Author Topic: with or without you  (Read 8272 times)

my3pink_gems

with or without you
« on: February 19, 2007, 03:22:37 AM »
newbie here. I don't know much about U2, but my older brother has some u2 Cd's and i have enjoyed listening to them so far. seen a concert on dvd from an officemate's computer. when the band played with or without you, bono took a beautiful girl from the audience (from her feautures i believe she's asian) and sang lying on the stage with her. and when the song climaxed the stage lit up showing its heart shape. that was very lovely. that's when i fell in love with bono =) I joined this forum to get to know more about the group and their songs. Would really appreciate your interpretations on the song with our without you. thanks

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 08:16:56 PM »
Welcome!

If you're new to U2, I think you'll find that one of the great things about the band is that the lyrics are often open to interpretation.

This is one song, however, that I've always taken at face value.  I think it's about a relationship that is passionate, but ultimately destructive.

I'm going to zip this thread over to the "Lyrics Interpretation" forum.

slaneman

(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2007, 06:31:01 PM »
Welcome and hope you continue looking into their music. I envy you in a way, knowing all the great songs you’ll be discovering for the first time. Keep listening!

If you like this song please check out the version on the Rattle and Hum movie which many (myself included) consider to be a classic live version.  Also the version on the ZooTV from Sydney show.

I think it’s about someone’s passionate love and the conflicts and contradictions involved between trying to be yourself and trying to keep the love affair going. I don’t think it’s a destructive relationship, however, despite the obvious pain that’s described for both parties in this affair. No truly passionate relationship can exist without great emotional risks. It’s nothing less than the essence of love.

You'll probably also like The Unforgettable Fire as well.