Author Topic: Lossless Download Store  (Read 5282 times)

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
Lossless Download Store
« on: March 10, 2013, 01:54:20 AM »
Anyone have any Polish connections? This MP3 store appears to have lossless versions of tracks that have previously only been available on iTunes, such as the Magnificent UK Edit and the Live From Milan tracks.

http://gaude.pl/en/album/20988,u2-magnificent-ep1.html

I tried to buy a few tracks to see if they were legit, but it wouldn't let me pay from a US IP address. There's a Union Jack on there so maybe it's possible to buy from the UK?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 01:56:45 AM by Brad »

pop

Re: Lossless Download Store
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 04:22:35 PM »
Hi, due to the rules of the service, you can pay only via bank transfer or PAYU system (http://www.en.payu.pl/). Perhaps that's the reason it didn't work ?

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 10:51:38 PM »
I didn't even get that far. The site detected my US IP address and wouldn't allow me to proceed to checkout. But yeah, I'm sure paying would have been a problem too. :)

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
    • http://www.u2wanderer.org
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 11:21:05 AM »
Yes, the site also blocked me the minute I tried to check out sensing the Canadian IP address...

pop

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 03:40:06 AM »
Guys, if you want to, I can ask the owner of the store for possible solution for foreign IP's ?

MartinTexas

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 04:13:06 PM »
I'm from Poland. It something new for me. Never seen this site. I don't know if this site is lawful. The prices are a little high.

Maybe try this site: http://www.qobuz.com/album/magnificent-u2/0060252707402

It's French site. They've got a lot of lossless music, but I couldn't buy it from Poland.... :/ Maybe try someday this Polish site - then I'll inform you about real quaity.  :P

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 08:13:38 AM »
The French site has the same tracks that the Polish one does, and they also claim lossless quality (or CD quality I guess). 

The French site is also looking at IP addresses, and recognized that I was in Canada and would not let me purchase, but it does look like U2 has released a set of lossless files to a wide variety of these smaller sites and some have been selling them in that format.  The songs listed in both the French and the Polish store seem to be the same songs given to both.

I'm going to check out a couple of Canadian sites to see what I might find. 

A.

miryclay

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 09:40:46 PM »
I didn't want to support or advertise any sites that might be dubious or offer less than ideal tracks. But since we are talking about it , this is a site I came across,

<removed>

has mp3 copies of AB Super Deluxe tracks or many others you might want to eventually dig for. 
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 04:34:02 PM by Aaron »

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2013, 04:37:23 PM »
Hi -- I removed the link to the mp3 site.  They have content there that U2 has not made available for purchase in such a manner, therefore I doubt the legitimacy of the entire site and the source of their tracks.  The fan club albums etc, are not available for purchase, and in reviewing the site, I've learned they are bending RIAA rules by hosting the site in foreign countries.  Various reviews also pointed towards the lack of quality on some of the tracks / rips.  I prefer not to have such a site advertised here.  Sorry. 

miryclay

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2013, 09:34:34 PM »
Thats cool...I figured as much. But since we were talking about dubious Eastern European sites I thought I would chime in....

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2013, 06:49:34 AM »
Thats cool...I figured as much. But since we were talking about dubious Eastern European sites I thought I would chime in....

No harm no foul.

The two sites discussed earlier in the thread are selling lossless audio tracks, of material U2 has specifically chosen to release already to online shops, such as the "Magnificent" single, the live "Joshua Tree" album, and "Original of the Species (Single Version)".  We've known these are approved released tracks as they've been well documented, and have appeared on legitimate sites such as 7digital and iTunes UK.  What makes these stores interesting is this is the first time that these have been made for sale in a lossless format as far as I know.  I did manage to get my hands on some tracks from the Polish store, and we haven't been able to say they aren't from a lossless source.  It suggests U2 may have made these tracks available.

The site I removed the link from appears to be an enterprising third party store.  They have material there which has not been made available for commercial purchase, such as the most recent fan club discs.  Just quickly looking i saw U22, the Super Deluxe discs sold separate, a rip of the audio of the Popmart DVD and the Rose Bowl DVD, some bootlegs ("Golden Unplugged", "Vertigo World Tour", "Inside and Out", "Hampden Park", "Papaya Remixes for Propaganda"), and Interview Discs ("Maximum U2").  While we may question the two European sites listed earlier in the thread, there's no evidence they aren't legitimately licensed to sell U2 material, while the one who's link I removed clearly is trading in material not approved for sale by U2. 

I did a lot of looking around the web and many of the reviews suggest the same thing - that it appears to be a site where someone's downloaded a bunch of material off the web and created a store front to sell the tracks for cheap.  As such it does circumvent the RIAA and other such organizations who have worked to set minimum pricing on individual tracks.

We have an agreement with Universal publishing that allows us to carry the lyrics on the site.  We are one of the few sites that I know of on the internet that has such a working agreement with Universal and we do our best to not stray into the grey areas of "U2 on the internet" in return so as to not risk that agreement.  The first two sites may be leaving people wonder "is this real?" but the third doesn't leave a lot of doubt that it's not legitimate to me.  I do thank you for the time in finding the link and posting it here.  It's great to bring information here to share with fellow fans and I thank anyone for doing so.  Just in this case I wasn't comfortable with the link itself. 

Just wanted to clearly point out why I removed the one and not the other two, sorry I didn't have more time last night to go into detail.