definately wrong.  My most favorite and prized emotional item is the taping of Tech TV's Wired for Sound special that aired about 2 or 3 years ago...video of Elevation concerts and how they're set up..showed the Indianapolis show I was at and during the credit shows the interaction I had with Bono.

Sorry to keep posting but I can't believe I forgot this one.  That's *DEFINATELY* my favorite emotional item.

rivergoat

• Parser
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2004, 11:33:12 PM »
Yikes, I lost most of my U2 stuff when I was married (I should have never married someone who was not a U2 fan!) so I don't really have much...

Collectible - probably not worth much of anything, but the only thing I have that I can think of is my Pride (In the Name of Love) audio cassette - the one with Pride, Bommerang I & II, Touch and 11 O'clock Tick Tock

Emotional - I'd have to say it's the LPs I have of Boy, October, and War that I found in storage at my folk's house recently. Especially War (the first U2 album I bought). I was 11 years old when I got it, and just a couple of years later, I remember singing along to those albums during one of the darkest periods of my life. They were my only escape through some really bad times, and I'll never forget it. I still listen for (and think I can hear!) the scratches and minor burrs on those LPs when I listen to CDs of those albums. They're like a best friend, a reminder of comfort in a storm, and I will always love those albums just for that.

goat

santiago2u

(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2004, 01:32:09 PM »
hey, I've just ask my younger brother about this , and he got a good one:

turns out that he's 25 and the first thing he bought with his well earned first payment ever (like 9-10 years ago), was the zooropa cd, and I recall that day, he showed to me the cd with a big smile...then I went to our cd rack and showed mine to him...ha ha...he went mad, saying "...why you didn't told me??" since then he keeps the zooropa cd unopened, as his most collectible item, and the emotional one because was his first cd ever he got.
obviously since then we talk to each other if we find something we don't have, and sometimes still we buy the same thing...

Greetings again

ps. I liked very much the sirensong story and rivergoat's too, but Carl has the best one.

cheers

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
    • http://www.u2wanderer.org
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2004, 09:52:07 AM »
LOL.  I had a hard time picking just one item so I didn't.  Instead I am going to make a note on a couple of items.

Collector Value?

Probably my two box sets of singles from the two Best Ofs.  Honorable mention goes to U2 chocolate - the Sweetest Thing bar and the IGWSHA Advent Calendar.  I do like some of the stranger stuff.

Emotional Value?

This one was hard for me to pick.  Really difficult.  I've been collecting stuff from this band for over 20 years, and I have a lot of personal emotions tied up in things.  My framed set of ticket stubs and wristbands from the 16 Elevation shows I went to ranks pretty high.  So does my copy of The Joshua Tree which I bought on my only trip to Ireland.  I was on business, and it was the only thing I had a chance to bring back.  

But my favorite item, and the one with a lot of emotional value attached is only remotely attached to U2.  It's my Johnny Cash signature.  A good friend of mine was in contact with him and told him about the website named after the song he did with U2.  He said something about thinking that was great, and sent on an autograph for me.  That song has always resonated with me, and everyone knows it after I named the site.  It was just kind of cool to know Johnny Cash knew of it.

AJ

Biek2be

• http://users.skynet.be/Into.The.Heart/
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2004, 09:01:19 AM »
Emotional value:
Probably the bottle of water, i got from a securityman after the Elevation show in Antwerp 2.  The man just gave it to me, I took it, still full of the show I didn't realized what he was giving me.  I put the thing into my bag and when i came home, looked at it, I saw it was one of those bottles Bono used to drink during the show!!!  It stands since than in my livingroom, where everyone can see it.

Collector value?
Don't think i've something valueble there.

Bieke

u2rob

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/thephillyfly/sets/
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2004, 04:09:24 PM »
Whoa, excellent question (but a good one to mull over during my free time here at work).

As for sentimental value, I'd probably have to say that I treasure my concert photos more than anything.  The bootlegs (audio and video) of the shows I attended aren't far behind, but the photos document MY experiences, so they're quite important to me.  I was personally handed a setlist for the June 12, 2001 show (my second show), so that ranks up there as well.  A red guitar pick (Bono's) from the same night *sounds* coolest of all, but I was lucky to have found it on the ground in the heart, so it doesn't hold the same value with me.

As for collectible value...  hmm.  I have a couple of promotional items from the Best of 1980-1990 release, including a set of dogtags and a promo VHS.  Those are pretty cool.  If I'm looking at monetary value, though, I guess it would have to be my 12" Three vinyl (later repress in red-orange CBS sleeve) or my Filipino pressing of the Boy vinyl.  Or maybe my French 7" pressing of Two Hearts, though it's without a sleeve.  (Anyone have an extra one?)

sirensong984

(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2004, 01:46:00 PM »
Robs post reminded me that I forgot something beloved that is probably very collectible..two things actually.  I have a Bono red guitar pick that was handed to me after The Incident (I'm sure I told The Story by now ;)  and I also have a black guitar pick with the "Grace" symbol and Edge's signature given to me by Dallas.  I can't believe I forgot those.  I want to do something creative with them besides just have them in a plastic bag. Hmm...

whssy

• www.bouch.dk
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2004, 07:59:07 AM »
In terms of money. Probably the 3 CD westwood one set from Dublin 93.

Emotionally though, undoubtedly the signed photo (Unforgettable Fire era) that my sister got me via her viola teacher who was related to Peter Williams. I thought this was stolen from my flat when I lived in Manchester, but it showed up in my dad´s office last year and I had given it up for lost 10 years ago. How the hell it got there is anyones guess.

In terms of actual rarity - most likely my VHS promo of U2's beautiful day.

[Edited on 2004-11-28 by whssy]

1999XLT

(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2004, 01:27:36 PM »
This probably qualifies as both for me.  I have a single with Celebration on the A side and Trash, Trampoline, and the Party Girl on the B side.  Part of the lyrics in Celebration say:

I believe in the third world war, I believe in the atomic bomb...

Wierd huh?