Author Topic: Vertigo Live  (Read 4715 times)

Between Two Worlds

Vertigo Live
« on: October 16, 2004, 03:46:34 AM »
I struck luck yesterday and had the privilege to be part of the first live rendering of Vertigo - in the car park of the BBC. I am sure Bono sung "your mind may wander" (!) rather than "you might be wondered". Other things are more difficult to decide. I guess one hears what one expects to hear. So for me it's "I can't stand..." rather than "I can sell..." and the beats have still a ring of feats.
Interestingly, the three mumbled lines were not in the order expected from the record. I am sure that on both occassions (rehearsal, then live for Top of the Pops) Bono sung "(Showman...)" or equivalent (!) first rather than last. But I am not much wiser about the conent of the lines. (I was speculating that it was something like "change it", "jars full" - an allusion to what the Gospel of John describes as Jesus' "first sign" which may fit with "showman" but this may be way off the mark - I don't know).

By the way, the band also played "All Because Of You" (great rock, slighly softer than Vertigo) and "City Of Blinding Lights" (a moving ballad for which Bono takes up the guitar) as well as "Desire". It was the first time ever that I saw the band live - it was great!

Carl

• Administrator
  • Transcriber
    • u2w
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2004, 02:04:57 PM »
Congragulations on getting to hear the stuff live!

Yeah I was pretty sure it was "wander."  It also seems that it is "as bullets rip the sky" and "I can't stand the beats", hear both of those a lot clearer than on the studio version.  For those three murmered lines in the middle he changed them around, this is what I hear.  Third line is pretty iffy, but the first two I'm confident about.

(Kick it / Kick ass / Check it)?

(Checkmated)
(Hours of fun)
(You're mad "and many moan" / "at many more")

update - Someone just e-mailed me this:
Check mate
I was the pawn
You're mad
I'm not at all

It makes more sense but I hear an F not a P on line two.  Line 4 doesn't seem solid from either transcription.

[Edited on 2004-11-11 by Carl]

rivergoat

• Parser
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2004, 12:32:05 AM »
From what I can hear in the TOTP live version, it sounds like he's saying:

Should've waited/Shouldn't wait up
Hours of fun
You're mad and then that's all

Anyhow, that's what I hear... Did a noise reduction on that bit and then lowered the pitch 9% - helped with the last line.

goat

Carl

• Administrator
  • Transcriber
    • u2w
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2004, 02:37:28 AM »
Bono sings either the same or very similar lines during the CD:UK performance.  I did a quick FFT/Compress/Stretch (slow) to the middle section and will post up the mp3 here.

Just made it
Hours of fun
You're mad and made/met it on/all

Vertigo-cduk-middle.mp3