Author Topic: War/No More Trouble  (Read 7228 times)

slaneman

War/No More Trouble
« on: June 06, 2009, 10:16:28 PM »
I'm puzzled that nobody is talking about this song, which to my ears, is so much better than all the Magnificent remixes added up together. It's readily available for instant gratification at Starbucks, or if you're piling things in your Amazon cart to make free shipping, you can buy it there for 2 bucks less.

You get a CD and a DVD. The DVD contains a video version of War / No More Trouble, the only difference is an added guitar introduction.  The different musician's are mixed together from all over the globe. It's a classic Bob Marley song. We all know how much Bono loved Marley's music and he contributes a wonderful vocal part. All the performers contribute excellent parts. Great stuff.

Playing For Change/Songs Around The World
appears on the Concord Music Label, historically one of the most prestigious jazz labels known for only the highest quality productions of great artists. Check out their catalogue--

http://www.concordmusicgroup.com/

Concord Music group's recent reissue of Frank Sinatra's classic My Way album contains liner notes by Bono from his NY Times guest editorial. I got 2 copies of that one.  ;)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 10:24:31 PM by slaneman »

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
    • http://www.u2wanderer.org
Re: War/No More Trouble
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 10:50:19 AM »
I just got this one last week, along with my Magnificent Remixes promo, and the Pete Tong Essential Selection 2005 CD (different edit of City of Blinding Lights Paradise Soul Remix).  Looks like I have to get updating the By Song list ASAP!!

Love the vocals Bono contributed to this one though.  Really great, and I really like the whole song.  One of the better 'covers' the boys have done.  I haven't watched the DVD yet.  I might have to do that this afternoon after I get my computer put back to pieces :-)  (new router lol)

Crayon

• Remaste(RED)
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 11:48:48 AM »
I just received the Taiwanese CD/DVD promo in the mail the other day. I'll have to check it out soon to see if it's any different.

Thanks to both of you for the heads up on the Tong CDs.

God, Part II

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 03:06:20 PM »
I'm puzzled that nobody is talking about this song, which to my ears, is so much better than all the Magnificent remixes added up together.

It's really good, but now you're just talking crazy talk.

Oh, and Aaron, thanks for the Pete Tong heads-up (and I apologize for my wallet giving you the middle finger...he's adopted); I'll have to snag that on Friday.  Not to sound too entitled, but c'mon, guys, stuff like that proves we need a discography update bad!

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 03:20:45 PM »
ha.  i just found out about it myself.  so even if the discography was updated in the last month, it wouldn't have been listed.

i am keeping the 'by song' listing as current as possible.  thats my eventual master list to updating the whole discography.  as time permits i'm getting stuff in there...

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 05:18:24 PM »
Really like Bono's voice on War/No More Trouble.

I guess I better order those Tong CDs before you guys buy out the stock. They're probably wondering WTF is with all these orders on a 2005 dance comp.

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2009, 05:24:10 PM »
Gah! only two of those Tong CDs left in stock so I went ahead and ordered. Thanks Aaron. :P

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2009, 07:04:33 PM »
Watch as Aaron sends all the U2 fans into a frenzy.  :-)

Z000

• And I have no reasons, no reasons to get back
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2009, 07:38:57 PM »
I've been looking forward to this CD ever since the first issue of (RED)Wire had the video for Stand By Me. I didn't even know Bono appeared on one of the tracks.
Fun fact: I uploaded that video to YouTube because I loved it so much, and in the five months since then I still get comments from viewers around the world about how beautiful and amazing it is.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhwZYgQ7Bsc

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2009, 11:54:46 AM »
I apologize for my wallet giving you the middle finger...he's adopted

My wallet is much lighter this month, too, and it's only the 8th. I've got the German 2-track Magnificent single on the way, the US Magnificent Single, the Pete Tong CD, and this...

Yet another Martin Hannett compilation with 11 O'clock Tick Tock. I somehow missed this release back in 2006. It's probably just the single version, but I couldn't find any additional info on it.

Let's hope they wait a few weeks before they start rolling on the Crazy Tonight promos.  :P
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 11:56:50 AM by Brad »

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2009, 02:17:56 PM »
My wallet is much lighter this month, too, and it's only the 8th.

Ah, crap the new iPhone is being released this month as well.  :'(

Scarlet

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2009, 02:29:02 PM »

Yet another Martin Hannett compilation with 11 O'clock Tick Tock. I somehow missed this release back in 2006. It's probably just the single version, but I couldn't find any additional info on it.

it's similar to the single version but the runtime is exactly 4:00

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2009, 03:00:40 PM »
Hmm... Must be the version from "And Here Is The Young Man," then. I already have that one.

I'm still trying to track down a copy of "Martin" at a reasonable price.

Scarlet

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2009, 05:25:38 PM »
Hmm... Must be the version from "And Here Is The Young Man," then. I already have that one.

that version is 4:03, but they both sound similar, about 10s longer than the single version

God, Part II

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2009, 06:46:19 AM »
Got the Pete Tong Essential Selection CD in yesterday.  Weird remix...I'd never heard it before; it's got a lovely bittersweet quality to the reworking of the melody but Bono's voice has been slowed down and the pitch altered, so it sounds alternately like an old 45 rpm LP being played at 33 1/3 or just like someone other than Bono is singing on the track.  That's gonna take some getting used to...