Author Topic: starbucks cd and new releases...  (Read 8237 times)

Trevor

starbucks cd and new releases...
« on: November 18, 2009, 10:31:56 AM »
thanks for the tips about the new cd by red/starbucks, I have just bought one copy on ebay for $5.99...
some days ago I also found a new interesting release which include a new version of beautiful day live from bbc live lounge.
"BBC Radio 1's Live Lounge" - February 27, 2009: London, England @ BBC Radio Theatre:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Radio-1s-Live-Lounge-4/dp/B002Q6YF52/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1258557784&sr=8-1

and this boxset has the single version of 11 o'clock:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Island-Records-Post-Punk-Box/dp/B002KL0IYK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1258559324&sr=8-2
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 10:52:01 AM by Trevor »

God, Part II

Re: starbucks cd and new releases...
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 12:44:12 PM »
You can't imagine my joy when I saw this news update posted on the main page; I absolutely HATE HATE HATE digital-download-only tracks and I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE U2's "I Believe in Father Christmas", so I've been suffering with a kind of low-level dissatisfaction ever since this track was released last year.  Of course, I bought my CD copy immediately this morning (spent the required $15 on a gift card, went to work and sold the gift card for $10; $5 for a new U2 song on a factory-pressed CD is a worthwhile expenditure for me) and was immediately stunned by the level of bass on the track.  I've been enjoying my mp3 download from the (red) site over the last year, but its bass presence has nothing on the Starbucks CD.  There is a lengthy section near the end where Adam just keeps holding out the same bass note...I thought the bolts and rivets of my car would all fall out on the road from the intense vibration.  This minor release has really made my day!

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 02:37:34 PM »
some days ago I also found a new interesting release which include a new version of beautiful day live from bbc live lounge.
"BBC Radio 1's Live Lounge" - February 27, 2009: London, England @ BBC Radio Theatre:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Radio-1s-Live-Lounge-4/dp/B002Q6YF52/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1258557784&sr=8-1

Thanks, Trevor. I will have to update the front page with this one as well. What should we take from the fact that U2 is not one of the featured artists on the cover?

Z000

• And I have no reasons, no reasons to get back
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 08:43:16 PM »
I have the (RED)Wire version, but I'm glad to know the quality is better on this CD. Not that I disliked the download or resented that it was only available digitally (though I generally hate it when they do that). But because I like Playing For Change and wasn't sure if this release would be worth it just for that and a hard copy of something I already own. Oh, and the other two tracks don't sound half bad either (I previewed them on the website).

slaneman

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 10:29:01 PM »
My wife got me a copy today. 15 bucks...pffff....that's a normal drink for her...daily... ::)

@Trevor---what is that Beautiful Day thing--an actual CD or just a download? Those Brits aren't very clear ya know.  :o

Price seems pretty steep so it must be a CD...but oh goody, another something or other official release to do lyrics for... ;D
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 10:30:49 PM by slaneman »

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 12:07:31 AM »
It's a CD. Mine is already on the way.  ;D

They have MP3s too, but I can't buy MP3s from Amazon UK.

Trevor

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2009, 03:01:31 AM »
yes it's a 2x cd, I will receive mine in few days...
I compared the preview with the DAB recording I have from 27 february 2009 and they are the same thing...

slaneman

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2009, 10:52:55 PM »
I'm not planning on getting the BD since I already have a recording from the show so I'd love to know from you guys if they left intact some of Edge's fumbles just before the Blackbird snippet.  ;)

Trevor

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2009, 04:40:30 AM »
slaneman, they adjusted the edge's fumbles  :) but the rest is the same...
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 08:44:14 AM by Trevor »

slaneman

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2009, 09:40:06 PM »
Grazie mille di cuore   :)

God, Part II

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2009, 08:26:09 AM »
I must admit there are moments when you collect more out of a sense of OCD compulsion than because you're truly excited about a release...well, boys, this is one o' them times.  About the last thing in the world I need is the umpteenth official release of a live "Beautiful Day" track but, *sigh*, nonetheless, for $20, it's currently en route to me from the UK.  So tell me, on the show from which this recording originates, the musical guests also perform a cover track(s), right?  What did U2 cover?  Seems to me, unless they wrecked it, that would have made for a much more fascinating release...

slaneman

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2009, 09:25:55 PM »
You are a true collector, my friend. My deep condolences.

To answer your question about the cover song--they didn't

http://www.u2gigs.com/show1552.html

The amazing thing to me is this--it seems like only yesterday they were on the promo tour. Where did the time go??

(Z000 is not permitted to comment)  ;)

God, Part II

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2009, 10:31:14 PM »
Interesting...would have preferred the live "Get On Your Boots", then; at least that's never seen an official release before.  Seems weird that the producers of this CD had three options of new material and they went with the damn-near-a-decade-old song...weird...

Z000

• And I have no reasons, no reasons to get back
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2009, 11:33:25 PM »
The amazing thing to me is this--it seems like only yesterday they were on the promo tour. Where did the time go??

(Z000 is not permitted to comment)  ;)

I have no idea what you're implying, but I like it.

God, Part II

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2009, 12:52:54 PM »
What should we take from the fact that U2 is not one of the featured artists on the cover?

My assumption was that U2's moniker probably spilled over onto the back cover but, now that it arrived this morning in my hands, no.  The band's name is nowhere other than the tracklisting so, hmm, guess they're not perceived by this CD's label to be as much of a selling point as Lady GaGa, Litte Boots and The Black Eyed Peas...kill me now.