Author Topic: U2: A Diary--by Matt McGee  (Read 4955 times)

slaneman

U2: A Diary--by Matt McGee
« on: November 25, 2008, 01:26:41 AM »
Just came out and now only 19.97 at Amazon. Highly recommended. I got mine a couple weeks ago and am still reading it for fun and as a reference.

I'll rank it up there with U2 by U2 and Pimm's book as a must have for serious fans. In fact, it's a necessary companion to U2 by U2 because it provides dates for the bands quotes and meanderings. It's full of anecdotes and pictures and is very entertaining to read through for fun, but there's a staggering amount of research that went into it. If you can appreciate all the work that went into Pimm's tour history then you'll get an idea of the wealth of details contained in this book. For example, I've been obsessing about Another Time, Another Place, and I found an entry that gave me the exact date they went into the studio and cut the first demo. Very cool.

It's laid out in chronological order from 1950 through the end of 2007. Every year is a chapter so it's easy to find what you're looking for---but you'll probably get distracted and keep reading.

There's no new album yet and Sugar Daddy ain't going to do it for you...and you won't find a more comprehensive or authoritative or better researched book about U2. Put it on your Christmas list.  ;)

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
Re: U2: A Diary--by Matt McGee
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 01:40:51 PM »
Don't forget the (RED)WIRE track and the 2008 U2.com holiday gift.  ::)

I'll definitely have to pick this book up at some point.  I've corresponded with Matt a few times over the years and he's a genuinely great guy.  I'm hoping someone will send me an Amazon.com gift card for Christmas.

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
    • http://www.u2wanderer.org
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 06:21:23 PM »
Reading this now.  Lovely book.  :)

I helped out with this book in a couple of places, and Matt used U2W quite a bit for reference along the way in writing this when it came to release notes...

FAYF

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 06:14:34 PM »
Hi Aaron, it was a facinating way to write the book,through the help of fans and fan websites,and the website blog, I helped out too and it was great to be involved in the book.