Author Topic: Introductions?  (Read 30711 times)

Carl

• Administrator
  • Transcriber
    • u2w
Introductions?
« on: September 25, 2004, 04:34:01 AM »
So... who are you?  The few, the proud, the registered.  

Just a bit about yourself and why you registered (especially if you haven't posted and don't really intend to).  Afraid someone will take your username?  Did you feel pity on us and decide to swell the ranks?

u2rob

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/thephillyfly/sets/
If I still May....
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2004, 04:49:32 PM »
Since nobody took the bait, I'll bite first:

I'm Rob.  I'll try to keep this short and sweet (though that doesn't happen too often with me!).

I'm 23, from Philadelphia, and I'm the co-founder and list manager over at the U2PhillyFans yahoogroup.

I've been a U2 fan since just after Pop passed through town, so my first live experiences weren't until Elevation came to Philly.  Saw them five times in 2001 (thrice in Philly, twice in NYC).  Was GA for 4 shows.  Am very proud of my photos (and even prouder to have one published in the updated U2 Live: A Concert Documentary, though it's not the one I would have chosen).  Very much looking forward to the next tour.

I am a ravenous U2 bootleg hound; I've just started to get into DVD trading.  I'm also a collecting freak - I find myself buying vinyl even though I almost never play 'em, for example.

I'm not one to post a lot, but I do have spare time at work often, and I do intend to cruise around the forums when I can.

And yes, yes, I did feel pity for y'all. =P

Sincerely, a ranks-sweller.  =)

sirensong984

• www.livejournal.com/users/sirensong984
Now that someone else has posted..
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2004, 01:39:43 PM »
...I won't look dorky. So I'll go next ;)

Hmm.  Who am I...lets see. I'm 20, I'm a political science education major at the  University of Tennessee (that's in Knoxville).  I spend a lot of time with my boyfriend and online bothering Aaron (which I've been doing since I was 15..wow, anyway..)

Hmm. I first heard U2 at a Popmart concert in Clemson, SC.  I was forced to go by my grandmother, but boy am I glad she made me go.  Of course I fell in love right then and there and have been obsessed ever since.  I saw them again on Popmart in Atlanta that fall and then I saw 4 elevation shows (Atlanta, Indianapolis, Baltimore, and Atlanta again) and made some good friends through those.  I look forward to selling my soul and anything else not bolted down to try to raise money for this tour ;)  Incidentally my favorite song on HTDAAB is City of Blinding Light or maybe Yahweh now.  Or maybe Miracle Drug.  Or maybe...you get the picture ;)

I guess I can wrap it up now, I've bored you long enough.  

Love,
Stefanie :)

Carl

• Administrator
  • Transcriber
    • u2w
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2004, 07:08:45 AM »
@Rob... I have no worries accepting pity posts. :) Looks like we got into the band around the same time.  While it is a shame to have missed ZooTV and Popmart, at least we had a great back catalogue to sort through eh?

@Stef... the story has been told, though not on here.  Perhaps you can cut and paste from an old rewired post or something. Bothering Aaron online is a favorite pastime of mine as well, too bad he always seems to be getting urgent calls from work.  Hmmm.... :)

My little bio is up here:
http://www.u2wanderer.org/twoshots/carl.html

It was based around Aaron's, but I found the third person voice rather amusing, and uh, got a little carried away.  For reference his more "professional" bio is here:
http://www.u2wanderer.org/twoshots/aaron.html

Butter7

• http://velvetdress.yculblog.com/
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2004, 11:33:17 AM »
[list=1]
  • Who is she?
    She's a Chinese international students studing in Australia. She changed 4 majors in 6 semesters. Currently, she's a HRM student.

• Why she registered?
    She was annoied by the actions taken on fan sites recently, and felt a bit guilty for only taking from these hard working guys, but never give a thank word in her past.

• A bit about her U2 history[/color]
    A real good story! She bets U2 gonna love it.
    One day she went to a local music shop (when she was in China), she bought 5 DVDs and asked for 20% discount. The shop owner refused her but gave her a copy of U2's CD instead. An unauthorized or illegal copy, whatever word you like. She was upset by the greedy shop owner, but she did listen to that CD, and fell in love with the band who made the music. (the worst thing finally happend.)

• 3 good thing of this year
    Passed all exams; the new album finally released; going home in December.

• 3 bad thing of this year
    Passed all exams in pity results; the new album finally released, but fan sites are down; going home in December but the ticket is too expensive.
    [/list=1]

4 am in the morning, I think I'd better get some sleep before the sun rise. :)

Ugo1970

(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2004, 03:50:35 PM »
1) Who am I:
My name's Ugo Coppola. I was born on December 21, 1970, I'm Italian and I teach English in a secondary school to 24 very nice kids. :-)

2) Why I registered:
Because I don't like to simply pass through forums, lurking and occasionally posting replies. When I enter a forum (and this is just one of the many forums I'm registered to...) I like to be fully active in it. And if this implies registering, I just couldn't ask for anything better. :-)

3) Why I post here:
I don't think I can be defined an U2 fan. I listen to them just as much as I listen to a jillion other people and a jillion other kinds of music. But I'm very keen on lyrics. Being Italian, I usually get most of 'em but not all, so fansites (especially well-kept ones, like this), are often a great help. And I try to do my best to repay them for their help, by posting in the forums - especially, of course, in the sections concerning lyrics. :-)

[Modificato il 2004-12-6 da Ugo1970]

canuck

• www.geocities.com/davemcg76
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2004, 12:10:45 PM »
1. Who am I?
Dave and am from Canada. I completed uni with a major in history. I am 28 and have been a U2 fan for 18 years. (might not last much longer).

2. Why I registered? (so late)
I am a memeber of another forum and this site was mention because someone thought (U2 PM) it would be a good idea to shut down fan sites because of lyrics etc.... I will continue to visit your site as I have only just started to go through it all.

3. Why I Post here:
I wanted to show my support for those who put in a lot of their own time and money into creating these sites for us to enjoy.

Thank you and I hope everything works out for you.
Until the next time,

Canuck

jimbo913

(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2004, 03:55:03 PM »
Hello all, my name is James.  I am a long time U2 fan, but a new U2 fanatic.  I have collecting in my blood and never realized before how collectable U2 can be.  So much stuff.  So little money to spend on it all.

Anyway, my first experience with U2 was back in late 87.  My cousin let me borrow his JT record.  I was 12 at the time, and I remember playing the record on my Fisher Price turntable.  I sat there trying to figure out the words.  I just remember becoming hooked.  I never wanted to give him the record back, but eventually I had to.  I purchased the casette tape soon after.  If you were to ask me what I was listening to at that age, I would have just said JT... nothing else (well maybe a bit of UABRS, my second purchase).  I must have listened to that tape a million times over and over, beginning to end.  I never listened to it without listening to the whole thing.  I never just played one song, it was all or nothing.  It breaks my heart to think about it, but as time has gone by, I no longer have that tape, although I bet if I ever found my old walkman, it would be in there... it never left it.  By my freshman year, I purchased JT on CD.  AB came out my junior year of high school and I tried like mad to get tickets to a show (in Lexington, KY where I lived), but to no avail.

To be completely honest, U2 lost me during the 90s.  I continued to listen to JT fairly often, but the "newer" stuff never really captured my attention.  Ocasionally I would listen to Rattle and Hum, The Unforgettable Fire, or War.  But that was it.  I didn't buy Zooropa or Pop when they came out.  By the time ATYCLB came out, I was dating my (then) future wife.  She had purchased ATYCLB and I gave it a listen.  I thought it was pretty good, but nothing more.

Then one day last summer, I pulled out JT (which I hadn't listened to for at least 6 years) and went for a drive.  What can I say?  I fell in love with the album all over again.  On my way home from the drive I decided to stop at a Circuit City and buy the RaH DVD.  I really enjoyed the movie, and could feel myself becoming more of a fan.  Soon after I purchased Live at Slane Castle.  That did it for me, and made me an official fanatic.  Since then, I have gone back and bought all the U2 stuff I can get my hands on (CD singles, all their CD albums, vinyl albums and singles, VHS cassettes, DVDs, etc.).  I have yet to see a U2 show, but I eagerly await one this time round.  Nothing is going to stop me this time.

Butter7

(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2004, 06:10:28 PM »
Originally posted by jimbo913
Hello all, my name is James.  I am a long time U2 fan, but a new U2 fanatic.  I have collecting in my blood and never realized before how collectable U2 can be.  So much stuff.  So little money to spend on it all.

Anyway, my first experience with U2 was back in late 87.  My cousin let me borrow his JT record.  I was 12 at the time, and I remember playing the record on my Fisher Price turntable.  I sat there trying to figure out the words.  I just remember becoming hooked.  I never wanted to give him the record back, but eventually I had to.  I purchased the casette tape soon after.  If you were to ask me what I was listening to at that age, I would have just said JT... nothing else (well maybe a bit of UABRS, my second purchase).  I must have listened to that tape a million times over and over, beginning to end.  I never listened to it without listening to the whole thing.  I never just played one song, it was all or nothing.  It breaks my heart to think about it, but as time has gone by, I no longer have that tape, although I bet if I ever found my old walkman, it would be in there... it never left it.  By my freshman year, I purchased JT on CD.  AB came out my junior year of high school and I tried like mad to get tickets to a show (in Lexington, KY where I lived), but to no avail.

To be completely honest, U2 lost me during the 90s.  I continued to listen to JT fairly often, but the "newer" stuff never really captured my attention.  Ocasionally I would listen to Rattle and Hum, The Unforgettable Fire, or War.  But that was it.  I didn't buy Zooropa or Pop when they came out.  By the time ATYCLB came out, I was dating my (then) future wife.  She had purchased ATYCLB and I gave it a listen.  I thought it was pretty good, but nothing more.

Then one day last summer, I pulled out JT (which I hadn't listened to for at least 6 years) and went for a drive.  What can I say?  I fell in love with the album all over again.  On my way home from the drive I decided to stop at a Circuit City and buy the RaH DVD.  I really enjoyed the movie, and could feel myself becoming more of a fan.  Soon after I purchased Live at Slane Castle.  That did it for me, and made me an official fanatic.  Since then, I have gone back and bought all the U2 stuff I can get my hands on (CD singles, all their CD albums, vinyl albums and singles, VHS cassettes, DVDs, etc.).  I have yet to see a U2 show, but I eagerly await one this time round.  Nothing is going to stop me this time.

Wow...what a long journey...welcome home. :D

Carl

• Administrator
  • Transcriber
    • u2w
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2004, 03:42:20 AM »
Originally posted by Butter7

Wow...what a long journey...welcome home. :D

Home... that's where the hurt is ;)

A good story, it's always interesting to see what really draws people into the band.  For me it was the Best of 80-90 driving me to check out some live mp3s online... SBS from R&H, One from Modena, Ultraviolet from ZooTV Washington DC, and Exit from Joshua Tree in Flames boot.  Each song was so different from the studio versions I was just blown away.  My interest in how songs change live (a big reason why I decided to get into the lyrics transcription thing) began then, and it has been a wonderful musical journey.

@Canuck - nice to see you here, thanks for the support.  I hope their aren't any hard feelings about me being the one that put an end to the 100% Canadian blurb this site used to sport.

@Butter - what is HRM?  Harmful Robot Monkeys? Healthy rat milkshakes?? And what were your 3 previous majors?

Butter7

(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2004, 07:19:36 AM »
Originally posted by Carl
@Butter - what is HRM?  Harmful Robot Monkeys? Healthy rat milkshakes?? And what were your 3 previous majors?

HRM = Human Resource Management.

My 3 previouse majors are:

1. International Trade

2. International Economic and Trade

3.Electronic Commerce.

Well, I better tell you why I changed them before you ask. ;)

The first time I chose that as my major because it's the only major my previouse Uni offered without Math. and PE.

Then I changed to the second major because I transfered to another Uni, and they didn't have that major, and they still haven't.

Then I changed to the third one not because I interested in it, but I have to apply for an Australian Student Visa, and they said I have to study some thing which related to my previous study.

Then after one semester, I changed it again, because i don't like it.

jimbo913

(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2004, 01:04:21 PM »
carl:

Yeah, live is were it is at.  I have always been a huge fan of live performances.  That is where a band proves its worth.  Anyone can make a an album (not necessarily a good album though).  But few shine in the live atmosphere.  That is why I was drawn to bands like the Grateful Dead, moe., phish, etc.  Yeah, most lump them in with drug users and the like, but those bands could perform on stage like no other.  But they couldn't make a good studio album to save their life.  

But U2 has it all, talent on stage, and talent in the studio.  Often it seems you have one or the other (and in some cases neither).

Between Two Worlds

(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2004, 04:49:47 PM »
Hi everyone. I was meaning to write for a while but got bogged down in work which happens rather often to me so I am going to be a bit irregular in attendance.

My name is Thomas and I am a tutor in Old Testament at a theological college in London involved in training ministers for the Church of England and other organisations. Today was the last day of our teaching term and one of my students gave me a present to show his appreciation for my Psalms class: the pocket canon edition of the book of Psalms which has a short introduction written by Bono. I had meant to get that for a while...

My love for U2 has been slow in coming. I know actually very little about music, contemporary or otherwise, but have been dimly aware of U2 from early on (a friend of mine was a U2 fan). When I lived in Israel for a year, the only movie I went to see was Rattle & Hum - that must have been in 1989 - and I loved it. But I was not in the habit of buying music (for sound financial reasons!) and the first U2 album I bought was ATYCLB, then the love just kept growing and I got the Best of... albums and earlier CDs and tapes. I saw U2 perform live only once and that very recently when they premiered a number of HTDAAB songs on Top of the Pops here in London - I knew about it only thanks to a student who in the coffee break told me all about this gig and I was incredibly lucky to end up chatting to someone who had a spare ticket!

As a biblical scholar I am trained in reading texts and love reflecting on lyrics. So the care taken over the lyrics here was what first attracted me to this site.

I call myself Between Two Worlds because that phrase was prompted in my mind by "The Wanderer". I have sometimes felt like "a wanderer between two worlds" (and used that very phrase) - e.g., the world of academic scholarship and the world of the church, the world of poetic imagination and logical argument...

I've probably said enough so just to round off the picture: I was born in 1969 in Germany, married in 1992, came to England in 1993 and have a daughter (born 1999) and son (born 2001).

Carl

• Administrator
  • Transcriber
    • u2w
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2005, 04:00:52 AM »
I really liked his introduction to the book of Psalms.  Besides the kind of tongue in cheek "david was the first bluesman, railing against God" (I think) he had some really great thoughts in there. I bought it as a present for someone and highlighted some passages I particularly liked.

It's an interesting name and it's always great to get some input from someone who knows what they're talking about and comes from a different perspective than me (I'm areligious).  It'd be nice to get more discussion going in the interpretation section but I've been pretty busy and am kind of iffy about the whole lyrics thing at the moment.

You should enjoy this blog if you're not already familiar with it:
http://u2sermons.blogspot.com/

On a side note I may be picking up German sometime soon. :)

slaneman

(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2005, 10:06:34 PM »
Hi, my name is Mike and I consider myself a U2 fan(atic) since first watching the Boston DVD. I was a professional musician in a previous life (classical guitar and musicology) and am currently a custom audio/video designer. This has allowed me to combine a love of music with a real paying job.
I've only been scanning the fan forums for a couple months but I thoroughly enjoy reading everyone's posts. I'm always amazed at the depth of people's knowledge about bootlegs and b-sides, etc. and having spent a few years buried in music libraries I really appreciate their efforts. Some of you guys deserve honorary doctorates.
At my age (grandfather)I find it hard to admit to my peers the connection I feel to this band. I guess a part of me is still living in the 60's when music was everything. For me it's all about the live DVD's and whatever live gigs I get off the web or TV. I watch them all the time. I love to watch the subtle cues they give each other. I've met quite a few fans and given them a U2 show in our theater room. My coworkers are naturally sick of U2 at this point! I knew I'd lost it when I'd come home and put on headphones and play "Rattle and Hum" until l fell asleep. Being from Chicagoland originally,  I was always a big blues fan and had seen BB King a bunch of times. I never knew Bono wrote that song for BB! (ah, we have Edge to play the chords)
I was going nuts with sympathetic nerves the day they played at Clinton's Library and could barely watch Edge and Bono perform in the rain. That was no mean feat to fret a wet guitar and play in tune. These guys are the best live rock band.
After watching the Slane DVD I was totally destroyed. I didn't even notice the bonus MW with his daughter(?) for a week. That blew me away. As did Edge's guitar work.
I too am fascinated at the evolution of their songs as they first begin performing them and am baffled and delighted to watch Bono wrestle with a live performance. How's it going to come out this time? That's the point! And Bono's mutterings drive me crazy.
I'm rambling. Love u2wanderer.