Author Topic: Oscar buzz for Winter? How?!?  (Read 13541 times)

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
Re: Oscar buzz for Winter? How?!?
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2009, 08:36:35 PM »
OK, does anyone else hear "Let It Be" in their head when that piano intro starts up?

slaneman

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2009, 10:07:45 PM »
Ha-ha--I didn't until you mentioned it. Maybe the first 3 chords. "Let it Be" was never one of my fav Beatles songs, however.

I thought the "Linear" Winter opening sounded dead on to the Coldplay song and kept the same rhythmic figure throughout, like other people mentioned. That always bothered me but I still think both Winters are exceptionally fine songs.

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2009, 10:55:35 PM »

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2009, 10:57:36 PM »
I thought the "Linear" Winter opening sounded dead on to the Coldplay song

Funny, whenever I heard it I always thought, "Beef. It's what's for dinner." Though when I tracked down that old commercial on YouTube the melody isn't really similar at all.

Bobsboy

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2009, 12:14:28 PM »
lol...i didn't hear Let it Be...when i listened to it for the 2nd time, i thought it sounded familiar, and then i immediately thought of "Can't Help Falling in Love".

I've gotta say that this song really moves me. i was thinking the other day about how, when NLOTH was first being promoted, i read in several different sources (including the book with the disc, i believe) that Bono had written mostly from the 3rd person for this album, creating a series of "characters", because he felt that he had exhausted himself as a source. Listening to this song...it's hard to put into words, for me...it sounds, in spots, intently personal. i wonder if the parts of the song about "words would find me...rhymes began in me, summer sang in me, summer sings in me no more"...i wonder if Bono was having a crisis, writers block, if you will...it makes me think of someone saying to themselves "man, this used to be so easy...why is it so hard now?". Some of the other phrases during the verses, especially the bit that's been excised from this version about being borne a child at a young age and learning that, instead of mellowing you out, it only reinforces your fierce determination to right the wrongs that you perceive in the world...that so sounds like Bono himself, as opposed to one of these characters. I like the characters just fine, but i remember someone (read: Bono) saying once that soul music was when the singer decided to reveal rather than conceal...i suspect that that is why this song moves me so deeply. this song is really glorious. i know i've already read a bunch of negative reviews of it so im sure that no one else will agree with me, but i love it. i know that parts of it are specifically calculated to make the listener feel a certain way, but...so what? the song works, as a complete, unmitigated success, for me.

miami66

• I have a vision... TELEVISION!!!
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2009, 12:18:36 PM »
I think that the Brothers version of Winter is infinately better than the Linear version

God, Part II

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2009, 12:30:02 PM »
i know i've already read a bunch of negative reviews of ["Winter"] so im sure that no one else will agree with me, but i love it.

No, you're not alone; I think it's much better than most of the NO LINE ON THE HORIZON album (well, the "Linear" version for sure; verdict's still out on the soundtrack mix)...

morgan1098

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2009, 02:37:13 PM »
I love it too.  Especially the Linear version.  It certainly fits well with the other quality songs on NLOTH, which I think is the best album they've put out since the 90s.

slaneman

« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2009, 11:38:46 PM »
Now that it's been nominated for a Golden Globe I guess we should expect some kind of promo to be issued.

God, Part II

« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2009, 12:15:27 PM »
Now that it's been nominated for a Golden Globe I guess we should expect some kind of promo to be issued.

Had a dream last night that I came across a mint copy of just such a  thing in a used CD store.  Woke with the dawn and, when I realized it was all in my head, greeted the day with a "dammit".

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2009, 02:05:09 PM »
I've been checking all the usual suspects for a promo CD. Nothing yet.

Digital distribution is killing obsessive collecting.  >:(

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie

slaneman

« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2009, 06:34:58 PM »
GP2's dream has come true. Sorta.  ;D

Happy New Year everyone!!!

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2010, 03:33:28 AM »
Scans... And I've already sized them for the discography...

« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 03:40:57 AM by Brad »

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2010, 03:37:03 AM »
brotherssoundtrack.com doesn't exist.  >:(

Cancelled plans?