Author Topic: Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark  (Read 10685 times)

Z000

• And I have no reasons, no reasons to get back
Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark
« on: March 05, 2009, 08:40:09 PM »
Two recent Rolling Stone articles about the Spider-Man musical Bono and the Edge have been providing music for:

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2009/02/25/u2-spider-man-musical-swinging-onto-broadway-february-2010/
http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2009/03/04/u2-talk-horizon-follow-up-spider-man-musical-in-rolling-stone-cover-story/

What do you think? I'm not really going to feel good or bad about it until I've heard it.

Musicals really really don't appeal to me, especially recent ones. I already dislike the way that every successful book or movie is being adapted for stage, so it's worse that now they're sticking their noses in my comic books. I don't know how a rock & roll musical would sound, especially powered by U2, but hopefully it'll help take some of the corn out of the stereotypical musical.

I didn't care for a single track in the movie Across the Universe (even the Bono ones, shockingly) because stylistically was a lot like "the cast of Rent sings The Beatles." So the fact people are eyeing the same stars to play lead roles for Spider-Man is discouraging to me.

On a related note, has anyone heard any songs from their soundtrack to RSC's "A Clockwork Orange" besides Alex Descends Into Hell?

Carl

• Administrator
  • Transcriber
    • u2w
Re: Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 12:29:13 AM »
Only musical I like is Les Miserables. :p

Z000

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 03:27:41 AM »
That's one of my three exceptions. Les Mis, Phantom of the Opera, and Jesus Christ Superstar.

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
    • http://www.u2wanderer.org
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 07:05:06 PM »
I have a bunch of friends who work for Marvel comics...so far they aren't hearing much about this, but as the show gets closer they'll probably get a sneak peek and all.  i'm hoping to catch any swag that comes out for it...you know there will be a cast recording, and a playbill, and a zillion other things to grab lol.

Z000

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 10:33:29 PM »
Get as much extra swag as you can get your hands on -- I'm sure I'm not the only one on here who would gladly buy some off you.

MidMoU2Fan

• Where the Streets Have No Name
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 11:09:40 PM »
Being an old Marvel fan, it sounds intriguing
Being a U2 fan, I'm curious...
Combining the two,....
I reserve judgement until I can hear some stuff

Carl

• Administrator
  • Transcriber
    • u2w
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009, 04:33:14 PM »

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 04:35:44 PM »
well that explains where the principle management folk were when PJ Harvey was performing...lol.  their table was empty in the VIP area for the longest time...

Crayon

• Remaste(RED)
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2009, 11:00:21 PM »
Sorry for being late to the party. Having read the recent articles I can confirm that the Spiderman outtakes that have been circulating for a year or so are "fake" in the sense that they are not related to the Bono/Edge production. Their lyrics do not match any of the given song titles.

dagobah

• exploring nature in Yellowstone/Grand Teton
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2012, 03:09:39 PM »
I know this topic is real old . . . . . the last time a comment was posted was May 2009.  But I finally got around to checking out the Spider-man Turn Off The Dark soundtrack, written by Bono & The Edge.  According to Wikipedia, the soundtrack was officially released in June 2011.  Today is January 31, 2012 so that was only about 7 months ago.

I listened to each track on YouTube.  For some of them, I didn't have to listen very long before realizing I didn't like them.  The only one I ended up buying from iTunes was Rise Above 1.  Did anyone else like any of the tracks enough to buy them?

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2012, 09:13:17 AM »
I bought the CD when it came out.  I really enjoy some things, and not others.

"Boy Falls from the Sky" is a fave of mine. I also like "Rise Above 1".  My favorite is probably "A Freak Like Me Needs Company".  Something about that track keeps bringing me back to it.  Wish I could hear Bono singing that one...

Most of it I could probably do without.  Wasn't in a big hurry to see the production after hearing the cast album I'm afraid, it kind of dampened my need to go see it.

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2012, 12:46:55 PM »
My completist tendencies have gotten the better of me again and I ordered the Rise Above 1 single. The shipping to a US address was an oh-so-much-more-reasonable $11 for an already overpriced $5 one-track CD. They just stuck the CD in a padded envelope and sent it standard mail so the math doesn't quite seem to work for me.  ::)

Anyway...

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2012, 02:13:56 PM »
Sorry for unearthing that one Brad.  I had to have one too.  Even if i have the promo, and the album...

nunoandy

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2012, 12:36:23 PM »
This Spiderman Musical music has passed me by a little. Other than writing, do Bono and Edge play on tracks from the soundtrack album, or just the Rise Above single?

miryclay

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2012, 08:02:31 PM »
Get it. It is fantastic.