Author Topic: Introductions?  (Read 30719 times)

Between Two Worlds

(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2005, 06:03:38 PM »
This introductions page proves very interesting - how we come from different parts of the world (even worlds?) and latch on to different things... Thanks Carl for the http://u2sermons.blogspot.com/ of which I was unaware!

I ought to try translating some U2 lyrics into German. I've once translated a sonnet by John Milton (On My Blindess) and was amazed how much the translation process helped me appreciate the poem. Should not have been surprised, of course, it's one of the reasons we teach our students Greek and Hebrew. But finding the time...

den_mark_98

• www.thomasringgaardkitchell.dk
If I still May....
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2005, 02:49:04 PM »
My name is Patrick and I am an American living in Europe the last 8 years. Currently, I am living in Denmark and didn't get any tickets to the upcoming U2 show in Copenhagen!

BUT...I am a life-time U2 person. I am not a fanatic in the normal sense, I don't get get everything they have ever produced(merchandise) but I live for their music and I have for 21 years.

I saw U2 20 years ago during the Unforgettable Fire tour and have listened to them since before War. I must say that in a time of alot of CRAP music one thing can be sure. U2 will always put out high quality music, something to be proud of and expect.

I registered because it is nice to be apart of something that has meant alot to me U2.

If you want to know what it was like seeing New Year's Day and Two Hearts Beat as One as new released videos feel free to ask!

anyway cheers,

Patrick

[Edited on 2005-2-13 by den_mark_98]

Between Two Worlds

(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2005, 02:16:43 PM »
Yes, tell us about it, Patrick!

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2005, 10:12:00 PM »
I've been putting off posting in this thread until I have something profound to say, but since that's never going to happen...

I'm Brad.  I'm 32 and I'm a Developmental/Behavioral Pediatrician.  I've moved all over the US getting my education: Dallas, San Francisco, Seattle.  I'm currently in Biloxi, MS because that's where my career path has led me, but I'll eventually be moving back to the west coast.

My first exposure to U2 was "Pride," but I really fell in love with the band with the release of The Joshua Tree.

I registered because I've been hanging around behind the scenes here for years.  I've provided some of the discography scans for Aaron, and I also bug him whenever I find an ommission or error on the site.

ocean

(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2006, 07:02:26 AM »
Hi everybody!
I'm a new member :)

I'm a huge U2 fan since 1987, when I was only 11.

Hope we'll soon be friends and exchange interesting ideas about our fav band.

Lots of love

Nando_Edge

• u2br.com
(No subject)
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2006, 07:04:29 PM »
Hi !!!!! I´m form Brazil, Ít's my 1st post here. I've became a U2 fan since I´ve got The Joshua Tree about 14 or 15 years ago!! My uncle gave it me before he dies. But I´ve knew U2 before when I heard New Years Day em I was 9. Sinceraly, Í think I was born as an U2 fan hehe. I'm a member of a U2 braziliam fa club called U2BR ( www.u2br.com ) . An old dream became true to me this year: I  was in the Vertigo world tour last Februery  in São Paulo, my first tour: It was incredible !!!! . Please come to visit us

jimbo913

(No subject)
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2007, 08:35:08 AM »
Good to see the boards still open!  I have been MIA for awhile.  I moved from Tennessee to Virginia last summer and started a new job.  Unfortunately this new job doesn't allow for me to hang out here all day like my last job.  I was jamming out this morning to some U2 and decided to pop in.

Keep up the great work!!!!

slaneman

(No subject)
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2007, 09:13:36 AM »
@jimbo913- if you ever come up to the DC area dinner's on me!

U2discotheque

• http://www.u2discotheque.com
(No subject)
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2007, 12:36:42 PM »
Hi, hello! My name is Josipa, I come from Croatia, for any of you that don't know where that is...Europe, right above the Adriatic sea and Italy...well, I'm a u2 fan since, well, who counts, but nearly 10 yrs...me and my buddys made croatian web site about u2, feel free to check it out, although it's in croatian (u2croatia) and also a international one (u2discotheque)...you're all welcome...
I'm a huge u2wanderer site fan, all you need to know is right there, lyrics, albums, interesting facts...love it!
well, that's all falks...4 now...huge hello from croatia!

jimbo913

Re: Introductions?
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2008, 12:26:35 PM »
Hey Slaneman, sorry for my looong delay in posting.  I might just take you up on that!

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
    • http://www.u2wanderer.org
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2009, 10:15:18 PM »
wow.  did i forget to post here?!   ::)

OK so I suck at forums in general...I'll try to fill in here, but in the meantime I thought I'd bump this up to see if anyone else is around that wanted to say hello!!

Walk On

• nothing to win and nothing left to lose
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2009, 09:06:05 AM »
I thought I'd bump this up to see if anyone else is around that wanted to say hello!!
So hello everyone! My name is Mikhail and i'm from Russia. Nice to see you all, this wonderful place with many-many information about greatest band in the world.  :D
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 05:04:06 PM by Walk On »

Z000

• And I have no reasons, no reasons to get back
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2009, 01:13:43 AM »
My name is JD, I'm 22. I remember they used to play Pride, Still Haven't Found, With or Without You, Mysterious Ways, and One on the radio when I was little, so for years that was all I knew of their stuff. Having listened now to just about every song they've done, it was a good selection to be introduced with.

Around late 2003 I got both their Best Of albums, and in 2004 or 2005 I got the U2 iPod and "Complete" digital box set. I saw them live in Boston on 2005 Dec 5. I previously downloaded torrents of most of the songs the box set was missing, but I really prefer having hard copies (and legal ones, at that) of my music collection, so I deleted all the songs I didn't legally own and started looking for them in print. That's when I found this website, which has been invaluable in writing up my "Completing U2" checklist.

I'm not a fan of live recordings, I feel like you really have to be there for a live performance to work. When I listen to a live CD I hear my favorite songs with uneven instrument levels, crowd noise, and occasionally fumbled lyrics. That said, some songs were made so much better the way they were played live and I wish there were some proper studio recordings of them in that style.

I like the whole gamut of U2's work; there's so much variety in sound that it's hard to pick a single favorite song. But my favorite album is probably Rattle and Hum.

That's a whole lot of stuff about me, and you're probably sick of it by now, so I guess I'll stop.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 02:11:26 AM by Z000 »

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
    • http://www.u2wanderer.org
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2009, 08:49:27 PM »
OK so i'm Aaron.  I started this place out on some freebie webpage provider in 1995 as a class project - so we date roughly to April 1995.  I was finishing my chemistry degree and needed an easy course to get through the year, and ended up learning about webpages.  I got bonus points for actually uploading the site on the web as "Aaron's U2 Site".

I then went off to do an Engineering degree.  And I would eventually take a job in Engineering which landed me in the quiet backwoods of Nova Scotia where this iteration of the site was born...I had lots of time on my hands, and this provided me with a means of staying sane...

Other than the U2 stuff?  Huge fan of Neil Gaiman as a writer.  I still read comic books, and have hung out at the head offices of DC Comics with friends who work there more than once.  I like sci-fi.  Star Wars was one of the first movies I ever saw...if not the first...I also have a bit of an artsy side and do sketch, water colour paint, and work with acrylics from time to time.  And I love fussing about with this website, as well as doing some work on my concert review site over at ajsams.com

U2?  Got hooked in 1983 hearing the final crowd during "40" on UABRS.  It was a while later I fell into full fan mode...buying a single for WTSHNN and realizing there were extra songs on there pretty much pulled me into collecting.  I've helped out with Pimm's concert book (last edition) and Matt's U2: A Diary and also helped out with (uncredited) the discography in the back of "U2: The Complete Guide to their Music" by Graham / van Oosten de Boer.

I've seen them 29 times at the current date since 1997.  Dublin to Honolulu.  And based on the fine album I'm hearing right now, I'll probably see them just a few times this tour...

Favorite album?  Zooropa in summer.  Unforgettable Fire in winter.
Favorite song?  Running to Stand Still.

God, Part II

« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2009, 03:31:43 PM »
Hey, hey!  Pull your family and yourself around the campfire, good friends, because my ego's in need of a self-stroking!  My name is Travis and I'll be 37 on June 24th (that makes me a Cancer, with Sagittarius Moon and Leo Rising, for those of you into that kind of thing).  I'm only 37 on the outside, though; my heart and soul came across a rare vial of the elixir of Life and hasn't yet made it past age 16.  I was born and raised, and currently live, in Tulsa, OK, USA, though I'm convinced I don't have a country bone in my body (maybe there is some trace country marrow in one, though; it took a long, long time for me to fall in love with "Love Rescue Me", but I eventually did).  I grew up believing I would be a film director; as everything from finances to geography to the whole "wife and two kids" cliche had their respective rounds in the ring with me, I've had to settle for a still-rather-satisfying life as a new hire training instructor at the nation's fifth largest wireless provider. 

I have a collector's metality/neurosis already, so this site has been the most natural fit for me I've ever encountered on the Web, and if it were to one day perish from the Earth, you cannot imagine the dark depths of depression and insanity to which I'd be plunged.  My love affair with U2 began when I was all of 9-10 years old, when the nacent MTV featured the video of a group of ragtag, puffy coifed Irish lads performing a song called "Gloria" in heavy rotation.  A song which had all the rock energy of, say, The J. Geils Band (the first LP I ever purchased was FREEZE FRAME), but with a power, majesty and scope to the song and lyrics unlike anything available on Top 40 radio...or even the rapidly aging stuff my mother listened to from the already calcified decades of the '70s and '60s.  My appreciation of them grew with "New Year's Day", "Sunday Bloody Sunday" and "Pride" but it wasn't until the truly life-altering, transcendant arrival of "Where the Streets Have No Name" that I became "married" to the music of U2 and knew unequivocably that I had found the band that would define the soundtrack of my life forevermore.  Due in very large part to the guidance of this powerhouse site, I have just this week collected my 220th 221st and 222nd U2-and-U2-related CD, the U2.com fan club exclusive MEDIUM, RARE AND REMASTERED the 2-track and 3-track European singles for "Magnificent" (but, sorry, my collector tastes run strictly digital--no vinyl or tape for me). 

My collector mentality has also been responsible for my amassment of 1,800 Blu-rays and DVDs, nearly every Stephen King book in hardback, as well as enough STAR TREK memorabilia to build a fort to protect myself from nuclear fallout.  With the solitary exclusion of the death penalty (I'll pull the lever myself, if someone ever touches my family), I'm a devout liberal.  I have a wicked, deeply sarcastic and non-PC sense of humor (which has led to my banning from a couple of other non-U2 sites, but I see no issue with the quality of discussion here).  Lastly, those who read the forums at @U2.com may remember a rather robust thread I started there last year, inquiring whether or not I was the only agnostic/atheist fan of U2 (only to find precious proof that the U.S. is quite a bit more hung up on that kind of thing than Europe).  I'm eternally grateful to all the contributors of this amazing site; in fact, I tried to submit some information over a year ago on some titles I have that are still missing from this site (most notably, a Japanese CD called THE BAND AID SPECIAL with, to my knowledge, the only digital appearances of the "Do They Know It's Christmas?" 12" Mix and "Feed the World") but never received any reply of interest.  So, if someone knows how I can get info to the people here that want it and need it, let me know...good to be with you all!     
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 10:40:33 AM by God, Part II »