Author Topic: Wake Up Dead Man  (Read 7010 times)

rivergoat

• Parser
Wake Up Dead Man
« on: January 03, 2004, 04:23:03 PM »
You know, I'm beginning to wonder about all the excuses U2 made about not having enough time to finish "Pop" properly... of course, this song has supposedly been in the works since "Zooropa".

Anyways, it is just LOADED with little goodies, this is what I have been able to isolate and record so far:

RIGHT  STEREO CHANNEL

Very beginning: crowd cheering noise

Right after "...eternity": high pitched, skewed-up voice saying "Why is it so loud? O my!"
Same voice, just before bass entry: "I'm ready!"

Very last: "Our scientific program today is a (real eye-opener). This year, one of our programs was to examine how Jesus lived." (sounds like a BBC show?)

End, reversed, sung: "And the tour (poor?) will tell..." (sounds like Edge)

LEFT STEREO CHANNEL

Very beginning, super-speeded up: "Ask a younger guy, let him come, bitch."/"I think I'm rich/Mitch"

Beginning, just before singing starts, artificially deep voice: "Baaa-badum-badum." (reversed)
Same voice, right after "Jesus, Jesus help me": "Adam is a butthead" (may be reversed "Help me")
Same voice, right after "I'm in alone in this world.": "Carrot stick." (may be reversed "It's alright")
Same voice, just after "Tell me a story...": "Sorrow" (reversed)
Same voice, right at end: "So now what?" (speeded up, reversed)

End, right after music cut out, slightly speeded up: "I'm sorry, he's the/a bad brother"

I know there's alot more, it's just hard to isolate.

goat

}:)~

rivergoat

• Parser
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2004, 04:24:43 PM »
oh, didn't know it would censor...refers to female dog...

goat

Carl

• Administrator
  • Transcriber
    • u2w
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2004, 05:40:00 PM »
I cut out a lot of default censored words since they show up in lyrics, but didn't think that one would be used except as an insult so I left it in the filter.  I guess I'll take it out. :)  

End, reversed, sung: "And the tour (poor?) will tell..." (sounds like Edge)

I believe this is "And the poor will toil" from Van Diemen's Land, on the other channel you can hear the star spangled banner bit if I'm correct.

rivergoat

• Parser
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2004, 01:22:59 AM »
Note: some sounds are heard in both channels, but are easier to hear/parse in one channel or the other. I copied each stereo channel to its own stereo .WAV to make it easier to parse (mono .WAVs don't have enough depth). In other words, each audio file is in stereo, but it was created from only one original stereo channel (either the right or the left).

RIGHT CHANNEL

Very beginning: crowd cheering noise

*Right after "...eternity": high pitched, skewed-up voice saying "Why is it so loud? O my!"
*Same voice, just before bass entry: "I'm ready!"
 - At same time, laughter in background

*At end, whispered: "He will save your soul." (possibly Bono)
*Right after above whisper, left-channel voice says "Fuck" (slightly speeded up)

*End, right after music cut out, slightly speeded up: "He's the/a bad brother" (reversed)

*Very last: "Our scientific program today is a real (eye-opener(?)). This year, one of our programs was to examine how Jesus lived." (pitch lowered at very end) (sounds like a British announcer, possibly BBC?)

*End, reversed, sung: "And the poor will toil..." (Edge from Van Diemen's Land) (overlapping BBC announcer dude)

LEFT CHANNEL

* Very beginning, super-speeded up: "Ask a younger guy, I think I'm rich/Mitch"
* Very beginning: drum track, reversed

Someone's voice, lowered in pitch, is heard throughout the song in the background. My gut feeling tells me that it's Larry. Where I say 'whispering', the voice is just lower in volume.
* - beginning, just before singing starts: "Baaa-badum-badum." (reversed)
* - right after "Jesus, Jesus help me": "Adam is a butthead.... please help" (reversed "Why doesn't somebody help me") (fades out, pauses, and fades back in during "somebody")
* - right after "I'm in alone in this world.": "Carrot stick." (reversed "It's alright")
* - in between "alone" and "in this world": "What?"
* - different voice (Edge?), after "in this world": "That's enough."
* - whispering just after "...world it is too": "See emotion" (reversed "Oh shit, police")
* - whispering just after first "tell me...": "No machine" (reversed)
* - just after "Tell me a story...": "Sorrow" (reversed)
* - whispering just after "...about eternity": "I wish I could have done better."
* - just after "The way it's all gonna be": "Listen quietly" (may be reversed "Why tell bullshit")
* - different voice, right after first "Wake up": unknown whispering sound (possibly "Somebody save me")
* - different voice(?), whispering just after first "Wake up dead man": "Are you sure that's all?"
* - just after "I'm waiting here boss.": "What do you want?" (speeded up, reversed)
* - just after "...looking out for us": "Shut up" (speeded up) "Please" (both reversed)
* - just after ".. tell you what to do.": "That's definately better." (reversed, speeded up)
* - right at end: "So now what?" (speeded up, reversed)
* - different voice, whispering just before "Can we rewind it...": "Listen"

Here is all the above placed where it is in the song. The actual vocals are in boldface, the 'bits' are preceded by the abbreviation of the stereo channel I swiped them from.

L: Ask a younger guy, [let him come, bitch]/[I think I'm rich]
L: Baaa-badum-badum (reversed)
Jesus

Jesus help me

L: Adam is a butthead (reverse - Why doesn't somebody help me?)
I'm aloneWhat? in this worldThat's enough
L: Carrot stick (reverse - It's alright)
And a fucked up world it is too
L: See emotion (reverse - oh shit, police)
Tell me
L: No machine (reversed)
Tell me the story
L: Sorrow (reversed)
The one about eternity
R: Why is it so loud? Oh my!
L: I wish I could have done better
And the way it's all gonna be
L: Listen quietly (reverse - why tell bullshit)
Wake up
L: Somebody save me
Wake up dead man
L: Are you sure that's all?
Wake up

Wake up dead man

R: I'm ready!
Jesus

I'm waiting here boss

L: What do you want? (reversed)
I know You're looking out for us
L: Shut up... please (reversed)
But maybe Your hands aren't free

Your father

Made the world in seven

He's in charge of heaven

Will You put a word in for me

Wake up

Wake up dead man

Wake up

Wake up dead man

Listen to the words they tell you what to do

L: That's definately better (reversed)
Listen over the rhythm that's confusing you

Listen to the reed in the saxophone

Listen over the hum of the radio

Listen over sounds of quiet in rotation

Listen through the traffic in circulation

Listen to this hopeful voice try to rhyme

Listen over marching beats playing out of time

Wake up
Wake up dead man
Wake up
Wake up dead man

Jesus

Were You just around the corner?

Did You think to try and warn her?

Were You working on something new?

If there's an order

In all of this disorder

Is it like a tape recorder?

L: Listen
Can we rewind it just once more?

Wake up

Wake up dead man

Wake up

Wake up dead man

Wake up

Wake up dead man

R: He's the/a bad brother (reversed)
R: He will save your soul
R: Fuck
L: So now what? (reversed)

R: Our scientific program today is a real (eye-opener(?)). This year, one of our programs was to examine how Jesus lived.
R: And the poor will toil... (Edge from Van Diemen's Land)

goat

rivergoat

• Parser
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2004, 02:33:25 AM »
a few more left-channel tidbits for you:

~~under "Listen over rhythm...": "I need some help." (reversed, sped up)
~~under "...that's confusing you": "It's confusing you."
~~just after "...that's confusing you": "He is a prophet" (reversed, sped up)
~~under "Listen to the reed...": "That's nasty" (maybe reversed, sped up "You can't have it")
~~under "...saxophone": "Looks a bit young" (maybe reversed, sped up "I can be a butcher")
~~under "Listen to the hum...": "Listen crybaby.. I don't." (maybe reversed, sped up "Give it up. He'll never die.")
~~different voice(?), whispering before "Were you just around...": "Have mercy" (sped up slightly)
~~just before "Were you just around...": "Murderer" (sped up) (maybe reversed, sped up "[It's me]/Speak")
~~underneath "just around the...":"See me"

as you can see, some bits seem to make sense both backwards and forwards.. sometimes it's funny what I come up with, sometimes it's downright scary }:)~ haven't finished this section of the song yet really, but my ears got tired the other night and I haven't come back to it. got them ready for upload though...

goat

rivergoat

• Parser
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2004, 02:29:48 AM »
More stuff...

After the second 'Wake up dead man' you can hear a chorus of voices in the background - I haven't been able to decipher what they're singing exactly, but it just sounds really neat. It sounds like something that could have been an original backing vocal(s) to the song - it fits right in!

'Van Dieman's Land' IS buried underneath this song - the whole thing! Forwards! It begins right after 'Jesus help me' and though it's hard to pick up much of the time, you can definately hear it again during the 'Listen to the...' part.

The 'ghost' sounds during the verse with 'just around the corner' are sounding more and more like they were something else that was slowed down. They continue through the next chorus a couple of times. I haven't really worked on them yet.

goat

Edit: I orignally posted that the chorus was in the first chorus. It's in the second.

[Edited on 2004-10-10 by rivergoat]