Author Topic: 16 years ago today: January 18, 1995.  (Read 6042 times)

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
    • http://www.u2wanderer.org
16 years ago today: January 18, 1995.
« on: January 18, 2011, 07:56:33 PM »
It was 16 years ago today that I was in my lab for Computer Science 2772, a second year level computer course when our prof said "pick something you love, because you are going to be spending a lot of time with it".  That was the start of my webpage project for the course.  It of course was the beginnings of U2wanderer.org.

I was home over Christmas and I found my old notes from that course while I was there.  Detailed notes about < blink > tags and why they should not be used.  Notes about colours.  How to embed photos.  It was pretty simplistic by todays webpage standards, but little did that prof know...I certainly did spend a lot of time with it.

It wasn't viewable on the web until late in that term.  I borrowed some webspace from the Byrd Polar Research group at Ohio State University, and instead of submitting my final project on a floppy disc like everyone else I submitted a beautiful laminated sheet that had the URL on it.  My prof was amazed.  This was before most universities would give out free webspace to students.  In 1996 I moved the page to my university server at my new university, where it stayed for 3 years.  Mostly just a links page, and some lists of my collection.  It spent time at Geocities, and Xoom, and finally at u2.org with my friend Paul.  u2.org became u2universe.com, and u2wanderer.org was born.

Kind of fun looking back on it all when i was home at Christmas.  And although it's been in a bit of a lull lately, we're still here, we're still planning things far bigger than we ever acccomplish, and we look forward to the next 16 years.

Pretty crazy stuff.  :-)

santiago2u

• starchitect...then, father!
Re: 16 years ago today: January 18, 1995.
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 07:43:16 PM »
:::: Congratulations on this great site: Aaron and Carl.

Along @U2 , this site was my favourite one in my early days of Internet navigating. I recall your old layout: it was also, sober, classy and clean. That was basically what has keeping me back at least once in a month ever since.

My brother and me, also have been contributors specially on mexican stuff for the discography section, and whenever a doubt comes around (like now, as I was trying to get info on 'Wire' mixes), Wanderer comes to mind and automatically I click on to get here to get info...there's great sites on U2 discography info, but to Us Wanderer comes first, always--no ass-kissing, you guys know me from a while.

I also remember that time that Universal Music wanted you to get down the lyrics section, hard time but they saw that your job was good...we were here to support a wonderful work based on the love for the music of our favourite rock band.

Keep The good work!
FELICIDADES AMIGOS
From Mexico.

José Arámbula

P.D.- Also, It was a great day to start to clebrate, as Juanary 17th it's my b-day  ;)

slaneman

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 02:42:20 PM »
José--Amen, brother. 

Thanks Aaron for keeping it going. Thanks Carl for looking cool in Elevation.  :D

« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 02:55:13 PM by slaneman »

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
    • http://www.u2wanderer.org
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 05:52:52 PM »
Happy belated birthday José!  :-)

santiago2u

• starchitect...then, father!
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 01:40:22 AM »
Happy belated birthday José!  :-)

::: It's a reciprocal celebration!

bring more Corona Beers!   8)