Author Topic: get on your boots (crookers remix) on itunes uk  (Read 9930 times)

Trevor

get on your boots (crookers remix) on itunes uk
« on: February 15, 2009, 11:01:28 AM »
I just bought this new remix on itunes uk:
http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?id=305183610&s=143444
I never liked the "latest" u2 remixes (...since the 90s) but I think this one is the worst...

Carl

• Administrator
  • Transcriber
    • u2w
Re: get on your boots (crookers remix) on itunes uk
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 04:17:57 PM »
There have been a handful of 00 ones I liked... BD Quincy and Sonance (spelling?), elevation influx, maybe a few others.  But yeah overall U2 remixes tend to be... too aware they're remixing a U2 song?

Bloc Party for whatever reason often gets really interesting / creative ones. :p

slaneman

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 04:23:04 PM »
Don't really "like" this one but I like the unaccompanied lyrics. First time I could actually hear what he was singing.  :D

For some reason I liked the Salome remixes... I love the "Ooh I gotta getcha, got to got to getcha "

:)

Z000

• And I have no reasons, no reasons to get back
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 10:01:34 PM »
There are a couple different ways U2 remixes go. There are the literal ones, that just rearrange the levels and tracks from the original mix (like the Mike Hedges mixes on Best of 90-00, or the USA versions of Two Hearts or New Years Day). There are the ones that create a completely new backing track. There are ones that sample from the original song and combine with varying amounts of original tracks. In general, they cover a wide range from just barely changing the song, to adding a dancy rhythm, to creating a new feel, to creating an entirely new song.

I'm a huge fan of the remixes. My latest thing has been buying vinyls with exclusive remixes, copying them to my computer and cleaning them up. My current favorite is the City of Blinding Lights - Phones P.D.A. in N.Y.C. Mix.

I gave a listen to the Pete Tong Exclusive radio rip of the Crookers mix. It falls short, but I give credit for the attempt. They had an interesting take on the song, it strips down the original quite a bit. I think it could benefit from a stronger rhythm throughout, especially during the verses. Not good enough to buy on its own, but perhaps if it backs one of the singles.

I'm actually just starting a big U2 remix project of my own, though my options are pretty limited with only the full versions of songs and not the studio recording tracks.

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 01:31:32 AM »
God, I hope this isn't the "punk version."  ;D

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 02:31:35 AM »
I never liked the "latest" u2 remixes (...since the 90s) but I think this one is the worst...

Not quite as odd as that Jackknife Lee remix of WITS, but I at least find that one to be interesting.

Carl

• Administrator
  • Transcriber
    • u2w
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 04:43:07 AM »
WITS?

For my two cents I usually like the more "alternate" version than typical dance/techno remixes for U2, though there a number of good ones.  Speaking of 00s remixes and Mr. Jackknife, the Fast Cars remix is fun.

Z000

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009, 06:15:20 PM »
I haven't heard of a Jacknife Lee mix of Window in the Skies. Is it a bootleg?

The Jacknife Lee mix of Fast Cars is cool, though somewhere in the middle it essentially is the same song with the instrument levels adjusted. Still, I like it better than the original Fast Cars. Though my favorite version is Xanax & Wine from Unreleased & Rare.

My favorite of the alternate version (non dance/club/techno) remixes is probably Dirty Day (Junk Day). Numb (Mike Hedges Mix), from Best of 90-00, does a nice job of improving the song with just little touches.

The worst of the remixes I know is Mofo (Mother's Mix). What it does is done well, but in my opinion sounds like they put the song in a garbage disposal. Close second is probably Numb (Soul Assassins Mix): it's a different direction and it works, but it's simpleminded.

Scarlet

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2009, 08:48:47 PM »
The Jacknife Lee remix of WITS , was officially sanctioned , but never released , it was on www.jacknifelee.com and was actually labeled "Window In The Sky" as some of the earlier promo cds were

runtime is 5:23

oh and this remix should be called the "Crook" remix , I feel I have been robbed  :D

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2009, 12:43:53 AM »

slaneman

Carl

• Administrator
  • Transcriber
    • u2w
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2009, 04:05:49 AM »
Um, yeah I've been out of the loop.  ;D

re: title track of the thread - the main riff is annoying... but I find parts of the arrangement kind of fun actually haha.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 04:17:22 AM by Carl »

Trevor

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2009, 04:56:30 AM »
hope they put something really interesting on the other singles from the album... please stop with all these techno remixes... this is not music  ;)

slaneman

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2009, 09:07:30 PM »
I've seen the crookers remix available on a Danish promo CD for Boots. If you need to have it lossless.  ;)

Z000

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2009, 04:44:34 PM »
God, I hope this isn't the "punk version."  ;D

Unless the punk version turns up on one of the other singles, it would seem so.